• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 10:52 PM

I'm down to 13 cases of 100 watt bulbs and 21 cases of 60 watt bulbs. I'm getting nervous.

hord much.....

I have close to the same as you..  Along with pasta thats on same for this summers cookouts... :smilewink:

• oldedeeres said thank you

#17 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 10:55 PM

marketed it to the right people, IMO.

Someones family was in office somewhere important. 

#18 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,655 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 12:40 AM

Just bought some replacement CFL's enclosed like outdoor spot lights for my trip light. REg old bulbs are way high now.  BUT, the new ones come on real dim yellow and takes awhile to get white and real light. They only stay on about 6 mins, and that doesn't allow them to get bright.  NOW, the snow is blowing and they have been on/off all night and they brighten up quite fast!  Work when you Don't really need them, ha!

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#19 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Duke Energy sent u s a free box a couple years ago, I use then when a regular bulb goes out. They take forever to start if used in outside fixtures.

I was told the incandescent are being taken from shelves as I type. If you want those, better go stock up as much as possible. We use the 75 & 100 watts as heat lamps for all my kids' reptiles, gonna suck having to pay $15-30 for actual heat bulbs when the $.75 work fine.

Do a search for the CFL mercury posioning, get a cut from the glass and some mercury in your skin....it can get nasty and people have lost fingers/hands cause of it.

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#20 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,535 Thanks
  • 3,923 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 11:44 AM

I am not sold yet on the idea of the CFL yet. Tried it a few times and thought it didn't have the lifetime for the price. I guess I should start getting used to it now.

#21 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 12:12 PM

leave it to our government to mandate us use something that they don't know how to dispose of... or want manufactured in our country.

• jpackard56, Team_Green, marlboro180 and 3 others have said thanks

#22 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Soo, a bigger question. Does the energy saved from transitioning to a mercury laden CFL, that may or may not be recyclable, really offset the energy used in the actual cost of shopping these bulbs, then driving them around to reclimation centers ? I am all for saving energy, but this seems out of line to me at this point.

My wife was in out attic, and knocked her head on one of these CFL's recently.... it took a ton of energy to clean it all up, and get her cleaned up decently.... Just sayin'.

• Sawdust said thank you

#23 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:39 PM

How dangerous are these? I've heard this so much but I heard the same things about fluorescent bulbs and we used to break them things over each other when having light Sabre fights
  • Sawdust said thank you

#24 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 10:41 PM

^^^ dangerous enough to have the EPA warn us about them. http://www2.epa.gov/...ning-broken-cfl

• twostep said thank you

#25 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 11:34 PM

Don't be alarmed; these steps are only precautions that reflect best practices for cleaning up a broken CFL. Keep in mind that CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury -- less than 1/100th of the amount in a mercury thermometer

I sincerly doubt that one broken bulb is going to hurt us in anyway unless you ate it.

nowif you smashed a whole case of them then ate them....

#26 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 12:12 AM

Don't be alarmed; these steps are only precautions that reflect best practices for cleaning up a broken CFL. Keep in mind that CFLs contain a very small amount of mercury -- less than 1/100th of the amount in a mercury thermometer

I sincerly doubt that one broken bulb is going to hurt us in anyway unless you ate it.

nowif you smashed a whole case of them then ate them....

The more ya talk to Marlboro180 in chat the more you will realize that that should be a concern...  :poke:  

• KennyP said thank you

#27 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 12:14 AM

The more ya talk to Marlboro180 in chat the more you will realize that that should be a concern...  :poke:  

^^^ dangerous enough to have the EPA warn us about them. http://www2.epa.gov/...ning-broken-cfl

Right?????  :wave:

• marlboro180 said thank you

#28 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 09:57 AM

We have found no real advantage to using them either. They don't take the cold as well as the old bulbs, don't last as long as advertised, and unless you get the "daylight" ones they are not nearly as bright as the wattage would indicate. Just a money grab because someone got a bright (pun intended)idea and marketed it to the right people, IMO.

I agree with everything you said, but I'm wondering after reading all these posts...am I the only one that is driven buggy by the insesent humming they make?? I've bought LED's and old stock (black mrket) to keep my sanity in a couple areas of the house.

O.k. to try and keep what sanity I do have... :wave:

• twostep, Team_Green and marlboro180 have said thanks

#29 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 08:27 PM

Sorry, I deleted my comment before I get in trouble about being political!

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, January 07, 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#30 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Bought my last one about 3 months ago and I will never buy one again,There garbage,Had one in the shed and in the cold it put out less light than a kerosene lantern.Got some real light bulbs under lock and key,just hope my stash holds out until the leds are perfected and the price comes down.

• twostep and marlboro180 have said thanks