grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 07:46 PM

With the current snow storm moving up the east coast I was hoping some of the members would post their snowfall total. I was looking at the member map and see that we have a number of folks that will be affected by this storm.

#2 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 08:15 PM

I'll Post. I'm pretty happy I get to move some snow. My biggest problem is going to figure out which piece of equipment I pull out. I have a plow on the Ford LGT 125. A snowblower on the Jacobsen Chief 1000. Then I have the 8 HP Toro Snowblower the wife bought me a few years back and the old walk behind Simplicity has the blower on her. And I just fixed the old generator that I retired a couple years ago. Removed the buildup of carbon and she never ran so good. But I went out and bought a new generator, so if one of the kids looses power I have an extra. This afternoon I went and helped my son put chains on his tractor. Even 8000 pounds of tractor does not want to go uphill on ice without chains so I think he is all set now. Let it snow...

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 08:33 PM

That is the snow that moved through here in Ky Friday night & Christmas. We got a bit over 3" (Awoke to 2 7/8" Christmas morning), and still flurries today. They said it was going to do just what it is now. Watch out Boston!

#4 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 08:39 PM

That is the snow that moved through here in Ky Friday night & Christmas. We got a bit over 3" (Awoke to 2 7/8" Christmas morning), and still flurries today. They said it was going to do just what it is now. Watch out Boston!

The bad part for us is that you got to enjoy some snowfall and then the storm moved up the coast but too far east for us to get enough snow to play with the tractors in our area. I know the folks along the coast will have more than they want.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 08:47 PM

The bad part is I've had no time to play in the snow with my GT's. Busy as a bee on the farm. Maybe tomorrow.

#6 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 08:59 PM

I am working a 24 hour shift right now and it has been snowing for a little over 2 hours. We may have 2 inches but it is still snowing. I will post snowfall amounts tomorrow. I will be playing with at least 2 of my GT's tomorrow. One has a snow blade and the other has a snow blower. I can't wait.

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted December 27, 2010 - 08:54 AM

With the heavy nor'easter winds, it's very hard to tell. Here in NE Connecticut, I would say as of this morning we have between 10" to 12". In some areas it is drifted close to 3 feet, some places are almost bare ground. For example, the roof of the house does not have any snow at all.

I type this sitting in my home office warming up after plowing out and dreading leaving to start my work day. As an auto appraiser, these days really stink. Anything I have to inspect today will need to be cleaned off of snow and then I can try to photo damages and do a detailed inspection. Good grief!

#8 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 27, 2010 - 12:01 PM

At 5:30 when I made the first scoop with the shovel I had 9+ inches. By the time I headed to work for the 9-6 shift we had 3 more inches in Keene, NH. The blower worked great as it is not a wet snow, but the wind is pushing it around a lot and drifting is an issue. Glad the wife has studded snows all the way around and the truck has 4WD as those tires need replacing. Lots of clean up to do when I get home tonight. First big snow of the year here in SW NH. Question for you weather experts: why is it that no matter what direction you run the blower and what direction you point the blower chute the wind is always blowing the snow into your face?:confuse:
Peter

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 27, 2010 - 12:11 PM

Question for you weather experts: why is it that no matter what direction you run the blower and what direction you point the blower chute the wind is always blowing the snow into your face?:confuse:
Peter

That would be our friend Mr. Murphy :D

#10 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 27, 2010 - 12:11 PM

Same as why is it when you have all of your snow removal stuff ready and are anxious for snow it won't but when you don't want it, then we get a blizzard.

#11 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted December 27, 2010 - 12:51 PM

(Question for you weather experts: why is it that no matter what direction you run the blower and what direction you point the blower chute the wind is always blowing the snow into your face?:confuse:
Peter

When I'm using my blower and it's windy I wear my full face motorcycle helmet with the visor down. It works great but the people in the cars that pass by must be wondering how fast my tractor is.

#12 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 27, 2010 - 01:52 PM

I've used my ski goggles too, but they have DARK lenses for bright sunny days, that make things a bit dim at 5:30 am or late:30 at night when I seem to get to do MY drive, so I just squint and wipe my glasses every once in a while.
Curse Mr Murphy once in a while too....
almost 2pm here and the sun is starting to show, still a lot of wind and drifting.
P.

#13 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted December 27, 2010 - 02:41 PM

Question for you weather experts: why is it that no matter what direction you run the blower and what direction you point the blower chute the wind is always blowing the snow into your face?:confuse:
Peter

It sure doesn't seem to bother me.Turning the chute either direction and sitting in the warm cab has never given me that problem.LOL Larry

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 27, 2010 - 06:58 PM

It sure doesn't seem to bother me.Turning the chute either direction and sitting in the warm cab has never given me that problem.LOL Larry

Larry, LOL, that is like rubbing salt in the wound haha.

#15 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 27, 2010 - 06:59 PM

Looks like Southern New Hampshire got just shy of a foot of snow. The wind was howling and is still howling as I write this. Had bare ground in spots and 4 foot drifts in others. The Jacobsen, with snow blower, did a great job of moving snow. Used that for the driveway and the Toro to make paths for the dogs in the back yard. I did loose power for about an hour, which is a good thing cause it helped use up some fuel that has been in the tank a while. All in all, much better than the weather forecasters were predicting. The roads were to bare pavement by this afternoon.