Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Need ideas for a rear tube frame wieght box build!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Enginerd OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 11:50 AM

Put antifreeze in them too maybe just an idea. We also had water in them rear tires in 460 IH farmall and i dont see any problems with them.

I had CaCl that was installed in the tires of my 800 at the dealer (back in 1963). Over the course of 40 years, the rims disintegrated from the inside out. As a result, I'm a bit leery of filling tires with anything.

The weights are made out of 5-sections of 2x3 steel tube that are filled with lead.

How does one go about filling a steel tube with lead? I have a weight box that I'd like to fill with something heavier than concrete. These would be perfect, but I'm not sure where to get lead, and how to get it hot enough to pour in the mold.

#17 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 84
  • 706 Thanks
  • 576 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 12:46 PM

lead is a good thing to use for wieght. We made lead blocks for our race car all the time. When i worked at a car dealer we had buckets of old wheel wieghts. Take the old wheel wieghts and buy a cheap pan. Put wheel wieghts into the pan and heat the lead til they melt. Then remove the steel wieght clips from the liquid, and you just pour it into the square tubing. So stop to a local tire shop or dealer and see if they will give you a bucket of old wheel wieghts! I thought about adding wieght that way but I just dont have the time, or a garage to work in to do it.
  • Reverend Blair said thank you

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted December 30, 2010 - 01:30 AM

Lead is easy to work, has a low melting point. BE VERY Carefull of the fumes!! You most likely won't find anyone giving away old wheel weights any more, I know this from a fellow reloader that also casts his own bullets, but just check the going rate per pound for scrap lead and hit the tire shops up ready to make an offer...