37 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:10 PM

Does any one use them? I have 41 bulbs in my house. They all had cfls when it was built in 07. Its a floor display modular home that I got a couple years ago so some lights were rarely used I'm sure. I recycle them and have only been through 16 bulbs. I started writing dates on them. Some have lasted 6 years. It seems 2-4 years is average.

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1388956210598.jpg

• daytime dave, hamman, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:20 PM

I don't find they last as long as advertised. They have a lot of mercury in them so should be recycled properly. The bulb itself doesn't get hot but the electronics in the base are the weak spot and heat kills them. Using them in a sealed fixture will cause premature failure. Led bulbs are a much better solution IMO. They will eventually come down in price enough to make them viable. 

• daytime dave, Alc, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#3 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:28 PM

They break sometimes, or come loose from the base. Make sure you handle broken ones with latex or rubber gloves. I have seen them actually explode. Have seen ones (from family or friends, that had caught fire.)  Not sure why and can't say how old or new they were. I have them in my house but as soon as I can afford to replace them with the LED Bright White bulbs I will. I am still not convinced the doing away with incadesent bulbs is the right thing to do. Old school person here. They used to have the "Forever Light Bulb" that was being produced in Pontiac, MI. and they went away after the Government got involved. Not sure what the answer is but for now we have to use waht we can get. Thanks. Roger.

• daytime dave, Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:38 PM

As stated above....these are not as environmental friendly as the government wants us to think!

A home owner can put one of these in a landfill, but a business or industry can't....go figure.

My wife tried these a couple of times for her "reading" light, but couldn't get one that was bright enough to do the trick!

• Bolens 1000, daytime dave, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:38 PM

Lots of electric company's doing programs to change low income homes over to these. My local provider offered anyone boxes of those for Free and I took offer couple times!  They DON'T work on their side. I tried some in my garage door openers and they didn't last long at all, and base got hot, melted the bulb holder on the opener. Now they don't work even with reg bulbs. They do seem to be closing them up now. Make them LOOK like a regular bulb, for the skeptical ones maybe?  Also many are now eclosed with a thicker plastic jacket over the spiral tube to hold in parts when they break. One issue is that they are going to make bulbs not available anymore and we will all be buying new light fixtures for the house next few years. Lamp makers will be doing well! Not sure what is happening on 3-way lights either. They gonna be obsolete?  Just starting to make some dimable now, which wasn't an option in past. LED's are nice, but too much for average home to buy up many. Most are TOO bright too that I have found or used. Trying to figure out the new specs to compare to Watts is harder now, they kinda quit putting that info on packaging it seems.

The darn things are also made in China!  Won't be any bulb makers in US soon!

• daytime dave, hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:46 PM

When I moved in my house the electric company sent me 2 cases of these. Assorted wattages ect. I have them in most lights now. They work ok. Seem to take awhile to reach full brightness when they are in a cold area. Basement. Garage. Shed
  • hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:46 PM

I put them in my home 4 or 5 years ago. "To save money"  well, I only have 1 or 2 left.  Only the ones that hang straight down have lasted.  all the others set in the sockets sideways and either burned out in a few months or melted at the little tubes. I hate them.

I read somewhere once that to dispose of them, you should handle them with gloves, put in a plastic bag and tie it up.  Put that into another plastic bag and tie that up too. Then tuck it away someplace till the government figures out what to do with them as they don't want them to end up in a landfill.

• daytime dave, hamman, marlboro180 and 1 other said thanks

#8 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 05:28 PM

I turn my old ones in at Lowe's. I don't tighten the globes on my ceiling lights. I leave just a little crack for air flow. It's helped

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

• daytime dave, Alc, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 06:05 PM

I'm down to 13 cases of 100 watt bulbs and 21 cases of 60 watt bulbs. I'm getting nervous.

• Bolens 1000, daytime dave, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#10 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 07:55 PM

Is this including just " intermediate " screw in bulbs? If so, I can deal with that, as I have just a small pecentage of those in my place. Most of the rest are LED rope lights, and moreso all sorts of goofy bulbs overall .  Somehow, when I built our place, I knew I would get screwed by having about 140 bulbs....

• daytime dave, hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 08:50 PM

I have used these all over my house.  I have a few Led bulbs, but they are not as good yet.  I have some on motion sensor switches in my home.  It needs an incandescent in series with the led or cfls to work.

#12 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 08:54 PM

I noticed the cfls didn't work with my motion sensors. Added a regular bulb in all those fixtures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

#13 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 10:00 PM

The day they ban incandescent bulbs, I'm imagining an easy-bake ovens with an LED bulbs.  Hopefully kids learn to like room-temperature cookie dough.

• Alc, KennyP, JDBrian and 3 others have said thanks

#14 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,868 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 10:36 PM

We have found no real advantage to using them either. They don't take the cold as well as the old bulbs, don't last as long as advertised, and unless you get the "daylight" ones they are not nearly as bright as the wattage would indicate. Just a money grab because someone got a bright (pun intended)idea and marketed it to the right people, IMO.
  • Alc, jpackard56, Team_Green and 1 other said thanks

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,624 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 10:37 PM

I feel the same about CFL's as I do those wonderful new style gas can spouts.  THANK YOU UNCLE SAM for protecting me from .....

• TheFarm2004, jpackard56, twostep and 3 others have said thanks