3 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,499 Thanks
  • 6,370 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 02:48 PM

Have tractor with Briggs 16 engine and the Flow-jet carb. I've rebuilt the carb last summer. Think I really have a governor problem. With cable hooked up, all moves fine with it. The gov arm out of the block barely  moves when setting still. I tried setting with BS instructions from manual. First I had it racing, then got back to idling OK. Barely moves tho when setting?  There is a long rod that you can set the gov speed with that goes to bracket on top. I played with that some so get nice sounding top speed. The thing is the throttle lever/cable moves same each time, YET the throttle never stays same. I can start the engine fine in idle. Sometimes when I throttle up it is running just as it should. Other times I throttle up and theres NO action. If I leave the lever up and drive some, then it starts to creep up some, and used to be racing pretty hard till I set the top gov speed on that link I mentioned. Can govs get sticky or worn inside block and cause issues?  I don't really know what is inside for gov controls, never had one down that far. OR, is there just too much slop in my throttle shaft? didn't seem to be when I cleaned it up, but ???  There are two springs on the linkage which seem way sloppy most times, yet when I try diff holes and such, either get nothing in speed up or blasting full throttle. I have them in positions now that look like correct according to the BS Book. Maybe some new springs is really all I need?  I'm at a loss with these engines. Give me a Kohler any day for ease of maintainance.

• hamman said thank you

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:29 PM

Can you post a picture of the throtle linkage? I have a Briggs 16hp in a Homelite I can get a picture of for you if you need. My BIL has a Simplicity 7014 that had a problem with nearly the same thing. The throttle cable had been hooked up wrong. When he changed it it works perfectly. Roger.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,440 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:37 PM

There was another fellow asking a similar question a couple of days ago.  Check this out.  It might help.

• sacsr and HDWildBill have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,417 Thanks
  • 4,883 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 08:50 AM

Since your having problems, shoot me your address, I will be up and take it off your hands for ya :bigrofl:

I can't help ya, I do have an old Briggs manual, but haven't had to adjust a governor. I have replaced one in a motor though do a rod breaking and taking out internal parts.