• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 07:51 AM

well here goes, super cold outside and they all calling for the temps tp drop further, going to be a tad warmer today, my cat deisel is running like crap, not coming up to full power or rpm, i have added 3 bottles of condtioner, changed the fuel filter/ seperators ($55 ) everyone here is having deisel issues, i even loaned my neighbour 2 bottles of conditioner as all the stores are out till tuesday, most stores were out of kerosene but i did find 2 gals at home hardware, 2 gals $31 (wow) how do you run thoses space heaters on that? my thoughts are to add it to my existing fuel, i have about 1/2 a tank - 12 gal/40 ltr
  • hamman said thank you

#2 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 07:57 AM

That's a total price gouge as far as kerosene goes, there's a couple gas stations here where I can buy it at the pump for around ~$4.00 a gallon.
  • hamman, marlboro180 and farmer john have said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,708 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:04 AM

You can go as high as 3:1 with the kerosene, (actually I have heard as high as 33%) if you're running #2 diesel. If you're running winter blend fuel or #1 diesel, it already has kero in it. If you decide to dump it in, mix in 2 cycle oil at a 100:1 ratio, the kero doesn't have crappola for lube properties. They weren't added due to it being used as a heating source.

• MH81, Alc, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#4 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:05 AM

That's a total price gouge as far as kerosene goes, there's a couple gas stations here where I can buy it at the pump for around ~$4.00 a gallon.

That's almost an understatement. Our prices here in Ohio are about the same. It's been running 4.25 with the tax included. Last week it was down to 4.16. They call it non taxed fuel and then they charge sales tax on it. Same with off road diesel.

We used to have an old Mercedes and it recommended using gasoline in the diesel in cold temps. Don't remember what the ratio was though.

• hamman and farmer john have said thanks

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:16 AM

Could be, that the kerosene is priced stupid high like that because

of transporting dangerous goods charges. I know that if I order in

Marine stove alcohol, it'll sit on the shelf, priced about 3 times higher than

it should be just because of courier charges.

Buying in bulk out of a pump is the way to go.

Cat, thanks for the diesel info.

• hamman, Talntedmrgreen and farmer john have said thanks

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:26 AM

I add 8-16 ounces of isopropyl alcohol to 5 gallons of diesel for use in heaters, no smell and burns clean, I don't know why you couldn't do the same with fuel, cheaper than adding kero

• hamman, Talntedmrgreen and farmer john have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:54 AM

The other consideration is that you should keep the fuel tank close to full. We are having 0 F degree weather here and my 1973 Ford 2000 diesel was very hard to start yesterday. When I finished plowing, I covered the hood with an old blanket. put a magnetic heater to the oil pan, and then covered it entirely with a tarp. This makes starting it much easier today.  

I picked, up at a fleamarket, an old Sears engine heater from the 1930s. It is like the old road construction warning lights from 50 years ago. Fill it with kero, light it, put the cover on it, and put it under the engine you want to keep warm. May be one of these can help you.

Last resort, cover the fuel tank with a blanket and put a 100w light under it. Chances are your fuel tank screen is restricting flow. Warm it and flow will increase. Be very carefull of the cold. Good Luck, Rick

#8 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 10:40 AM

Kero around my area that I have been buying has been around 440 a gallon. But at least there's kero available. Try to keep the fuel source warm. I have seeen thos magnatic heaters before not sure how well they work. Never used one

#9 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:20 AM

i have 2 of those magnetic heaters and they really do work good but i have no access to stick it on the tank , i also think its a poly tank so it would be an issue thanks john

• OkieGt said thank you

#10 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:37 AM

i have 2 of those magnetic heaters and they really do work good but i have no access to stick it on the tank , i also think its a poly tank so it would be an issue thanks john

OH COME ON NOW! a guy from Canada that doesn't know the motto of Red Green "The Handyman's Secret Weapon, Duct Tape", of course the trick is how to afix the heater without melting the tape, now that's called ingenuity. It can be done, at least with my block heater. lol 

• boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks

#11 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 12:25 PM

My magnetic heater works so well that I'd be worried that it might damage a poly tank. Good Luck, Rick

• farmer john said thank you

#12 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:38 PM

I'd be real leery about placing a magnetic heater on anything plastic. Those things get very hot. 

• boyscout862, farmer john and OkieGt have said thanks

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:26 PM

I'd be real leery about placing a magnetic heater on anything plastic. Those things get very hot. 

actually radiant heat directed toward it would be safer, even though it is more of a composite, than plain plastic

• farmer john said thank you

#14 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 06:30 PM

I have two pre-ULSD diesels, and I was concerned about lubrication.

I went searching for an additive to help and final settled on Opti-Lube XPD.  It had great test results for lubrication.

It also improves the Cetane rating by 3 points, and allows fuel  to flow down to -20F.

They do have a Winter Blend that is good to -50F, but I figure that -20F is more than enough for me, as if it's that cold, I'm not going to be out driving a tractor anyway  :D :D :D

• boyscout862, farmer john and OkieGt have said thanks

#15 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 07:44 PM

I have two pre-ULSD diesels, and I was concerned about lubrication.

I went searching for an additive to help and final settled on Opti-Lube XPD.  It had great test results for lubrication.

It also improves the Cetane rating by 3 points, and allows fuel  to flow down to -20F.

They do have a Winter Blend that is good to -50F, but I figure that -20F is more than enough for me, as if it's that cold, I'm not going to be out driving a tractor anyway  :D :D :D

Thanks, I've been looking for something for my 1982 Mercedes 240D

Attached Thumbnails

• MB240a.JPG

• Cvans, boyscout862 and farmer john have said thanks