• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 10:53 AM

I have an old early 80's MTD 18/42 that needs some work. Its not a good mtd farm king or anything like that, but just an old lawn tractor. Its heavy duty with a peerless 2300 transmission and has 5lug 23" tires. It has an 18hp Briggs Opposed Twin that is way over sized for this thing but thats what i need.

I am turning this into a "mudding mower" meaning pulley swaps, atv tires, lights, bumpers, straightpipes, gas pedal and better steering. To me, i see this thing not having any other use other than tooting around and using it as a puller.

The question however is about the engine. I cannot seem to get this thing running good! :wallbanging:

I took the heads off and cleaned the gunk, took the intake manifold off and cleaned it as well as the carb and EVERYTHING on the inside is SPOTLESS :D but it still wont run good. It starts and idles but its rough and gradually idles so low to where it shuts off within 2 minutes. :mad2:  when i throttle up with the gas pedal it spits sputters and occasionally backfires. ive tried to adjust the carb and it seems to help but it still acts up..... :wallbanging: :wallbanging:

I need help. bad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :thumbs:

Thanks!

PS, ill post pictures when i get home. :dancingbanana:

• OkieGt said thank you

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 10:58 AM

check the filter inside the tank, just inside the grommet, if its clogged it will starve for gas, fuel pump on the carb may also need replaced/rebuilt. also consider replacing all fuel lines and filter. The lines could have been damaged by ethanol gas and collapsing or releasing the lining

• CubHorse80 said thank you

#3 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 11:02 AM

I took the carb apart and cleaned it and the pump was fine as well as the bowl and seals. You may be right on the fuel line and filter... i also think there is a lot of water in the gas because it is weak smelling and kinda brownish. I drained it yesterday and havent re filled it with fresh stuff yet. i should be able to this weekend. do these engines run smooth when they are getting fuel correctly?

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 11:17 AM

I took the carb apart and cleaned it and the pump was fine as well as the bowl and seals. You may be right on the fuel line and filter... i also think there is a lot of water in the gas because it is weak smelling and kinda brownish. I drained it yesterday and havent re filled it with fresh stuff yet. i should be able to this weekend. do these engines run smooth when they are getting fuel correctly?

All engines run smooth when getting fuel correctly, but you have two other factors, air and spark. The fuel to air ratio has to be adjusted so as not to run too lean or too rich. I like to dial it all the way down and bring it up to the right fuel air ratio. A new and properly set spark plug is very improtant as well and a properly working coil

#5 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 11:29 AM

All engines run smooth when getting fuel correctly, but you have two other factors, air and spark. The fuel to air ratio has to be adjusted so as not to run too lean or too rich. I like to dial it all the way down and bring it up to the right fuel air ratio. A new and properly set spark plug is very improtant as well and a properly working coil

Gotcha. I will replace the fuel lines and filters and put new gas in. Then i will buy and gap new plugs and check the coil. I need this engine to be able to rev quickly because of the gas pedal.