24 replies to this topic

#16 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,740 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:34 PM

I'm near Jack too, where are you shopping?
Sorry you missed it.
By the way, SS14 was only one year in '71. The 15 was only made in '72. The only 2 yrs from '66 to '78 Sears used Briggs in the suburbans.
  • IamSherwood, trowel, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#17 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,121 Thanks
  • 5,574 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:36 PM

That would work in Canada, but it might be a tad to much for the US market, for 100 bucks US, scrappers may think they are, well being asked for something "unusual", something you have to pay extra for, know what I mean. lol. I think 20-40 would arouse less suspicion, less he gets the idea that these tractors are worth THOUSANDS.

Haha here is a 100 dollars to hold any "garden tractors"

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 06, 2014 - 09:36 PM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#18 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,363 Thanks
  • 3,261 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:50 PM

Guys I appreciate you feeling my pain I knew everyone would. :D  I always feel things happen for a reason. Like mentioned I'm glad someone got it. 

A lot of good advice & concern

Jack this was in Cleve's Ohio on River Rd.. Where is the one near you? Have you been in Fairfield long enough to remember Skinner's Dump. Frightful place to go to...never go alone. :(  We lived in Fairfield for about 12 years then moved to West Chester for 13 years...both areas out grew us had to leave. 

Ben W I have bought a few things from them but mostly use their dump area for my construction debris several times a year. I do need some angle iron I may just go back out there in a week or so & take another look. 

Will $50. might work but I'm afraid the guy might relocate before I ever see him again. Years ago I use to take care of my building materials sales people but seems like no one stays on the job long enough to build a relationship with.

OkieGt thanks for all the links. I have seen everyone of those. I know a little about the old Sears. For some reason the ST's & the mustard color ones don't appeal to me like the SS14 did I guess I like the blue & the grille design. I check Tempster every morning for a 200 mile radius for just three tractors. I'm not in a hurry just waiting for that special find.

Edited by Sawdust, January 06, 2014 - 10:01 PM.

• IamSherwood and Jack have said thanks

#19 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,428 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:57 PM

Haha here is a 100 dollars to hold any "garden tractors"

Next thing you know the guys got an 8 ball of meth and is taking a road trip with the bosses truck

• Sawdust said thank you

#20 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,121 Thanks
  • 5,574 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 10:00 PM

Next thing you know the guys got an 8 ball of meth and is taking a road trip with the bosses truck

A friend of mine took his kid to a carnival. He sees a carnie and asked him where to you buy tickets for the ride. And the guy winks at him and is like how many rides you wanna take?

He is like I dunno 20? The guy says. Oh you really want tickets. The booth is over there. My friend has to ask questions and the carnie told him it's a code word for drugs. 1 ticket is a dime bag. 2 tickets is coke. 3 is meth.

We were cracking up

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 06, 2014 - 10:01 PM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#21 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,428 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 10:11 PM

A friend of mine took his kid to a carnival. He sees a carnie and asked him where to you buy tickets for the ride. And the guy winks at him and is like how many rides you wanna take?

He is like I dunno 20? The guy says. Oh you really want tickets. The booth is over there. My friend has to ask questions and the carnie told him it's a code word for drugs. 1 ticket is a dime bag. 2 tickets is coke. 3 is meth.

We were cracking up

around here dominos delivers meth, but its not thirty minutes or its free

#22 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,390 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 02:54 AM

That would work in Canada, but it might be a tad to much for the US market, for 100 bucks US, scrappers may think they are, well being asked for something "unusual", something you have to pay extra for, know what I mean. lol. I think 20-40 would arouse less suspicion, less he gets the idea that these tractors are worth THOUSANDS.

Will $50. might work but I'm afraid the guy might relocate before I ever see him again. Years ago I use to take care of my building materials sales people but seems like no one stays on the job long enough to build a relationship with.

Yeah, on second thought, 100 might be high at a scrap yard. After all, it is a scrap yard. I've

never actually done any dealings in one. Anyways, you know what I mean. Take him a coffee

every time you go.

• Sawdust and OkieGt have said thanks

#23 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,390 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 02:58 AM

We were cracking up

around here dominos delivers meth, but its not thirty minutes or its free

:( Now, that is a sad story. :(

• KennyP, Sawdust and OkieGt have said thanks

#24 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,740 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 08:15 AM

Guys I appreciate you feeling my pain I knew everyone would. :D  I always feel things happen for a reason. Like mentioned I'm glad someone got it. 

A lot of good advice & concern

Jack this was in Cleve's Ohio on River Rd.. Where is the one near you? Have you been in Fairfield long enough to remember Skinner's Dump. Frightful place to go to...never go alone. :(  We lived in Fairfield for about 12 years then moved to West Chester for 13 years...both areas out grew us had to leave. 

Cohen owns about all the scrap yards up this way now.

Skinner's dump? Was that out on 128 across from gravel plants?

Wished I would've known, I sold a ' 72 Suburban 15 last summer for cheap.

Thankfully it went to a good home, is running and will get a restore.

I know it will depend on condition, but what is your price range? I can keep my eye out up this way.

#25 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,363 Thanks
  • 3,261 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Cohen owns about all the scrap yards up this way now.

Skinner's dump? Was that out on 128 across from gravel plants?

Wished I would've known, I sold a ' 72 Suburban 15 last summer for cheap.

Thankfully it went to a good home, is running and will get a restore.

I know it will depend on condition, but what is your price range? I can keep my eye out up this way.

I know a little about the Cohen family when they had the big spread downtown. I heard they had some EPA violations & opted out by donating the property to the city. I know they sure left in a hurry & everything was cleaned up. Skinner's Landfill is off the Cin,Dayton Rd. exit in West Chester. I went there one time back in the early 70's & never went back.  :biting_nails: The short time I was there it was fascinating seeing the place. It was like I went back in time about 30 years...you name it, it was there. They have an interesting history, it's worth it to Google Skinner's Landfill. They worked under the radar for many years until new construction started popping up all around them. The EPA came in to lower the boom only to find out their largest clients were the Military, Govt, & many very wealthy Corporations....BIG mess. Thanks for the offer but I'm not really looking that hard for a GT right now, I just came across the SS14 by chance. I have my MF12 H sand blasted & primed waiting for the finish coats. I also have the Cub 1250 waiting for a governor rod replaced. I'm learning a lot right now about what's out there mainly with the help on here. I do like the old Sears, MTD 990, & Bolens 1250 & MF12 G. My problem is I just like old stuff especially if it needs help. Thanks again.