Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need ideas for a rear tube frame wieght box build!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 07:40 AM

Has anyone built a wieght box for the rear of there tube frame? If so do you have the dimensions, wieght, etc., etc. Also some pics would help! I have a few ideas but I just would like to see a known good setup before I start building. I made up a bracket last year but the steel was weak, and I used my workout wieghts. Well my wieghts are starting to rust so I dont want to use them again and ruin them. Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the help!!!

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:04 AM

Maybe this will give you some ideas. In the diagram you can see the mounting points.

loader on 900.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• ballost box dia.jpg

• mjodrey and MH81 have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:06 AM

What do you need the extra weight for?

#4 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:13 AM

I need the wieght for snowblowing. The tractor is ok without it but the tires do spin at times. I had the same issue last year and made up a temporary wieght bracket. I know theres better ways to add wieght but Im strapped for cash right now. I have alot of steel so I figured I'd make a wieght box. Has anyone one tried to make a wieght for the belly of the tractor? like where the deck would mount? Some wieght in the middle of the tractor might help me steer better with the blower down.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:21 AM

I need the wieght for snowblowing. The tractor is ok without it but the tires do spin at times. I had the same issue last year and made up a temporary wieght bracket. I know theres better ways to add wieght but Im strapped for cash right now. I have alot of steel so I figured I'd make a wieght box. Has anyone one tried to make a wieght for the belly of the tractor? like where the deck would mount? Some wieght in the middle of the tractor might help me steer better with the blower down.

Shouldn't be too hard, but watch how far down it hangs. Easy enough to get hung up in the snow without stuff hanging down. :D

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 09:02 AM

You could always go the windshield washer fluid route on the rear tires. A 23x8.50x12 rear tire should hold 6 gallons easy enough and that would add about 40 pounds per tire. I have caught the windshield washer fluid on sale for .99 a gallon.

#7 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 09:16 AM

Has anyone one tried to make a weight for the belly of the tractor?

I put an underbelly weight system on a tractor that I built.

The weights are made out of 5-sections of 2x3 steel tube that are filled with lead.
This adds 280 pounds to the tractor.

Posted Image

I made up an angle iron frame to hold them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This frame is fastened under the rear axle.

Posted Image

The weights are slid in from the back.

Posted Image

There is a steel plate that bolts on the back for the 3-point hitch and that keeps the weights in place.

Posted Image
  • caseguy and Reverend Blair have said thanks

#8 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 09:40 AM

Thats kinda what im thinking of doing. I got 4" angle iron for tracks, I wanna attach them to the underside of the tractor by where the deck would mount. Then slide in 1/2" steel plates for wieght. I currently have 4- 1/8" plates. There 16"x16" and wieght 35lbs. If I use @ 6 to 8 pieces of 1/2" plate, plus the wieght of the bracket should bring me up to @ 100lbs. Last year I had @ 75lbs of dumbell wieghts strapped to the back. It worked good, but steering was poor. So Im hopefully mounting the wieght in the middle will help front and rear traction issues.

#9 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 10:43 AM

I'd fill the tires too. I'm a big believer in filling tires and adding wheel weights, since it keeps the weight on the ground without weighing down the axle. Didn't somebody on here adapt some barbell weights to be wheel weights?

That's a nice weight system, JDCrawler. It's neat, out of the way, and easily adjustable if you need some weight but don't want all of it.

#10 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 04:48 PM

I think your best and easiest option would be to fill the tires with windshield fluid.

#11 Rednecklawnmower OFFLINE  

Rednecklawnmower

• Member No: 1747
  • 1 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 11:51 PM

il put them tire chains on my 1050 and then my fat ass will keep it in traction lol

#12 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 05:52 AM

il put them tire chains on my 1050 and then my fat ass will keep it in traction lol

lol

#13 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 07:27 AM

ok, so I did some measuring last night and the belly wieght system would be nice but its gonna be alot of work. I have a fully packed garage, no heat, and Im strapped for time soooooo im gonna haft to stick to a rear wieght box or filling tires. Someone mentioned washer fluid? I dont have tire tubes, and just sandblasted and repainted my rear wheels. Will the washer fluid rust my wheels out? Also whats the fastest way to fill them? How much would I need, with 25x10x12 tires? How much wieght will this add?

Edited by fonz3482, December 29, 2010 - 07:36 AM.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 08:11 AM

Answers in order:
Rust? No, it'll be fine, never heard of this being a problem.
Fastest? Lay them on their side, Break down one side & start pouring
Weight? Mike mentioned above that your size tire otta hold about 40# each

Hope that's enough, good luck

#15 Rednecklawnmower OFFLINE  

Rednecklawnmower

• Member No: 1747
  • 1 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted December 29, 2010 - 09:55 AM

ok, so I did some measuring last night and the belly wieght system would be nice but its gonna be alot of work. I have a fully packed garage, no heat, and Im strapped for time soooooo im gonna haft to stick to a rear wieght box or filling tires. Someone mentioned washer fluid? I dont have tire tubes, and just sandblasted and repainted my rear wheels. Will the washer fluid rust my wheels out? Also whats the fastest way to fill them? How much would I need, with 25x10x12 tires? How much wieght will this add?

Put antifreeze in them too maybe just an idea. We also had water in them rear tires in 460 IH farmall and i dont see any problems with them.