• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 05:05 PM

Well you folks have probably experienced this before but since I'm new to the hobby it was my first. I was at my local scrap/dump yard the other day. They usually have 6-8 GT's sitting around so I check every few weeks. There was nothing I liked because most are usually the newer models. I was looking around & there she sit sitting higher & more proud than any other GT there. It was a Sears SS14, even though with no hood her grille was in tact with no damage, engine turned over by hand with compression, tires in good shape, & all looked complete. I circled her several times to make sure. I felt like a kid looking at his first Red Ryder BB Gun. After a few minutes of foaming at the mouth I looked up & here comes the yard guy & without even asking he said I think it's sold. The guy is suppose to pick it up Saturday but left no deposit. My heart sank but appreciated his honesty by letting the other guy have first choice. Saturday finally arrives & I'm sure this guy didn't show up because we had snow & cold weather moved in the last few days. It was too bad out to pick it up so I went out in the wife's Jeep with her along with the cash money at hand to pay & pick up later. I put a broom in the back to brush her off along with a tarp I also brought to protect her from the freezing rain that was coming. Just as I pulled up I saw an empty spot where she was sitting a few days before. My first thought maybe they moved it but no the SS14 was nowhere around just an empty spot where she was sitting. I only have a fw GT's on my wish list & this was one of them. I understand they only made these for two years so this is the first I have seen....so maybe next time.  :D

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 05:10 PM

Didn't somebody just post about an SS14 they just picked up from a scrapyard? Lol! Sorry that you missed it, just be happy that somebody bought it, and it didn't go into the crusher... It was close to it.
  • hamman, farmer john and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 05:12 PM

There are only two places in GT collecting. First or Last, no Second place. Some of the GT's I've bought weren't on Craigslist for a day, some less than  an hour, one for less than 5 minutes, over half of them people called to tell me about and they were already in my garage/shop. You cant have to ask permission to buy, (don't know why I have to say that), but you better be right in what you buy.

• farmer john and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:14 PM

Those SS14s are good old GTs underrated in my opinion, if I see one around you I'll let you know, believe it or not you may find a nicer one soon.

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:19 PM

A lot of stuff I looking for on craigslist if it is reasonably priced they are gone in an hour or 2. I have craigslist alerts on my phone it alerts me if someone posted an ad with certain key words in it.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#6 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:22 PM

Sorry about the one that got away.  What scrap yard are you going to?     The one near me won't sell anything.  :ah_shoot:

• superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:04 PM

Sorry about the one that got away.  What scrap yard are you going to?     The one near me won't sell anything.  :ah_shoot:

The trick to getting a scrapper to work with you is to buy something for a much higher amount than scrap once or twice.  After that, he'll know you are serious.  Unless he is a total scrapper, worst of the low life.  :D

Ben W.

• Sawdust and OkieGt have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Hope you find a barn fresh, running 14. I've been on the loss column more than I ever want to think about. Can't beat yourself up, at least it went to a home, not a crusher.

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:10 PM

I feel the loss, it happens, sometimes these things happen for reasons unknown.

A good example is some of the things i forced to happen turned into very expensive mistakes, with a ''nothing will get in my way'' additude, bring it home and the next day it hits you, it looked better yesterday, especially when you are buying to turn a profit.

A hobby or just because you like it should just happen, if the money is there and everything falls into place, you will enjoy it for a very long time.

Those kinds of things can become family heirlooms.

#10 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:22 PM

I feel the loss, it happens, sometimes these things happen for reasons unknown.

A good example is some of the things i forced to happen turned into very expensive mistakes, with a ''nothing will get in my way'' additude, bring it home and the next day it hits you, it looked better yesterday, especially when you are buying to turn a profit.

A hobby or just because you like it should just happen, if the money is there and everything falls into place, you will enjoy it for a very long time.

Those kinds of things can become family heirlooms.

You have to be good at seeing what is in front of you through prescription eyewear, not love goggles.

Edited by OkieGt, January 06, 2014 - 07:22 PM.

• trowel and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:33 PM

http://cincinnati.cr...4264790708.html

Nice ST16

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:36 PM

You have to be good at seeing what is in front of you through prescription eyewear, not love goggles.

Much better and simpler, Thanks.

• Sawdust said thank you

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:36 PM

another one

http://cincinnati.cr...4224417206.html

• Sawdust said thank you

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:04 PM

Sad story. Sorry to hear about  your lose.

If you feel comfortable with the scrap yard guy, maybe

you might want to leave him a 100.00 deposit, for future considerations.

#15 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Sad story. Sorry to hear about  your lose.

If you feel comfortable with the scrap yard guy, maybe

you might want to leave him a 100.00 deposit, for future considerations.

That would work in Canada, but it might be a tad to much for the US market, for 100 bucks US, scrappers may think they are, well being asked for something "unusual", something you have to pay extra for, know what I mean. lol. I think 20-40 would arouse less suspicion, less he gets the idea that these tractors are worth THOUSANDS.

• trowel and Sawdust have said thanks