• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Robert199115 OFFLINE  

Robert199115
  • Member No: 52305
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Hi Every One I Have A First Year 1946 Model # 917.5751 Series 133. From My Research It Is Pry The 33 Tractor Made In 1946. The Motor Is Model # 500.306126 Serial # 503626. Almost 90% Original I Believe And I Almost Got It To Run. I Am Wondering If There Is Any Value To This Machine. Thank You

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Everything has value.  Some  people are just unable to see it.  A DB walk behind has value to a person who needs that type of tool, or wants a lawn art piece, or yearns for his past.  The price, not the value, is set by a willing buyer and a willing seller.  It's value is set by what it can do.  Your's doesn't run and you don't mention any attachments.  

If you are asking is it worth more as the 33rd one off the line in a model year, you have to decide if you are looking for the collector who has #32 &/or #34 AND cares about the number.  Most buyers are looking for a DB, not a specific DB.

That said, people do buy them all the time.  That's because they exist, not because it is #33

#3 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 08:58 PM

Well its good you found a DB from the early days. David Bradley's were built in batches, which were identified by the series number. They start at 100 and run up into the 300's each yr. No one knows how many tractors are any given batch. Pulling the flywheel off the engine, will reveal a small circle with a 2 digit number, that would be the yr of the engine. Providing its the original engine to the tractor, that would tell you the rough date of the tractor. Engines sometimes sat on the shelf until someone randomly grabbed them, so you find tractors in the series with a newer or older one mounted to them. None of the tractors left the factory with an engine mounted, they were shipped out of the factory on a wooden pallet called a bundle, then put together at the Sears store or shipped right to the new owner. Once in a while we used to find a tractor with a tiller engine, as assembled by the Sears store by mistake.

• trowel said thank you

#4 Lauber1 ONLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Robert, I completely missed the fact that you were new..............welcome to the group.

#5 Robert199115 OFFLINE  

Robert199115
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies. This tractor does have a plow blade attachment with it. I think I will pull the flywheel and see if that tells me anything about the year of the motor at least. I just wasn't too sure if there were collectors that wanted a first year model if it is in fact one. If its not a collectable item I might put another newer motor on it and use it around the house being as this motor is over sixty years old.  

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 07:01 AM

:welcome: to GTTalk. Sounds as if you have an interesting piece there.
As for value, I would continue to try to get it running. The unit would be more valuable with the original engine than with a newer one. If you get it running well and want to save the engine for the future, then put another engine one there and use the machine. I'm no walk behind guru, but many times the value of a unit is mainly held in one piece. In this case a running, original engine would be one of the more Collectable components.

I would never advise separating them, but I wanted you to know not to discard the motor if you did remove it and your efforts to get it running shouldn't cease.

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:46 AM

If you replace the engine, the hood may not close properly.  Many a DB has suffered the indignity of a sawsall hack job.

#8 Robert199115 OFFLINE  

Robert199115
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 06:42 PM

A little update on the walk behind tractor. I Got it to run today and used it plow some snow. I did have a question of weather the engine is two or four stroke and if the air intake cap should have oil in it. This one did not sure if this is normal or right. Also a little curious if the engine has an auto governor or what the lever is that the throttle cable attaches to.  

• LPBolens said thank you

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 07:43 PM

A little update on the walk behind tractor. I Got it to run today and used it plow some snow. I did have a question of weather the engine is two or four stroke and if the air intake cap should have oil in it. This one did not sure if this is normal or right. Also a little curious if the engine has an auto governor or what the lever is that the throttle cable attaches to.  

Four stroke Briggs Model 6 with mechanical governor, 1.5 hp, the air cleaner assy is called a oil bath type and should have clean 5-30 weight oil up to the arrow showing max fill, drain and clean every 50 operating hours or so. The lever that protrudes from the engine block is the governor lever and link that controls the engine speed, the lever/ sliding plate that the throttle cable connects to has a very small spring and that is connected to the carb, the throttle cable pulling down on the plate is counteracted by the internal governor. The spring overcomes the governor opening the carb throttle plate increasing engine speed.

Edited by trowel, January 10, 2014 - 07:44 PM.

• Lauber1 and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#10 Robert199115 OFFLINE  

Robert199115
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 09:53 PM

So How Would I Adjust The Governor. Does The Lever Go All The Way Down At Lowest Idle. Also Still Looking For Some Sort Of Idea About An Value.  

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 02:46 AM

Do you have a picture or two of the unit?

#12 Robert199115 OFFLINE  

Robert199115
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted January 19, 2014 - 11:31 PM

Yes I Will Up Load Some. Gas Line Is Disconnected Because I Am Trying To Adjust The Governor

Attached Thumbnails

• e bay 001.JPG
  • e bay 002.JPG
  • e bay 003.JPG

• VSTROM803 said thank you

#13 rut3556 OFFLINE  

rut3556
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 15910
  • 8 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 06:16 PM

Except for the "skins" it looks pretty original.

#14 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • Member No: 52259
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 06:25 PM

Looks like a pretty clean, good looking unit.

#15 Robert199115 OFFLINE  

Robert199115
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 02:28 AM

Does Any One Know How Adjust The Governor? I Lost The Metal Link That Goes From The Carb To The Governor So I Need To Know The Length Of This Link So I Can Make A New One. Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated. Thank You  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: value