• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Islandford OFFLINE  

Islandford
  • Member No: 44827
  • 15 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 06:03 PM

I bought a Ford 140 last spring haven't worked on it yet. I just saw that a guy has a Ford 120 deck for sale he said make him an offer I'm not sure what the price would be. For one I haven't seen it and I live on an Island so I need to take a hour and a half boat ride then a two hour rd trip to see it. what are the questions I should ask over the phone and what is a reasonable price for a deck. I'm not even sure if the Ford 120 and Ford 140 are compatible or not. The guy is going to call me back in an hour to tell me the size he thought it was a 48" I know they make a 42" but is there a 48" also.

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 06:10 PM

They are compatible, ask if there is any noise or play in the arbors, what condition the belts are in, and if he can email Pics, 125.00 is about what I would pay for a GOOD deck for that tractors, other brands go for more, and some go for less, JMHO

• Islandford said thank you

#3 Islandford OFFLINE  

Islandford
  • 15 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 06:22 PM

Thanks OkieGt I know the guy said it didn't have any rust holes or broken parts not sure if he even used the deck himself sounded like he just used the tractor for plowing. He was selling the whole works for $400 the tractor a tiller, deck and plow with 2 extra parts motors but since he's using it now for all the snow he changed his mind on selling all, but I think I can talk him into selling me the deck. I've been having a hard time finding a deck in Maine so I'm going to jump on this one just wasn't sure about price thanks again for the info. I'll ask him about the arbors and belt also.

• OkieGt said thank you

#4 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:11 PM

Yes, like OkieGt says, the decks will interchange. If he has a deck for a 120, I would think it is likely the cast-aluminum 42". With those, as with any other mowing deck, you'd also want to know if there are any cracks, thin spots, bends or welding repair that has been done. Another thing that tends to be worn out are the gauge wheels. As for the price; I bought a "decent" 47" deck for a John Deere 212 this year for 175.00 - and it still needed a little work. A junk deck is basically worthless, but a good deck is worth paying a little extra. If you need one, I'd offer 50-75 to start. You can always go up.

• OkieGt and Islandford have said thanks

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:28 PM

Yes, like OkieGt says, the decks will interchange. If he has a deck for a 120, I would think it is likely the cast-aluminum 42". With those, as with any other mowing deck, you'd also want to know if there are any cracks, thin spots, bends or welding repair that has been done. Another thing that tends to be worn out are the gauge wheels. As for the price; I bought a "decent" 47" deck for a John Deere 212 this year for 175.00 - and it still needed a little work. A junk deck is basically worthless, but a good deck is worth paying a little extra. If you need one, I'd offer 50-75 to start. You can always go up.

I hate it when they ask you to come up with a price, if they wont, try and be tactful and give him a chance to counter with nobody's feeling getting hurt, claim ignorance what ever to get him to put a price on it. I think I would start at 75.00, so as not to be labeled a"lowballer", and just say you don't know, its old. Dont let him think you want it bad or that your a collector or else he may try to jack the price, I usually converse about the tractor and ask about the history of it, maybe even a little about who he is and what he likes, after getting to know one another a good deal is certainly to ensue for all.

• RAJ and Islandford have said thanks

#6 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 10:49 PM

I hate it when they want you to sell it, and buy it at the same time... 50 to 75 is a good first offer   good luck

• RAJ and Islandford have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 02:49 AM

Worst of all situations from a buyers perspective.
You want it,
He knows you want it,
He doesn't care if he sells it,
It's a long way just to go kick tires,
He won't give you a $,
The seller is "grading" it for you.

I think you need to (right now) have a talk with your tractor and see what the two of you are willing to pay as a max number for something that may or may not be immediately usable.

On the upside, when he sells the package, the deck in or out of the deal would only be about $100 difference if in good+ condition, so anything over that would probably be gravy for him.
  • OkieGt, Islandford and Oldford have said thanks

#8 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 11:22 PM

A good aluminum deck 42" goes for around 125.  The aluminum decks are really nice but usually come with a tractor attached.  Around a couple times a year in maine something pops up running in the $300 range decent shape with correct alu deck.

Is this the one you're asking about?  If so looks like he paid $75 for everything plus a snowblower which i think he no longer has.

http://gardentractor...120-snowblower/

If it's the one I'm thinking of it was pieced together, the deck was steel, not the right deck for the year, i think the pulleys were modified, tiller busted/incomplete, atv blade, sitting outside, etc.  Pretty rough and the guy wanted a lot for it, like 300-500 i think.  Not knocking the guy just trying to give you some info before traveling 6 hours, buying gas and a ferry ticket.

• MH81 and Islandford have said thanks

#9 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 12:42 PM

I was thinking about this, looks like the 140 came with the aluminum 42" deck i believe 68-71.  thread with pics-

http://gardentractor...magnesium-deck/

Video of one working on a 140 with elec/hydro lift.  Also called a magnesium deck-

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=I_c_ayJ-iBA

Also manuals here might find some more info

http://gardentractor...&filter_key=all

To mount a 120 deck there should be a rear bracket under the frame below the battery.  Also a front bracket with 2 spring-loaded hooks under the engine.  Deck has a scissor frame that hooks into the 2 tractor brackets.

