10 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:24 PM

I know wrong time of year to be looking for something like this
I have a buddy with a snow blower that he has a hard time pulling the rope on (he has a back/shoulder issue)
can be new or good/used  the kind that you plug an extension cord into (regular 110V) 

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Do you have the engine model and type available?  Can't do much without that.

Ben W.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:22 PM

I have an eight horse Tecumseh engine sitting on the bench in the garage that has the electric start on it  (110 volt) and it even runs. you come down and get it when you can. You can have the whole  engine for $45.00 .

• Lmiller3358, superaben and dodge trucker have said thanks

#4 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 07:56 AM

I know wrong time of year to be looking for something like this
I have a buddy with a snow blower that he has a hard time pulling the rope on (he has a back/shoulder issue)
can be new or good/used  the kind that you plug an extension cord into (regular 110V) 

Before you go too far, check that the engine is equipped with a ring gear on the flywheel, and that the side of the crankcase is tapped for 4 starter mounting bolts.  .....The engine shroud normally had a bulge, or removable cover, to accomodate the starter drive.

Many of the Tecumseh Sno-King engines had these features, but not all of the Tecumseh engines had them.

• IamSherwood and dodge trucker have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 07:12 PM

Do you have the engine model and type available?  Can't do much without that.

Ben W.

Every HS 40/Hs50 H35 series engine I have ever seen takes the same electric starter... there have been a few supersedences over the years but they interchange with each other

This is L head NOT the newer OHV style engines.

Got a part number   33290    there may be a suffix letter after that on "your" version,  or not.

Edited by dodge trucker, January 07, 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Before you go too far, check that the engine is equipped with a ring gear on the flywheel, and that the side of the crankcase is tapped for 4 starter mounting bolts.  .....The engine shroud normally had a bulge, or removable cover, to accomodate the starter drive.

Many of the Tecumseh Sno-King engines had these features, but not all of the Tecumseh engines had them.

this one is, has a sticker that says so,  and these engines had 3 mount bolts/ the larger engines had 4

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 07:20 PM

I have an eight horse Tecumseh engine sitting on the bench in the garage that has the electric start on it  (110 volt) and it even runs. you come down and get it when you can. You can have the whole  engine for $45.00 .

that's awful tempting, though that engine is too big for my buddy's snow blower, it would be a good spare motor for mine.

Rossville, huh? ... I get down to milford once in a while  I know youre not much farther.... Watseka ("Big-R") is more common for me though....
I live a lil west of Kankakee... that Big-R is about 40 miles, I was just there last weekend

I'd take that if you still have it my next run down that way (I don't know when though)   but still need a starter for my buddys blower

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 09:06 PM

$185 new aftermarket, 9 tooth.

OEM Tecumseh $163.81.

Neither is in stock at my shop, but I can order either one.

Ben W.

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:11 PM

I was hoping to find a good/used one as that's more than he paid for the whole snow blower... thanks for posting though

• superaben said thank you

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:29 PM

I was hoping to find a good/used one as that's more than he paid for the whole snow blower... thanks for posting though

I know, and I don't blame you.  There will be a used one running around somewhere.

Ben W.

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 05:46 PM

still wanted, I see 2 on CL but are a bit far away to run by and pick up... good used $35  and new in box OEM/NOS Tecumseh $65.... the guy with the new one (about 125 miles away/way up in Kenosha)  said hed get back to me with a shipping quote a week ago... still waiting.

So in the meantime if anyone here has a good used one collecting dust.>.I'm listening 

I remember these being $79 brand new and Dad complainining that "that" was still too much to spend... I was so PO'd that when he bought his 4/20 2 stage blower new, back in 1979, that he didnt get one with his... We found one on the "clearance" table at Sears about '84-85ish for $39, new in the box.... so I got one for Dad's back then, better late than never.... it's crazy what people want for them now a days

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted