Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Is This Simplicity Sovereign And Tiller Complet?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ibskot OFFLINE  

ibskot
  • Member No: 52175
  • 26 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:31 PM

Ran across this and I have no clue if it is complete. I posted another thread about the need for a tiller. Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140104_134825.jpg
  • 20140104_134358.jpg

#2 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 05:09 PM

Not an expert on Simplicity's, but it looks complete. I would think there would be a guard over the belt though.

#3 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 06:03 PM

Yep the pully cover is gone and I believe that tiller came on a Allis HB212 or 112, late 60's tractor, the PTO and tiller are very different for that model od Sovrign, not sure how he modified it, or if it works like it should, I would be wary, and it would reflect highly in purchase price

#4 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:26 PM

It appears complete...it is for an early machine.  They offered that through 1967, then switched to the basic design that stuck until 2000.

If you are mounting it on a similar tractor to what is shown, it should work.  The potential problem would be speed...that tractor has a MUCH larger mid PTO pulley than what was included on the early machines for that tiller.  If the fella hasn't monkeyed with pulley ratios, hopefully he has run it at low engine speed, because it would be a real screamer otherwise, and likely fail prematurely.

If you want to use it on an earl machine, then there are important components under the seat pan that would be needed, that are unable to mount on the tractor pictured (and likely missing).

• OkieGt said thank you

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:34 PM

It appears complete...it is for an early machine.  They offered that through 1967, then switched to the basic design that stuck until 2000.

If you are mounting it on a similar tractor to what is shown, it should work.  The potential problem would be speed...that tractor has a MUCH larger mid PTO pulley than what was included on the early machines for that tiller.  If the fella hasn't monkeyed with pulley ratios, hopefully he has run it at low engine speed, because it would be a real screamer otherwise, and likely fail prematurely.

If you want to use it on an earl machine, then there are important components under the seat pan that would be needed, that are unable to mount on the tractor pictured (and likely missing).

exactly what I thought, These types of modifications by shade tree engineers is why space travel isn't something your brother in law does

#6 ibskot OFFLINE  

ibskot
  • 26 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:11 PM

$350 too high? It won't start but sounds like it really wants to. Carb? Gas? Either way gotta push it.

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:22 PM

$350 too high? It won't start but sounds like it really wants to. Carb? Gas? Either way gotta push it.

No, I don't think so, the tiller should be worth half that, but I really would consider returning it to a late model tiller, you should be able to do so without much, if not any money.

#8 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:37 PM

Does it have spark?

• OkieGt said thank you

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:57 PM

Does it have spark?

If it has spark, maybe bad gas, or car, if no spark look for glazed points first

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 03:46 AM

$350 is only high if he will come down.

All kidding aside, it sounds like there may be some issues with moving the tiller to another unit, but I'm sure none of them are insurmountable, just watch that you aren't missing a bunch of pieces as that can get expensive to correct. Also, it sounds as if there are ways this could have been 'rode hard and put away wet'.
Without it running, you will want to do all you can to check out the bevel gear box on the tractor too.

I will say this, my 112 and that style tiller combo is a dirt eating machine. Good luck.
  • OkieGt said thank you

#11 ibskot OFFLINE  

ibskot
  • 26 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 12:31 PM

I decided against it. I don't need another project when I am trying to close on a house and move in a couple weeks. Plus I an considering the"no till" approach. Thanks for the help.

http://eartheasy.com...till-gardening/
  • OkieGt said thank you

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 12:33 PM

I decided against it. I don't need another project when I am trying to close on a house and move in a couple weeks. Plus I an considering the"no till" approach. Thanks for the help.

http://eartheasy.com...till-gardening/

After discing with my Brinly 3 point DD-1000 tandem disc, I really have no need to till, lot less parts and problems