• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:43 PM

Guys, Thanks for the advise with my B-112. I got the lite rust out of the discharge and applied a heavy coat of wax. We had a foot of new snow here 2 days ago and I got it moved with no problems. Do you have advise for cold weather starting? I give a tiny bit of throttle and full choke. It took a bit but I got her started. The temp in the barn was about 14. That old starter/generator just spins slow. By the way it was -3 over night and 3 when I went to move the snow. Tuesday is supposed to be -10 with a high not to 0. I hope we dont get snow enough to where I have to get on the roof at that temp. I did the roof today and I am so sore I can hardly pick up my arms.

Here's a few pictures.

post-1581-0-02614200-1388885926.jpg post-1581-0-45324900-1388885954.jpg

• hamman and T Guiles have said thanks

#2 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:58 PM

Steve,
Your battery probably doesn't like the cold. Take it out and keep it in the house. Or put a battery minder on it.
You could also put a heavy tarp over your tractor with an incandescent light under it to heat the tractor over night.

Are You using an Ipad?

Joe

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:42 PM

Agreed...I find a trickle charger keeps a battery top-notch, but those old Briggs can be pull-started, even in cold weather.  It shouldn't take much cranking.  Might want to look at your fuel flow...even a lengthy fuel line can cause a hard start on the updraft carbs.  Some fuel filters restrict flow enough to hold back on that initial 'slug' of fuel needed for starting...or a gas cap that isn't venting properly.  Sometimes the fuel screws need a tweak for colder weather because the air is richer in oxygen.

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 10:02 PM

I use full or 3/4 throttle and full choke on start, then pull back and feahter both, just like trimming an airplane

#5 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 109 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 10:40 AM

Thanks,

The battery is new and I have it on a trickle charger. New 5/16" fuel line and filter too. The Allis and Cubs just don't make many rpms with the starter/generator.

Joe, I did send the pictures from my I pad. Thanks for fixing them.

Edited by steve b, January 05, 2014 - 10:41 AM.

• Rock farmer and OkieGt have said thanks

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 10:45 AM

Thanks,

The battery is new and I have it on a trickle charger. New 5/16" fuel line and filter too. The Allis and Cubs just don't make many rpms with the starter/generator.

Does anyone know the difference in rpms, starter generator to starter?

#7 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 10:05 AM

Thanks,

I didn't fix them. That must have been one of the moderators!
iPads know which way is up, they just don't want to share it!
When taking pictures with an ipad, always put the screen push button to the right.
To correct a picture you already taken, rotate it to ninty degrees, and save it. then rotate it until it looks right, and save it again. Save it, and it will know top from bottom just like the rest of the world understands it.

Joe
  • MH81 said thank you