#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:56 PM

MMhhmm...I wasted a lot of time in the past, when all I need to do was fix up the wire where it runs through the slot in the points cover.

:shoot2:..........yep............. :wallbanging:

• hamman said thank you

#17 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 10:06 AM

It is Briggs 19D I'll have to check the wires sometime. I've had it for a while and I can't remember if I replaced the points and condenser already. Hope to get to it this year sometime. I'll probably have to pull the engine. Thanks

• hamman said thank you

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 10:11 AM

Check all the easy thing first, you never know.

• hamman said thank you

#19 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 07:01 PM

I should have asked my brother about this sooner, since he was the one working on it. He said he put on new points and a condenser. He also said that it looks as if the plunger doesn't move very much at all. If a plunger was worn enough might it decide it does not want to move much anymore? Hopefully it is not the lobe that pushes on the end of the plunger. Also, does anyone know if this is the kind of plunger that has to be broken off and the hole tapped for a bolt to remove or if it is the kind that just has a nut screw on to it to pull it out. If the magneto is bad, my brother says we have a spare that is new.

• hamman said thank you

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 07:53 PM

The plunger could just be sticking, to be sure remove the points and put your finger on the plunger and turn over the engine, if sticking felt spray with PB Blaster or the likes until moves freely.

Check to see if the seal is not leaking, fine oil mist on the points will drive you nuts.

I have seen 19D's with both types, usually the threaded kind is used, be careful not to damage the oil seal.

• hamman said thank you

#21 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 09:01 AM

Yeah I checked and the plunger isn't moving. So would a lubricate fix my problem if I spray it in?

• hamman said thank you

#22 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 09:23 AM

Believe it or not that is good new,

Yes, remove the points compleatly and lubricate around the plunger seal with PB Blaster or the likes and let it sit, is the tractor in a warm place ? if not and sitting outside in the cold it will be a little brittle.

After sitting a few hours or so steal your daughter's or wife's hair drier and blow hot air at it and begin cranking over the engine by hand putting pressure on the end of the plunger with your finger until it starts to move, please be careful when doing this as so not to pinch fingers. When the plunger begins to move follow it in and out until it moves smoothly and clean around it with a rag.

If you have help it would be good to have someone on the PTO pulley protruding through the grill turning it.

Take your time, i rushed this once using pliers to pull it back out and broke it.

Edited by trowel, January 10, 2014 - 09:25 AM.

• hamman, boyscout862 and VintageIronCollector have said thanks

#23 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Believe it or not that is good new,

Yes, remove the points compleatly and lubricate around the plunger seal with PB Blaster or the likes and let it sit, is the tractor in a warm place ? if not and sitting outside in the cold it will be a little brittle.

After sitting a few hours or so steal your daughter's or wife's hair drier and blow hot air at it and begin cranking over the engine by hand putting pressure on the end of the plunger with your finger until it starts to move, please be careful when doing this as so not to pinch fingers. When the plunger begins to move follow it in and out until it moves smoothly and clean around it with a rag.

If you have help it would be good to have someone on the PTO pulley protruding through the grill turning it.

Take your time, i rushed this once using pliers to pull it back out and broke it.

Thanks! I'll have to try that.

• hamman and trowel have said thanks