22 replies to this topic

#16 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 09:04 AM

I understand that all too well!! I spent 14 yrs working in a factory. Was a Blue Collar Worker to the core.

Due to a Job displacement(Farm Economy collapse in the 80's), I found myself working in an office. Talk about Culture Shock!!

But after 28 yrs I am pretty well adjusted to a different kind of grind.

Before I was physically tired at the end of the day. Now I am mentally tired at the end of the day.

It takes a complete team to acomplish the daily tasks.

Work is work no matter how you cut it.

I actually believe, and studies might bear me out, that mental strain is worse than physical strain, I don't believe in either, not worth it, it's my life and they want to use it up

• Gtractor and oldedeeres have said thanks

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 09:31 AM

I actually believe, and studies might bear me out, that mental strain is worse than physical strain, I don't believe in either, not worth it, it's my life and they want to use it up

I would agree totally. Especially about the part about it not being worth it. The trick we all have to learn is what is important, and what part we say " The Heck with it. 100 yrs from now no one will care or remember".

• Team_Green, oldedeeres and OkieGt have said thanks

#18 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 09, 2014 - 10:15 AM

"Work is work no matter how you cut it."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Thank You

• oldedeeres said thank you

#19 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 09, 2014 - 10:19 AM

I would agree totally. Especially about the part about it not being worth it. The trick we all have to learn is what is important, and what part we say " The Heck with it. 100 yrs from now no one will care or remember".

Work hard for a company for 30 years, retire and no one will even know your name in 2 - 3 years. 

#20 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 10:31 AM

That is the truth, the sad part is people never want to see the truth, because many of us and me included have been sold a bill of goods about why we are supposed to toil for another, We should toil for our Lord, our families, and ourselves and thats about it, wel and maybe  garden tractors, lol

#21 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 12:15 PM

Today started out interesting.  Eating my lunch now, first time I've actually ate a lunch at lunch time all week! 

5:00AM my phone rings, Go to the shop now.  By the time you get there I will have a list emailed to you of papers that need put together for a staff meeting with the owner.  Dragged myself out of bed, drove 20 minutes to the shop fired up my computer, put together a 50 page report in record time!  Printed 20 copies, laminated, and put into presentation folders.  Had meetings with 5 vendors, then drove an hour to get to another location.  Just arrived!  I have meetings here after I eat about repairs needed to an area of the mine.  They are having mass inspection and tour of the area tomorrow morning and I have to have a report built so people who don't even go underground can know whats wrong with it.

Only another 8 or 9 hours to go before this day is over!

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 09, 2014 - 12:16 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#22 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 01:15 AM

That illustrates perfectly why I am a farmer. Mind you, when I have a similar stress, it usually involves getting shoulder deep inside a cow and trying to rearrange a calf so it can be born. That being said, I love and appreciate the freedom we have to make our choices in life, and to try and deal with them to the best of our abilities. Every now and then we win one, and life is good.
  • shorty, HDWildBill and Team_Green have said thanks

#23 Team_Green ONLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 02:20 AM

I understand that all too well!! I spent 14 yrs working in a factory. Was a Blue Collar Worker to the core.

Due to a Job displacement(Farm Economy collapse in the 80's), I found myself working in an office. Talk about Culture Shock!!

But after 28 yrs I am pretty well adjusted to a different kind of grind.

Before I was physically tired at the end of the day. Now I am mentally tired at the end of the day.

It takes a complete team to acomplish the daily tasks.

Work is work no matter how you cut it.

I would rather work my tail off then have total mental exhaustion at the end of the day. I can soak my body, i can't soak my brain. Don't get me wrong.. I still use my brain for the work i do around the house and in my shop. Just not like i would when i was in school so many years ago..