• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 OkieGt OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 09:34 AM

Mike, those connections should never fall apart. I know exactly what you mean though. The average combination/crimper tool can't generate enough force to properly crimp. Getting better terminals won't help unless you also have a good quality tool. If you invest in a good quality tool it will reduce the time needed to do electrical work considerably and you'll have confidence in those connections. They aren't cheap and I've had mine for a long time but I'm guessing 30$ would be ballpark.

I found some like the panduit pliers shown in the this thread, big difference in what I've been using, I knew ther had to be an answer to this, thanks Brian and everyone for the help.

#17 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,622 Thanks
  • 38,996 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 09:35 AM

The key to getting good crimps is to use a good quality crimping tool. The general purpose ones you get at most hardware stores aren't up to the job IME.  I've seen properly crimped connections last for 30yrs in lab equipment that is exposed to corrosive fumes and there were no issues. Get a quality crimping tool and use good quality, proper sized terminals and you won't have any issues. Using terminals that are too large for the wire size is another typical problem area that I've seen. 

Soldering to a terminal and heat shrinking certainly does a good job but is not easy and certainly not quick. To make it easier I would suggest crimping the connection first and then filling the end of the terminal with solder. It should pull into the joint when it's hot enough. 

Heres one of the ones I use. This one is made by Panduit who also made very good terminals. It does 22-10 gauge crimps on insulated and uninsulated terminals. 

That's very similar to the one I use, Brian.

#18 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 09:48 AM

I've seen thousands of those terminals used in lab equipment over the last 30 years and when done properly they are as good as a soldered joint IMO. They have a lot of advantages as well. You need to make sure that the connector you are using is matched to the wire size. Insulated ones are usually colour coded with Blue and Yellow ones covering most gauge wire used in GT's.