29 replies to this topic

#1 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:30 PM

Well, Im starting my first Bolens Restoration. Ive been hard at work the past couple days tearing my Bolens down. The engine and dash have been off for about 6 months and the engine was going to be used for my 900 repower project but the engine was put aside for a newer briggs 10hp from a g10. Anyways the engine does run but needs the correct carb put back on, and for right now it sits up in the shed. Bolens 1000 told me the Bolens is a 67 or so. It is a 1050. It was bought at an auction with a deck and snowblower. I ended up scraping the shell of the deck but kept the blades and stuff for parts. The snowblower had a broken pin inside the gears and i sold that to a guy out in western PA. The tractor did run and drive but the clutch was slipping. Upon taking the clutch/driveshaft out and apart, there was no more friction material left, and the bearing at the clutch fork fell out, i am going to get a used driveshaft with good bearings and discs up at the junkyard(hopefully) on friday. I know some were up there so i just have to get one. I am just going to focus on getting that and removing the trans and front axle yet and then i have going to start sanding. I am going to try and do the best job Ican with this. I will be putting a vid up on youtube soon that i took today which will give a more in depth description of what i did and want to do. Here are some pics so far....

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM1826.jpg
  • HPIM1828.jpg
  • HPIM1827.jpg
  • HPIM1825.jpg
  • HPIM1824.jpg

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:36 PM

Looks great so far.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:41 PM

Looks like you got that stripped down pretty good.

I love watching a restoration as it progresses.

From that previous thread I got it narrowed down to 67'-68'. The 1967-1968 1050's were extremely hard to tell apart so its really no biggie if you say its a 67 or 68.

arnie.jpg

#4 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:45 PM

Yep, I would say you got her stripped down. Definitely off to a good start and like others I love seeing a restoration progress so pics are mandatory as you go :D

#5 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 09:01 PM

Looks like fun. Stripping a tractor is always fun. I look forward to seeing you put it back together.

#6 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:28 AM

What is the best way to paint in cold weather? I have no place with heat to paint it? I keep all my can in the house so there at about 70F. The parts though are out in the cold which are about 25-30F I need to paint it but I want to do it right. My parents wont let me paint in the basement because of the fumes coming up through the floor into the living area. Is there anything I can do?

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:30 AM

If you want to do a good job I would probably hold off the painting until the spring.

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:38 AM

Looks like things are off to a good start.

#9 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:39 AM

If you want to do a good job I would probably hold off the painting until the spring.

Im afraid I will forget how it goes together lol

#10 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:51 AM

Well, you got all of us to give you pointers and help along the way....

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 06:02 AM

Did you take pictures as you tore it apart? :D

The other thing you could do is run a heater non stop and keep it at least above 60 degrees. 70 would be better. You would probably be looking at running it the whole day before paint and a day or two after paint if you want to paint while it is cold out.

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 06:33 AM

That could never happen,could it ?:D

#13 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 07:44 AM

What is the best way to paint in cold weather? I have no place with heat to paint it? I keep all my can in the house so there at about 70F. The parts though are out in the cold which are about 25-30F I need to paint it but I want to do it right. My parents wont let me paint in the basement because of the fumes coming up through the floor into the living area. Is there anything I can do?

Yous off to a good start nascar. I'm not sure if you have a company like I have in my town called do it yourself auto, but they have all the equipment to do everything from auto repair to body and paint. I plan on using them to do my H14 when I have the time, the the prices are reasonable about $15 Hr they have all the equipment that I don't have from spray booth, sand blasting, all air tools needed to do the job. Can't wait to see the progress on your 1050 good luck.
Scott

#14 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 09:22 PM

I might be able to work out a deal with my grandfather, he works a metal fabricating shop, they have paint booth and should be able to paint it for me. He was able to get a engineer to remake the brackets that go between the deck and lift points for the deck and he got them painted black and they look great...brand new remakes. So Im going to see if i can get them done there....and my grandfather said he would just hang them on the line while there painting other stuff so it would be real cheap. Fingers Crossed. Im either going to the junkyard tomorrow or friday for the clutch/drive system for it so hopefully i can get that too. P.S. I just put the final vid up on youtube for my other 1050's head gasket change with the tra12d so check it out when you get a chance.....Kind of just promoting my vids and channel over there lol Here's the Link!!! YouTube - Nascar3244888's Channel

#15 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 09:34 PM

Just remember to keep us posted on your progress. Looks great so far. Keep the fine work going.