Another update. Ordered some new parts that should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I'm going to replace both flexible drive shaft couplers and I decided to get the OEM Cub engine isomounts after seeing how bad the old ones were. No parts of the old isomounts could be salvaged and re-used. I checked the PTO
clutch and it seems to be working fine. The PTO
switch however, was not working. The PO bypassed all of the safety switches on the tractor so I need to spend some time studying the wiring schematic to see if there are any potential wiring problem areas.
Since the PTO
switch wasn't working, I decided to take it apart and see if I could come up with a temporary fix. I figured nothing to lose. I put a couple of new springs in it from my scrap spring box and cleaned the corrosion off all the contact surfaces. For the time being the switch seems to be working fine. I made a muffler crutch to help support the other end of the muffler when the engine is re-installed.
The hydrostatic pump release lever had rusted so bad that it broke. I had to remove the inspection cover and manually push the release valves with my finger to move the tractor. Using the old release lever as a guide, I bent a piece of sheet metal as close to the original as I could get to replace it and my fabrication also seems to be working fine.
Some of these fixes may only be temporary but who knows, time will tell. Maybe they'll last long enough that I can save up enough to buy more parts.
Edited by dthomp17, January 16, 2014 - 11:08 PM.