21 replies to this topic

#16 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 10:54 PM

I talked the the seller I asked him about the shape it was in and he said that it was in good working shape he had it on his own tractor last year. ... Or does he have the LGT 120 I might have to call back before my cousin makes the transaction

I think i looked at this last year, if it is the one in the post i made above it is the same style tractor as your 140.  I didn't look at the deck but did see it mounted on the tractor.  Whether or not it will work on your 140 depends on if you have the same brackets under your tractor but it was mounted on a similar style tractor to yours, the 60's older style.  Nice guy to talk to btw.

Just talked to the seller again. Feel like I'm irritating him but he was fine with it. He said it was the 1969 Ford 120 he had not the LGT 120 so that set my mind at eas a bit. I might be lucking out also because I asked him if I was going to need some kind of Sleeve hitch for the tiller he said that i shouldn't because it had a triangle piece that he is sending with the tiller that fits the back of the tractor it just needs a bolt. I think that is the sleeve hitch I be leave not sure though until I see it.

The tiller has a subframe that bolts onto the back of the tractor where the drawbar goes, just remove the drawbar with the ball hitch and bolt the tiller subframe in its place.  Heavy but with a floor jack not hard to do.  There is no sleeve hitch with the older tillers like this.  The tiller comes with its own subframe and pivots on that.  With the tiller mounted you won't have a ball for towing and it takes a while to take on/off the tractor, line up the bolt holes, etc.  Good luck-

#17 Islandford OFFLINE  

Islandford
  • Member No: 44827
  • 15 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 10:41 AM

It maybe a sleeve hitch adapter. The tiller my be able to hook up to a 3 point as well and the triangle piece allows it to pin to a sleeve hitch, of course it could be just the opposite, or none of the above. Is he not sending pictures that you can share???? There are many members here and across the boards including many eBay sellers who mistakenly label one point hitches as three point hitches. This mislabeling makes it very difficult for new and old users/buyers/collectors to know what they are buying. If you never saw an apple and someone said it was an orange you would think all apples were oranges. The one point sleeve hitches on a Cub, Bolens, Sears, Ford, Allis, etc are often labeled and sold as three point hitches, when in fact they are not. If one bar or one rod lifts the hitch it is a one point hitch or sleeve hitch, if it has a rock shaft with two lift links and a center link, it is a 3 point hitch, and the Sears 3 point is a variation of the category 0 three point and its implements are particular to its tractors alone. Anyone considering a rear hitch better be well versed on the equipment and it's nomenclature, or they are going to get burned and feeling are going to get hurt.

Thanks for all the info on the sleeve hitch I am clueless on what types are what. Like I said before just started getting into Garden tractors and am quite ignorant about all the attachments and stuff. I.m learning though. The seller didn't send any pictures but Oldford another member of GTtalk actually knew who I was talking about and had personally seen the tiller and deck and gave me a good heads up about what I was getting into. I just called the seller and canceled my order for now and I told him if he had the attachments this spring I would come up personally and check them out. Its not really the best time for me to be jumping into buying something I never even seen. I just know that the Decks are hard to come buy that's why I got a little spend happy. Oh well maybe I'll luck out this summer. Did Ford or Jacobsen make a 3 point hitch to fit for this model or did they just make the single sleeve hitch. What I was assuming he had was this not sure. This is called a single pin sleeve hitch right? Thanks. Well I was going to put I picture I have in my gallery on this quote but I don't know how I tried dragging the image and I got an error. But there is a picture of a hitch in my gallery and I'm not sure about what it is really called think its a single pin sleeve hitch.

• OkieGt said thank you

#18 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 10:58 AM

I just checked your gallery. Yes that is the Ford factory sleeve hitch. Also called a Brinly hitch.
The three point hitch is different.

