#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 01:49 PM

Lots of big snow coming down and gonna be awhile. All day they say, till MON morning. 5" or so at 1:00 o,clock and still coming hard. Closing everything around for days, but GM is still gonna try to make Trucks! We NEED those trucks, you know! We have guys from WI and Mid IN that drive long ways. I bet they Don't and we have hard time running, like usual on 3rd shift Sunday. Thinking of going out now and trying to push some on my tractors. Have a D W-horse and a Speedex. Speedex is just for lighter front stuff, need the big rig for most of it. Dog needs place to "Go". Ha! Last year we had 3 times with pushable snow all winter. We've had 2 big times already this year. They warned it would be a harder winter this year, maybe right!
  • hamman, Talntedmrgreen, farmer john and 1 other said thanks

#2 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 02:33 PM

We were supposed to get a ton of it too, but now it maybe only 4-5" and we are now getting rain at 40*, supposed to be -5 or something like that over night. Gonna make for great driving in tthe morning ice under snow. Where by the way, I have to work in my lab with no heat cause Duke Energy is cutting our gas usuage back so the have enough to heat homes, plant gets to stay home, I have to go in. :wallbanging:  Gonna be a lousy day tomorrow I can feel it.

• farmer john said thank you

#3 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:02 PM

We are about done with the snow and the wind is starting to howl. A precursor to the chilly temps coming in tonight.

Geno

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:15 PM

this weather is crazy, yesterday freeze my butt off while stuck inside my skid steer, this morning snow, its 4:00 now and 40 degress and everything is melting, they are calling for rain now and then freezing temps over night with snow, i will probably have to drive my wife to work, she is a school teacher and has been off for 2 weeks, my life is about to return to "normal" ha ha ha !!! retirement is the best job i ever had, so if you have to go out be safe and watch out for the other guy, and enjoy your seat time. farmer john

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:22 PM

Here's some pix. Snowing all while plowing. After done the cothes were all wet and ME cold!  Some pix on the Speedex, I usually use in front of house. That little rig is slow, but can sure push the stuff easy. Barely above Idle, (cause of my throttle issues) and still goes. Even went downhill and up in drive and did better than the Horse D I used later. D gets stuck easy and spins. Definately needs weights. Almost got the Speedex back out to use, but just struggled with the D afterall.

Attached Thumbnails

• Winter plowing 1 2014 2014-01-05 002.jpg
  • Winter plowing 1 2014 2014-01-05 003.jpg
  • Winter plowing 1 2014 2014-01-05 004.jpg
  • Winter plowing 1 2014 2014-01-05 005.jpg
  • Winter plowing 1 2014 2014-01-05 006.jpg
  • Winter plowing 1 2014 2014-01-05 007.jpg
  • Winter plowing 1 2014 2014-01-05 001.jpg

• nra1ifer, JDBrian, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:28 PM

Looks pretty wintery there. The tractor looks like it's doing a great job. The weather is odd. We were at record lows for here on Thursday, big blizzard all day Friday, sun today and a bit above freezing then tomorrow high 40's and an inch of rain, then freezing up again over night. Nasty and our highway department is not staffed or budgeted to deal with this much snow and ice in a short time. It will be icy in the morning going into work. 

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 05:27 PM

I pushed about 4-5" last nite, 6" this morning, and have easily another 6" waiting on me, which I tackle shortly.  They say another 6" tonite, then lake effect Monday and Tuesday with the big winds and cold.  NOAA is watching our Winter Storm Warning, and it sounds pretty likely that they will cancel that tomorrow, in favor of a Blizzard Warning.  They will make the call based on how much snow Lake Michigan decides to blast us with.  We didn't have enough wind for it today.  :shoot2:  

I'm guessing schools will be cancelled, but businesses never do.  My office did send an email saying we could wear jeans though! :rolling:

#8 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 06:05 PM

Just got done with the drive way, hopefully I am done for a while.IMG_20140105_153648.jpg

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 08:06 PM

Well Gm finally cancelled 3rd first shifts. Wonder if Union complained? Emergency only now in Allen county too. Heard second stop.if driving could be $5000 fine! Restaurants closed all over spec delivery drivers.

Edited by glgrumpy, January 05, 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#10 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 08:13 PM

Here's some pix. Snowing all while plowing. After done the cothes were all wet and ME cold!  Some pix on the Speedex, I usually use in front of house. That little rig is slow, but can sure push the stuff easy. Barely above Idle, (cause of my throttle issues) and still goes. Even went downhill and up in drive and did better than the Horse D I used later. D gets stuck easy and spins. Definately needs weights. Almost got the Speedex back out to use, but just struggled with the D afterall.

Man, I wish I could find a front blade for my Speedex 1631!!! Maybe one of these days!

• glgrumpy said thank you

#11 bigspoon OFFLINE  

bigspoon

• Member No: 7851
  • 137 Thanks
  • 99 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 08:26 PM

Did a little snow removal with my Cub cadet 782D...franklin Indiana
I got a lot of seat time today..maybe some more tomorrow, but with temps sub zero I might think twice about it
uploadfromtaptalk1388971450971.jpg

#12 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 08:53 PM

Some pix on the Speedex, I usually use in front of house. That little rig is slow, but can sure push the stuff easy. Barely above Idle, (cause of my throttle issues) and still goes. Even went downhill and up in drive and did better than the Horse D I used later. D gets stuck easy and spins. Definately needs weights. Almost got the Speedex back out to use, but just struggled with the D afterall.

I'd love to see more of that machine!

• glgrumpy said thank you

#13 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 12:28 AM

nra1, there was one for yours on ebay for $125, think in PA tho.  They come up pretty often. Get the one that goes under tractor all the way with channel and hooks on the rear hitch hole, then has the U-shaped part that slips into a slot in middle and bolts up to the frame under engine. The Link to the same lift lever for mower can be made if missing. That IS missing many times.

T-green, think this is pictured on here in the Speedex forums, check my postings.

• Sawdust said thank you

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 12:34 AM

Well, still spittin' some here, but will be done soon. Windy as heck and now the snow is all piled up right where I don't want it to be, Yet yard and areas still cleared enough to see the grass and cement!  20 degrees now midnight, but will be minus temps in am and high of -6 tommorrow and colder at night. Then mid-week is gonna be some warmer again and MORE snow!  I Hate winter!  Now my back is real sore, must be from running the Speedex, pulling on blade handle and other things. The D doesn't turn well at all, maybe I wore myself out turning the wheel and moving body all around doing that?  Gonna be sore in AM and have to go out and try to clear some more I guess!  Did I mention that I Hate Winter?

• KennyP said thank you

#15 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:42 AM

I hope you feel OK today. All that fun on the GTs can wear a person out!

According to the Weather Channel site, it's a balmy 1 degree here in NW Arkansas, -17 wind chill. Looks like we got 3 or 4 inches of snow yesterday.