• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aron.wyowind OFFLINE  

aron.wyowind
  • Member No: 52119
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 10:57 AM

I have a Wisconsin S12D3 motor with a mated gear drive (electric start, running), this was off of a porta patcher asphalt burner.  Is this model the same as the S12D Wisconsin?  I am wondering if this would be compatible with the older lawn tractors equiped with the S12D and who knows what the '3' stands for in the model number?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20131223_131152.jpg
  • 20131223_131200.jpg
  • 20131223_131225.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 13,918 Thanks
  • 17,710 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 11:09 AM

Welcome to GTT :wave:

The main block looks to be an S12D. I have seen a few other Wisconsin's with additional numbers added to them like yours but not sure why they are there. I'm beginning to wonder if the number indicates the engine was for special applications with specialty parts added to them at the factory for a specific machine.

• trowel said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,092 Thanks
  • 8,266 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 12:21 PM

Welcome to GTT. It probably is the same as a 1250 Bolens but it is very cool just the way it is. Good Luck, Rick

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,821 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 03:10 PM

Generally any numbers or letters after the standard bloke model is for special applications, the 3 more then likely is for the machine it cam off of, my S12D manual does not show any with the number 3.

My S12D below :

Attached Thumbnails

• linsay.jpg
  • Linsayo.jpg

#5 aron.wyowind OFFLINE  

aron.wyowind
  • Member No: 52119
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 02:06 PM

I apreciate all the input and answers guys!  I am going to try and sell this Wisconsin S12D 3 motor, if it does fit the Bolens or if someone has a need for this application, what do you think I should ask for it?  I pulled the head off, cleaned and resealed everything, rebuilt the carburetor, fixed the non-spark issue (this motor ran another igniter spark plug for the porta patcher burner so i isolated that circuit) and just gave it some TLC, fresh oil in motor and drive, great compression, electric push button starter.  Any help passing the word and advising how much its worth or what a reasonable price is would be much apreciated.

#6 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,759 Thanks
  • 2,384 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 01:44 PM

I can't say for certain because I do not know, but I think the #3 suffix may be because the engine is equipped with a ring gear on the flywheel, and an attached gear-drive starter.  ....It may also be equipped with a non-standard crankshaft to mate up with the gear reuction.

The S12D's on the Bolens used a belt-driven starter/generator, and I don't think the flywheel had a ring gears.

Perhaps someone with more info/knowledge will respond.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 37,708 Thanks
  • 30,338 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 05:10 PM

Could the 3 denote 3 to 1 reduction?  I know Briggs uses numbers after the normal engine number, for an example, I have a Briggs model 14 with 6 to 1 gear reduction & it's full model number is 14R6, the "R6" stands for reduction 6(to 1)

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,821 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 05:20 PM

I can't say for certain because I do not know, but I think the #3 suffix may be because the engine is equipped with a ring gear on the flywheel, and an attached gear-drive starter.  ....It may also be equipped with a non-standard crankshaft to mate up with the gear reuction.

The S12D's on the Bolens used a belt-driven starter/generator, and I don't think the flywheel had a ring gears.

Perhaps someone with more info/knowledge will respond.

Mines does not have the no 3 and it is standard from the factory with the ring gear and flywheel starter.

The parts one i have is also a S12D and has a Delco Remy starter generator.

Daniel, i think you may have hit the nail on the head, 3-1 reduction, some engines have R in the model no for reduction, it does not show in my manual but the manual does not show all the variations for that model.

Edited by trowel, January 08, 2014 - 05:22 PM.