20 replies to this topic

#1 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 10:35 PM

Has anyone used those dipstick heaters on a small engine? The 318 is mighty grumpy getting woken up with -26 last night.
  • LTD said thank you

#2 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 11:33 PM

I have never used one. Not a bad idea though. My tractor's are stored in an unheated building. Always start hard under 0.

#3 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,745 Thanks
  • 1,396 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 11:34 PM

I have used them in cars in the past and they work

they should work okay in a small motor

by heating the oil it also heats the block up too

if you gt is outside I would put a tarp over your gt

it will help to keep the heat it

there has been several posts in the past about them

some have used heat lamps and magnetic heaters

• Alc said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 05:58 AM

I'd check with the manuafacturer of the heater to see if they are suitable for small engines. I'm thinking there could be an issue with the depth of oil and the volume of oil being much less in a small engine than a car. Also, what would happen if it's too long and interferes with something whenf you started the engine with the heater in there.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,748 Thanks
  • 7,519 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 06:01 AM

The dipstick heater worked for me in a car years ago. For your GT it probably will work too. I have been using a magnetic heater for years because it puts out more heat. To make the heater more effective, I put a big piece of cardboard over the hood and down the sides. I then cover the entire tractor with a clear tarp. If it is in a sunny area, the sun will warm it up during the day. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc said thank you

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:42 AM

Okay, how many of you thought "Why would you want to heat your dip stick?".  Besides me, that is.

#7 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:52 AM

•  Most of the 'Dipstick Heaters' ('required' for diesel engines)I've seen are quite long for cars (24"), but usually the dipstick for our Garden Tractor engines is much shorter, and I don't think the length can be shortened.   With our small engines, the oil is only about 2" deep in the bottom, most of the dipstick heat would be wasted. 

•  Some people are using a 'Pad Heater' that sticks/attached to the lower side of your engine block.

•  I like to use both a 'Trickle Charger' on the battery and a simple small light bulb, 15 watt, next to the block & battery, then cover the entire hood and tractor with layers of blankets and tarp that extend to the floor, inside the barn.  A cold battery is very weak/low, the trickle charger keeps both a full charge and the battery "just a little warmer". Cold oil makes the engine very hard to start, especially when down to 0º and below, even with 5w30 oil;  --  both being warmer makes a big difference, immediately.  Both these electrical items are removed before I drive out of the barn into the snow (I wrap the cord around the steering wheel & seat to remember).

Screenshot2014-01-07at74725PM_zpsbdb8011

Edited by GlenPettit, January 08, 2014 - 03:02 PM.

• Alc, GTTinkerer, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:21 AM

I never have used one and don't think I would. Back in 1968, my Dad's 1956 Caddillac burned to the ground 13 miles inside the East Gate of Yellowstone Park.  We had to buy another Car to get home. A Park Ranger on his day off too us to Casper to look for another car.

Aparently the dipstick heaters were commonly used in that area, because the dipsticks on all but two cars we looked at were very Crusty/Rusty.  Talking to people at the dealerships they attributed it to dipstick heaters. They seem to generate a lot of condensation that runs into your oil.

Of the Two cars that did not have Rusty Dipsticks, Dad bought the 63 Mercury Montery ( He swears to this day it's the best car he ever owned). I kind of lost out since I told him if he bought the 64 Pontiac GTO, I would buy it from him when we got home.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 08, 2014 - 09:24 AM.

• GTTinkerer, Jehtro, LTD and 1 other said thanks

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:50 AM

Guaranteed, I would drive off with the pad or dipstick heater still in place and plugged in. :D

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 11:19 AM

Guaranteed, I would drive off with the pad or dipstick heater still in place and plugged in. :D

Don't feel like the Lone Stranger on that one!! Back in the late 60's and 70's When I would have a Tank Heater or a Small Battery Charger sitting under the hood of my car. More than once I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a 50 ft /dropcord following me down the highway?  Maybe a Guy should not be leaving for work when he is Half Asleep? :wallbanging:

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 08, 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#11 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 09:03 PM

When I was a kid, I used to put a light bulb under the hood of my sled when I wanted to get it going.

Up here you are accustomed to block heaters, interior warmers, pan heaters, circulation heaters, etc.

Driving off with the cord plugged in is generally limited to harried wives.

A trickle charger on the battery, and a magnetic heater or light bulb should work fine. I keep my backyard tractor under cover, and generally only use it on warmer days. Last time out I had to swap out the battery with a warm one.

The blue beast (driveway tractor) is in the garage when I don't use it, so I generally don't worry about anything, except the battery. It has a drain somewhere in the system.

Another thing, a lot of winter equipment up here has winter engines, that are jetted leaner to start and run in extreme cold.

As for rust on the dipstick, we get a lot of that even without dipstick heater. Oil changes in the spring are critical

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 09:40 PM

We had one guy at work that made it 20 miles to work with 50' of orange extension cord dragging behind his car. You'd of thought that someone would have driven over it. When I told the guy about it he got so mad at himself I thought he was going to have a stroke.   :mad2:

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 05:27 PM

I thought I had once. Cleaned off the car, Backed out, went to work. As I'm pulling in, a guy I work with walked up and showed me the end of my chargers power cord. He got a big laugh and when I got home, my cord was plugged in and the end had been thrown off the road.

#14 Jehtro OFFLINE  

Jehtro

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3300
  • 109 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:35 PM

Don't feel like the Lone Stranger on that one!! Back in the late 60's and 70's When I would have a Tank Heater or a Small Battery Charger sitting under the hood of my car. More than once I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a 50 ft /dropcord following me down the highway?  Maybe a Guy should not be leaving for work when he is Half Asleep? :wallbanging:

Saw this and was thinking of my brother in-law the other day. Went to feed the cattle for a buddy who's down south. Went and found the bobcat plugged in, unplugged it, turns out there was yet another cord under the motor hatch that had to be removed. Ended up wrapping the one cord around the fan, the plug end destoryed the rad. Quick way to spend 1000 bucks. Winter huh?
  • Alc, GTTinkerer and Cvans have said thanks

#15 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:58 PM

Quick way to spend 1000 bucks. Winter huh? 

Man that's gotta hurt the wallet.