The older steel deck may use the scissor mount.  65-67 i think had a 36" square steel deck.  Might be the one on the tractor up north.  I think the newer steel decks were bigger than the 42alu.  As others have said i wouldn't pay more than 50-75 for a steel deck and it should have the mounts to fit your tractor.  Personally i would look for an aluminum deck, powerful and don't rust out.  lots of them made they pop up pretty regular.

If you want i can post some pics of my 120 so you can see if yours has the same brackets.  Then you could see if a 120 deck fits before taking a road trip.  Could also check out something on the main for you, i'm not far from Rockland.  We get over to vinalhaven sometimes to see an old friend, could carry my deck & you could see if it works on your 140, see what to look for.  Just have to wait until spring and get the logs out the back of the truck, iced in pretty good now.  good luck with your search-

#10 Islandford OFFLINE  

Islandford
  • 15 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 07:12 PM

I talked the the seller I asked him about the shape it was in and he said that it was in good working shape he had it on his own tractor last year. I offered him 100 for it he paused and then asked me if I was interested in the  tiller with it also. He said the tiller needed  to be fixed it had a bad bearing. He told me he was in the middle of fixing as we speak. I told him I would take both pieces for $175 as is. He excepted. I still haven't seen the deck or the tiller because like I said I live on an Island and it hard for me to take a ferry boat off island to then make a two hour trip to someplace and check something out just to have to make it back in time to catch the ferry boat back home at 4pm plus the ferry is first come first serve so there's no  guarantee making it back. My cousin up in Bangor ME is going to pick it up for me. The only thing that is worrying me is the seller told me he measured the deck and it is 50" he wasn't sure if it was considered a 48" or a 50". I know I'm new to all of this tractor business but did they make a 48 or 50" for the For 120 or 140 I thought they only made the 42". Or does he have the LGT 120 I might have to call back before my cousin makes the transaction

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 07:22 PM

Often, the deck outside measurement would be bigger than the cutting width (how the mfg would list them)

#12 Islandford OFFLINE  

Islandford
  • 15 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 07:24 PM

I talked to my Tractor MH81 We both agree we are willing to spend the money just scared its not going to fit our needs. I think I might be jumping the gun a bit. I really don't know whats gotting into me since I bought the Ford 140 I've been on craiglist like crazy bought a Gravely 816 and still looking for more and I don't even have a working garden tractor yet. Its like some kind of addiction in trying to find some cool old tractor to have and hope that you can get it running down the road my wife will end up running me over with one of the tractor if I ever get one running.

• OkieGt and Oldford have said thanks

#13 Islandford OFFLINE  

Islandford
  • 15 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 07:54 PM

Just talked to the seller again. Feel like I'm irritating him but he was fine with it. He said it was the 1969 Ford 120 he had not the LGT 120 so that set my mind at eas a bit. I might be lucking out also because I asked him if I was going to need some kind of Sleeve hitch for the tiller he said that i shouldn't because it had a triangle piece that he is sending with the tiller that fits the back of the tractor it just needs a bolt. I think that is the sleeve hitch I be leave not sure though until I see it.

• OkieGt said thank you

#14 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:46 PM

I talked to my Tractor MH81 We both agree we are willing to spend the money just scared its not going to fit our needs. I think I might be jumping the gun a bit. I really don't know whats gotting into me since I bought the Ford 140 I've been on craiglist like crazy bought a Gravely 816 and still looking for more and I don't even have a working garden tractor yet. Its like some kind of addiction in trying to find some cool old tractor to have and hope that you can get it running down the road my wife will end up running me over with one of the tractor if I ever get one running.

Absolutely nothing wrong with what your doing or how your feeling, you sir are living life, enjoy it, and don't look back or have regrets.

#15 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 10:46 PM

Just talked to the seller again. Feel like I'm irritating him but he was fine with it. He said it was the 1969 Ford 120 he had not the LGT 120 so that set my mind at eas a bit. I might be lucking out also because I asked him if I was going to need some kind of Sleeve hitch for the tiller he said that i shouldn't because it had a triangle piece that he is sending with the tiller that fits the back of the tractor it just needs a bolt. I think that is the sleeve hitch I be leave not sure though until I see it.

It maybe a sleeve hitch adapter. The tiller my be able to hook up to a 3 point as well and the triangle piece allows it to pin to a sleeve hitch, of course it could be just the opposite, or none of the above. Is he not sending pictures that you can share???? There are many members here and across the boards including many eBay sellers who mistakenly label one point hitches as three point hitches. This mislabeling makes it very difficult for new and old users/buyers/collectors to know what they are buying. If you never saw an apple and someone said it was an orange you would think all apples were oranges. The one point sleeve hitches on a Cub, Bolens, Sears, Ford, Allis, etc are often labeled and sold as three point hitches, when in fact they are not. If one bar or one rod lifts the hitch it is a one point hitch or sleeve hitch, if it has a rock shaft with two lift links and a center link, it is a 3 point hitch, and the Sears 3 point is a variation of the category 0 three point and its implements are particular to its tractors alone. Anyone considering a rear hitch better be well versed on the equipment and it's nomenclature, or they are going to get burned and feeling are going to get hurt.

Edited by OkieGt, January 08, 2014 - 11:12 PM.