#1 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 07:51 PM

I have a 70's  MF8 with the 8hp Tecumseh engine that I think is going to need the stator replaced. Is there any conversion kit to replace this and convert to solid state ignition?

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 10:30 PM

What Tecumseh model are we looking at? 

Solid state ignition can be added for about $13.  You use the same coil, stator, and such parts, but add a chip in to replace the condenser and points.  I have those solid state kits in stock, they've worked well when I get ticked too far on points and condenser.

However, the stater will work best being replaced as a magneto style, not the under flywheel alternator engines use now.  If a kit is available, I would need a model to find out.  I doubt it though, I've never heard of one. 

I have a new magneto style stator in a box.  I think I have a set of charging coils, also, depending on model number and number of coils required.  Many times all the problem is is a broken wire or a ground grounding in the wrong place. 

Ben W.

• Traill95 said thank you

#3 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 06:55 PM

What Tecumseh model are we looking at? 

Solid state ignition can be added for about $13.  You use the same coil, stator, and such parts, but add a chip in to replace the condenser and points.  I have those solid state kits in stock, they've worked well when I get ticked too far on points and condenser.

However, the stater will work best being replaced as a magneto style, not the under flywheel alternator engines use now.  If a kit is available, I would need a model to find out.  I doubt it though, I've never heard of one. 

I have a new magneto style stator in a box.  I think I have a set of charging coils, also, depending on model number and number of coils required.  Many times all the problem is is a broken wire or a ground grounding in the wrong place. 

Ben W.

I will get back to you this weekend on the exact year and model. I got tired of it shearing the key in the flywheel every time I tried to start it so put it in the other garage and went back to working on my choremasters.