17 replies to this topic

#1 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 03:27 PM

I really think I have crimped (or tried to crimp) my last connection. What kind of connectors, and what do you guys think are best way to make a quality connection, solder, heat shrink, etc. ? Thanks

• hamman said thank you

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 03:34 PM

Personally, I prefer to solder and heat shrink connections except where I specifically need a way to disconnect.

Basically I use spade connectors or rings where applicable ( ignition, switches, etc) and where I need a disconnect for parts removal.

When I do use a crimp on connector, I prefer to solder in in place and heatshrink over the solder.

If I really have to crimp a connection, i inherited a pair of Controlled cycle crimp tools a few years back. They make for a perfect controlled crimp every time..

Splices and taps are soldered and heat shrunk for everything else

Then I usually protect wiring with some split loom.

• hamman and OkieGt have said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 03:34 PM

My preferred method is solder and heat shrink.  There are butt connectors called posi-lock(?) that have a piece of metal in the center and screw on ends from each side. You bare the end of the wire and stick it through the cap and the cap sandwiches it against the metal. I then seal the caps with silicone to seal the connection. They work good for wires that just won't take solder. I tell the guys here that fixing things with butt connectors can make a real a$$ out of them when it fails.

• hamman, superaben and OkieGt have said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 03:39 PM

I agree ! Soldering and heat shrinking ! If I have to use butt connectors or spade connectors I use dialectric grease on them and then tape them tightly. Sometimes we need to be able to ocassionaly disconnect a wire. Doing it this way will let us. The dialectric grease inhibits corrosion. JM2CW. Thanks. Roger.

• OkieGt said thank you

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for the great suggestions, now (hope I don't start anything) what's a good soldering gun, I was going to buy an old Craftsman gun, I like them

Edited by OkieGt, January 06, 2014 - 04:01 PM.

• hamman said thank you

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 04:02 PM

I'm thinking this would solder and shrink

http://www.ebay.com/...=item460cb69cfd

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 05:16 PM

Nice outfit. When you get done with it ship it up here and I'll send it back when I'm done....................................     Roger.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 05:19 PM

The key to getting good crimps is to use a good quality crimping tool. The general purpose ones you get at most hardware stores aren't up to the job IME.  I've seen properly crimped connections last for 30yrs in lab equipment that is exposed to corrosive fumes and there were no issues. Get a quality crimping tool and use good quality, proper sized terminals and you won't have any issues. Using terminals that are too large for the wire size is another typical problem area that I've seen. 

Soldering to a terminal and heat shrinking certainly does a good job but is not easy and certainly not quick. To make it easier I would suggest crimping the connection first and then filling the end of the terminal with solder. It should pull into the joint when it's hot enough. 

Heres one of the ones I use. This one is made by Panduit who also made very good terminals. It does 22-10 gauge crimps on insulated and uninsulated terminals. 

DSCF9542.jpg

• DH1, Canawler, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#9 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 05:53 PM

There is nothing wrong with connectors. They won't fail if over heated like soldered joints. Good connectors and a good crimping tool is key. I've used thousands and thousands of those crimp connectors and never had one fail. The ones I use come from wurth and have the heat shrink on them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

• OkieGt said thank you

#10 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:05 PM

The key to getting good crimps is to use a good quality crimping tool. The general purpose ones you get at most hardware stores aren't up to the job IME.  I've seen properly crimped connections last for 30yrs in lab equipment that is exposed to corrosive fumes and there were no issues. Get a quality crimping tool and use good quality, proper sized terminals and you won't have any issues. Using terminals that are too large for the wire size is another typical problem area that I've seen. 

Soldering to a terminal and heat shrinking certainly does a good job but is not easy and certainly not quick. To make it easier I would suggest crimping the connection first and then filling the end of the terminal with solder. It should pull into the joint when it's hot enough. 

Heres one of the ones I use. This one is made by Panduit who also made very good terminals. It does 22-10 gauge crimps on insulated and uninsulated terminals. 

attachicon.gifDSCF9542.jpg

Couldn't agree more on having a good quality Crimping tool, without it your asking for problems.

• OkieGt said thank you

#11 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:18 PM

I was wondering whether it was my crimper and/or my connections, you guys answered that for me, THANKS A BUNCH!!!!, It is so frustrating seeing connections come apart

#12 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:57 PM

I have a couple of those crimp tools as well, both made by Panduit, Both brand new and over 40 years old.

The tools I normally use for crimps is these. I have 2

http://store.crimpto...ition-used.html

• OkieGt said thank you

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Ditto to this.

If you don't know what you're doing with a soldering iron, you're just as likely to have a bad solder joint as you are to have a bad crimp connection.....

• Chopperhed and OkieGt have said thanks

#14 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:46 PM

JDBrian is the man.  I'm with him 100%, even the best skilled man can't make it without the tools for the job.

Pass that on to your wife, and I'll duck low below the shooting range.

Ben W.

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 09:31 AM

I was wondering whether it was my crimper and/or my connections, you guys answered that for me, THANKS A BUNCH!!!!, It is so frustrating seeing connections come apart

Mike, those connections should never fall apart. I know exactly what you mean though. The average combination/crimper tool can't generate enough force to properly crimp. Getting better terminals won't help unless you also have a good quality tool. If you invest in a good quality tool it will reduce the time needed to do electrical work considerably and you'll have confidence in those connections. They aren't cheap and I've had mine for a long time but I'm guessing 30$ would be ballpark.

• OkieGt said thank you