Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Any Downside To Filling Rear Tires With Fluid?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#31 TGaffney OFFLINE  

TGaffney
  • Member No: 10752
  • 40 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 11:13 PM

I believe I added about 6.5 gallons per tire - they were filled above the valve stem - as I had to fight a stream of fluid coming out to get the valve stem back in.  I had the rear end jacked up and as I was filling I could spin the tires and more or less determine the fill level based on when fluid started coming out of the valve stem.  I figured I would fill them as much as possible as I couldn't determine any reason not to.

#32 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 07:31 PM

Anyone ever try that pink RV antifreeze?  I think that stuff is pretty non toxic.   I don't know but it seems like that stuff might work pretty well.

I've used RV antifreeze in front tires and just bought 10 gals to put in the rears of my HT23. At 8 lbs per gallon, it will add 40 lbs per tire. It's the most eco-friendly--more so than WWF. It's good to -50.  I paid $3.49 a gallon at WalMart for it.

I definitely WOULD NOT use radiator antifreeze--which is ethylene glycol-based. It's extremely toxic even in small amounts, and has a sweet taste that attracts critters. If one or yours or a neighbor's pet drinks it, they'll die a slow, agonizing death from kidney failure.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, January 31, 2014 - 01:58 AM.

• Jack said thank you