#31 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 09:54 PM

I'm down to 13 cases of 100 watt bulbs and 21 cases of 60 watt bulbs. I'm getting nervous.

Glad I'm not the only one. 4 cases of 100 watt, 24 cases of 60. :D

• Cat385B, oldedeeres and Bill 76 have said thanks

#32 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:38 AM

I was told the incandescent are being taken from shelves as I type. If you want those, better go stock up as much as possible. We use the 75 & 100 watts as heat lamps for all my kids' reptiles, gonna suck having to pay $15-30 for actual heat bulbs when the $.75 work fine.

75 and 100 watt bulbs have been out of production for a year already.  Now its the 40 and 60 watt bulbs.

How dangerous are these? I've heard this so much but I heard the same things about fluorescent bulbs and we used to break them things over each other when having light Sabre fights

From what I understand, the 4 foot fluorescent tubes have much more mercury.  For some reason, it's not considered a problem with them.

I absolutely hate CFLs mainly because of the slow start up and the fact that I've had several melt down.  I generally turn off the lights in rooms I'm not using.  If you just need to pop into a room to quickly find something, CFLs are terrible as I usually find what I was looking for and leave before there is any useable light output.  They force you to use more electricity because you have to leave lights on all the time that you previously would have turned off.  I've had three meltdowns now that I can't believe didn't start fires.  On two of them there was actual dripping plastic on the floor underneath the bulb and exposed electronics from the starter.  I pulled all mine after the last incident and started buying LED.  While I'm happy with the quality of light from the LEDs, they still don't have any higher lumen bulbs that are any way near affordable and, apparently the electronics still melt down like the CFLs. :wallbanging:

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#33 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 10:24 AM

We are switching over to the LED bulbs now, they seem to be just as gright or brighter than the old normal bulbs, not sure how long they will last but so far one year in I haven't had one go out yet. But man they are pricey. :mad2:

• oldedeeres said thank you

#34 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 12:44 PM

75 and 100 watt bulbs have been out of production for a year already.  Now its the 40 and 60 watt bulbs.

.  On two of them there was actual dripping plastic on the floor underneath the bulb and exposed electronics from the starter.  . :wallbanging:

I have still been able to find both 75 and 100's, the other too were getting scarce in my neck of the woods.

I was watching a video of some 2013 compulation of funny videos or somthing like that. Anyway, some newscaster was trying to talk, a overhead light blew right above the camera. Then on the video, you could see the white hot globs of something dripping from the light fixture, looked kind of scary!

#35 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,081 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 03:01 PM

I haven't had one melt down, and I've had some in for 6 months.  I'm not a big fan of these bulbs at all.

We have 6 of them at work on an outside covered staircase that goes up over the hill to an upper parking lot.  They are lucky to last in there on 24/7 for a month or 2.  The MFG on those bulbs claims a 6000 hour life.  We get between 720 to 1400 hours out of each bulb.  Unless leaving them on 24/7 causes heat and the bulb to fail!

#36 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 05:51 PM

I bet they are enclosed fixtures. A big no no for cfls

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

#37 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 05:48 PM

Glad I'm not the only one. 4 cases of 100 watt, 24 cases of 60. :D

In five years some of them on ebay ---Buy me now---$10 each........No make that $20 each....do I hear $30.... . :rolling:

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#38 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 08:27 PM

I'm really surprised at all of the negative comments about CFL's. I have about 10 in my house in fixtures that are constantly used and frequently left on for hours every day. Not a single one has burnt out and one main spotlight cfl above the kitchen sink is about 8 years old and still works perfectly. I bought some of the instant on cfl's about 18 months ago and put them in fixtures that have opaque globes and you would never know that they are not normal incandescent bulbs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
  • motobreeder, BairleaFarm and marlboro180 have said thanks