• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sdrolls1 OFFLINE  

sdrolls1
  • Member No: 52422
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:25 PM

I have a 1997 Simplicity Sovereign with a hydrostatic transmission.  Came with a Kohler OHC.  Did a conversion to Briggs Vanguard.  Problem I am having, even before motor swap, is that tractor is slower in forward than reverse.  What could be the cause of this and what do I need to do to fix?

• Texas Deere and Horse and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:29 PM

sdrolls1, Welcome to GTtalk. I wish I could help you but that's a lot newer then anything I own. Someone will be along shortly to answer all your questions. Again Welcome!! :wave:

• sdrolls1 said thank you

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:45 PM

Welcome!  Been through Grant more times than I could ever remember!  Breakfast's at the caboose on our way north to snowmobile stand out in my mind :thumbs:

Sounds like your hydro control is out of adjustment. 

Your manual is here...take a look at page 23 for an adjustment proceedure:

http://bsintek.basco...7mRgtLvBCd6.pdf

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:47 PM

Sounds like your tractor is out of adjustment.  Take some minutes to compare the specs on your adjustments and the travel stops.

Ben W.

Edit: the very talented Mr. Green beat me to it.  He gets the credit for this one.  :thumbs:

Edited by superaben, January 08, 2014 - 09:48 PM.

• sdrolls1 said thank you

#5 sdrolls1 OFFLINE  

sdrolls1
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the help guys.  I will check it out this weekend and see what I can figure out.

@Talntedmrgreen Depot Restaurant in Grant has fed a lot of travelers.  Currently closed for remodel, opening on Jan 20 with new owners.

#6 sdrolls1 OFFLINE  

sdrolls1
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 08:36 AM

While I see how to adjust the neutral position I can't seem to figure out the forward adjustment.  Neutral position is fine.  When lever is in full forward position the roller still has over half way to go in the curved slot.  Does this make sense?  How do I adjust to get more travel?  I'm confused.

#7 sdrolls1 OFFLINE  

sdrolls1
  • 5 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 05:09 PM

I was able work on it this afternoon and found a couple of issues.  First issue was the nut on the control lever to linkage shaft was loose which meant the lever was moving and not moving the linkage.  Second issue was the spring dampener on the linkage was out of position.  I loosened the 2 bolts, moved the control lever to full forward, and moved the cam bracket to full forward position and retightened the 2 bolts.  I took it for a test drive and I have never had a garden tractor move so fast. 

Thanks for the help.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 06:15 PM

Welcome!  Been through Grant more times than I could ever remember!  Breakfast's at the caboose on our way north to snowmobile stand out in my mind :thumbs:

Sounds like your hydro control is out of adjustment. 

Your manual is here...take a look at page 23 for an adjustment proceedure:

http://bsintek.basco...7mRgtLvBCd6.pdf

Sounds like your tractor is out of adjustment.  Take some minutes to compare the specs on your adjustments and the travel stops.

Ben W.

Edit: the very talented Mr. Green beat me to it.  He gets the credit for this one.  :thumbs:

I was able work on it this afternoon and found a couple of issues.  First issue was the nut on the control lever to linkage shaft was loose which meant the lever was moving and not moving the linkage.  Second issue was the spring dampener on the linkage was out of position.  I loosened the 2 bolts, moved the control lever to full forward, and moved the cam bracket to full forward position and retightened the 2 bolts.  I took it for a test drive and I have never had a garden tractor move so fast. 

Thanks for the help.

Good news you got it going. Sounds like you've got yourself a dragster now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forward, reverse, transmission, hydrostatic