• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 11:09 AM

Nice work on those pins! They look very close to the original! I am sure that if somebody had a lath they could probably start mass producing then for people who like that style pin.
  • hamman said thank you

#17 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 07:27 PM

Nice work!!! I like the rounded pins too. Next time I make one I will have to try that.

• hamman said thank you

#18 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • Member No: 51445
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:30 PM

That is some great thinking and skills. Very rewarding job!

• hamman said thank you

#19 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 05:37 AM

Nice work on those.

Keep in mind that the real pins are usually hardened so you'll have to be very careful what you use those for.  I've used bolts in place of pins and had very quick breakage.  I've also had the same happen with the hardware store multi-hole pins.

Not meaning to rain on anyone's parade, just a warning.

I agree a person does need to be carefull using bolts... but for a differant reason...

Actually most small clevis pins are not hardened but they are made from low carbon steel which is less brittle than a grade 3 or 5 bolt, in this case softer is better because they allow some flex before reaching the breaking point, where as a bolt doesnt flex as much and will simply break. For hand making clevis pins for a GT application a grade 3 bolt should be ok but a grade 5 is far too brittle. Larger clevis pins 1" or more are often made from stainless steel.

Anyway back to the OP, Nice job, Ive done it myself many times for pins up to 1/2 inch, any larger tho and its best to buy them;)
  • hamman said thank you

#20 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 08:49 AM

I agree a person does need to be carefull using bolts... but for a differant reason...

Actually most small clevis pins are not hardened but they are made from low carbon steel which is less brittle than a grade 3 or 5 bolt, in this case softer is better because they allow some flex before reaching the breaking point, where as a bolt doesnt flex as much and will simply break. For hand making clevis pins for a GT application a grade 3 bolt should be ok but a grade 5 is far too brittle. Larger clevis pins 1" or more are often made from stainless steel.

Anyway back to the OP, Nice job, Ive done it myself many times for pins up to 1/2 inch, any larger tho and its best to buy them;)

I guess I didn't word my post correctly.  The bolts did ultimately break but the actual failure was due to heavy wear from being too soft.  They actually wore through in less than an hours worth of use.  I had the same thing happen when using the pins with the multiple positioning holes.  I got some "real" pins from a bolt specialty store, where I was told that they are hardened, and those pins are showing no wear several years later.

Edited by Canawler, January 09, 2014 - 08:50 AM.

• hamman and OkieGt have said thanks

#21 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 02:39 PM

Canawler.. depending of course on your particular application and regardless of what the guy behind the counter said I would guess its more likely they sold you stainless pins, mostly because the price of a 'hardened pin' would give most people heart failure. Just for example.. a standard 1/2 pin 3" long might cost $2, a stainless pin maybe $5, and a hardened pin $20.

I just wanted to point out the differance so that people dont go out shopping for hardened pins when they only need standard low carbon or stainless, or if they choose to make them to be sure they dont use grade 5 bolts. "Generally" an application such as lifting a mower deck or rear implement will use low carbon pins but where there is more rotation involved such as a GT FEL might use stainless pins, but a full size FEL would use hardened pins which are also usually a 'machined' fit.
  • hamman said thank you

#22 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 04:48 PM

I need some 1/2" pins to finish the rebuilding of the 48M mowerdeck and I will be going tomorrow to get some !/2" bolts to make thm out of. I have to finish repainting a few things on the deck and arm and then I will put it back together with all new bolts.    Thanks. Roger.