Jow

#19 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 11:07 AM

This is what I meant about starting a dictionary or glossary of terms. Communication cannot be effective or accomplished if two parties are using different terms neither knowing what the other means. Unfortunately it seems some people want to reject the idea or project as worthless or flawed, it seems again communication is not occuring. Not to second guess you but I would never let that deck go without making the trip, finding another a few years ago was eaiser, nowadays and in the future. you may have to wait until someone "passes"

Edited by OkieGt, January 09, 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#20 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 03:39 PM

OkieGt I'm sure you are right for Oklahoma, but Maine is a long ways from OK.  Maybe there Jake/Fords are hard to find, old Ford stuff is cheap here and hard to resell if it doesn't work.  OP lives on an island in the middle of Penobscot Bay surrounded by salt air.  Makes sense to look for an aluminum deck that originally came with his tractor.  The deck in question isn't aluminum and he hasn't heard it running.  In Maine spring is when mower stuff comes up for sale.  Not everybody has the same skills as everyone else to make different stuff work or extra money laying around, some people have to be careful what they buy.  The tiller in question isn't currently operating.   The OP recently bought his tractor if memory serves and hasn't had it running yet.  Finally the parts in question have been for sale for months with no local takers.  OkieGt If you want the stuff I know someone hauling West soon, maybe he could bring it to you, pm me if interested. 

Islandford i didn't see your gallery but it sounds like you have a sleeve hitch on your tractor?  It would go up and down in the back, pretty useful thing to have.  You would have to lose that, to mount a tiller.  Most angle iron fords with tillers don't take them off, too much hassle, so you basically lose sleeve hitch and towing ability with a tiller on a pre-72 Ford/Jake GT

Another advantage to a sleeve hitch is you can pull a garden plow with one, not the same as a tiller but you can still make a garden.  Keeping the sleeve hitch you can also tow stuff around the yard, pull small trees, etc.  If yours is a brinly hitch like someone said above you could put weight in there, makes a good counterweight when lifting front or mid implements.  Check out my gallery you'll see what i mean, i put a plate in mine, works great.   Or if you need a tiller you could sell the sleeve hitch, big bucks on ebay.  Good luck-

• OkieGt said thank you

#21 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 06:22 PM

OkieGt I'm sure you are right for Oklahoma, but Maine is a long ways from OK.  Maybe there Jake/Fords are hard to find, old Ford stuff is cheap here and hard to resell if it doesn't work.  OP lives on an island in the middle of Penobscot Bay surrounded by salt air.  Makes sense to look for an aluminum deck that originally came with his tractor.  The deck in question isn't aluminum and he hasn't heard it running.  In Maine spring is when mower stuff comes up for sale.  Not everybody has the same skills as everyone else to make different stuff work or extra money laying around, some people have to be careful what they buy.  The tiller in question isn't currently operating.   The OP recently bought his tractor if memory serves and hasn't had it running yet.  Finally the parts in question have been for sale for months with no local takers.  OkieGt If you want the stuff I know someone hauling West soon, maybe he could bring it to you, pm me if interested. 

Islandford i didn't see your gallery but it sounds like you have a sleeve hitch on your tractor?  It would go up and down in the back, pretty useful thing to have.  You would have to lose that, to mount a tiller.  Most angle iron fords with tillers don't take them off, too much hassle, so you basically lose sleeve hitch and towing ability with a tiller on a pre-72 Ford/Jake GT

Another advantage to a sleeve hitch is you can pull a garden plow with one, not the same as a tiller but you can still make a garden.  Keeping the sleeve hitch you can also tow stuff around the yard, pull small trees, etc.  If yours is a brinly hitch like someone said above you could put weight in there, makes a good counterweight when lifting front or mid implements.  Check out my gallery you'll see what i mean, i put a plate in mine, works great.   Or if you need a tiller you could sell the sleeve hitch, big bucks on ebay.  Good luck-

The deck in question isn't aluminum I did not see that, yep  Iwould wait as well. It must be nice to see GTs and implements closer than 6 hours away, because thats almost my average drive for anything I've bought

• Oldford said thank you

#22 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 07:49 PM

Yep 6 hours is what the OP was looking at counting boat time if he was to go himself.  That is why i felt like i should say what i saw, so he could have some info before making such a long trip sight unseen.  Didn't tell him not to buy i can't make that call for somebody else.  just told him what i saw and offered to help where i could if he bought that or something else.  In fact it could be a good deal for someone, not every day you see a Ford tiller for sale working or not.

Old Jake/Fords don't grow on trees around here but there always seem to be a couple good deals a year, patience is the name of the game on a budget.