Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Super 5.6 Locking Differential Problems; Value?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fletch6393 OFFLINE  

fletch6393
  • Member No: 52387
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 02:20 PM

Hello i have a david bradley super 5.6 garden tractor. It has the locking differential but it will not lock. One wheel spins the other dosent move and it goes no where fast. It used to always work and it drove fine but the other day i was using it to plow snow and i left it overnight and the next day it wouldnt lock. It always has been a little loose, one wheel would spin a little then both would engage and it had plenty of traction . I checked the cable and it seems to be fine. The lever on the handle works and when i move it it moves the part on the transaxle but still only one tire moves. Anyone know about this and how to fix it? Also I was wondering how much it is worth? I have the tractor, the seat trailer, the snowplow, the mowing deck, the dirt plow, 3 sets of discs, and some sort of cultivator thing. It runs pretty good. At the moment everything works except the locking diff and the reverse (i need to get a belt for it).

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 02:52 PM

Hello and welcome :wave: Hopefully our DB guru's will be here soon to help you out

#3 fletch6393 OFFLINE  

fletch6393
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 03:17 PM

thanks

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,316 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 03:27 PM

Got $4.75?  http://www.ebay.com/...l-/370712346822  I'd have one if one was in my shed..

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 06:02 PM

I've never worked on the locking differential, but if I had to guess I'd say something got wet & froze.  Try warming it up, maybe?

#6 fletch6393 OFFLINE  

fletch6393
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 06:15 PM

I ran it for a while and eventually the diff, sort of, engaged. It worked for about 20 seconds then stopped then worked again etc. so I made a probably bad decision but considering I was stuck a good 300+ feet from the nearest outlet it seemed fairly intelligent. I sprayed some starting fluid on the transaxle and lit it on fire and that helped a lot. Once it warmed up it worked pretty good considering. It still keeps disengaging but what can I say? Anyone care for some pics?
  • New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Pics, as in, while it was on fire?  H*** yeh!

#8 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 05:05 AM

It's possible that the roll pin that connects the shift fork to the shaft going into the trans-axle could be sheared off. Also, there are two small springs that hold the the shift fork in the locked position. If these are broken it causes it to disengage, especially if the tractor is leaned heavily to right.

• MH81, Alc and trowel have said thanks

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 07:15 AM

We would all like to see some pics.
Picture posting help is here: http://gardentractor...file-uploading/

My first guess was water too, but maybe something froze and while trying to get it to work, a weak spring or pin has given up.

If mine, I would warm it up as much as I could without direct flame and see if it works correctly then. If so, drain oil and maybe even flush with kerosene before refilling. Keep in mind, it will take a long time to get the heat all the way thru. Dad used to keep one of the old tractors limber by covering with an old blanket and putting a 100 watt lightbulb under there... Won't work with the new cfl or led lamps tho :D

• trowel said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:19 AM

Welcome to GT Talk,

Looks like you got some good help here. Best of luck.