Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 10:58 PM

Well, a guy finally came through with enough money, and should be picking up my JD420 tomorrow--darn it!!

Anyway, I've been looking for a compact of sub-compact tractor for awhile.  I'm mainly interested in the better fuel economy of a diesel, the 4wd capability for winter work, and parts support, etc.  I'm not averse to a grey market machine as long as it corresponds fairly closely to a US Market model so I can get parts (I know Kubota and Yanmar dealers won't sell parts for a grey market machine).

I've found a couple machines on the local want ads here.

One is a Kubota B6100 with a loader, scraper, post hole digger and cab.  The owner says it didn't come with a generator, and that there is an onboard charger to keep the battery up.

Doesn't this machine have a generator?  Can one be retrofitted fairly easily?  The machine seems to be in pretty good shape, has about 2,400 hrs, and he's asking $6,600.

This is about the size machine I want, and the cab is an extra, but it seems like the price is a little high... I would say somewhere in the $4,500 to $5,000 range, but I'm not real familiar with the tractor. I also think I would want more than 14 hp--though I plan to use it primarily for plowing, and the front end loader.

Kubota B6100 & Cab FRT.jpg Kubota B6100 & Cab RH RR.jpg Kubota B6100 & Cab RR.jpg

Then there's a Kubota B2100--actually two of them though I think they're the same machine, just listed by different family members.

Notice the machine with the man and child-- it's from one ad, while the other pics are from another ad--location is also about 70 miles apart.

This series has some nice features, like power steering and optional hydrostatic transmission, though I don't know which transmission this particular machine has.

KUBOTA B2100 2 RH FRT.jpg

The first ad is asking $3,000 including a scraper and sprayer, the second $3,900... both include a scraper--which has guage wheels on both machines, and the suitcase weights and again appears to be identical.  I called on the one for $3,900--the guy said he is selling it for his son, and couldn't tell me the hours because the meter doesn't work... also didn't know the year.

KUBOTA B2100 LH FRT.jpg KUBOTA B2100 LH.jpg KUBOTA B2100 RR.jpg

Then there's this Mitsubishi MT1601D with a tiller--I'm positive it's a grey market machine.  It has 724 hours, and the guy is asking $4,600... which I think is way high because there's an importer in Oregon that brings these in, puts a loader on them, then sells them with a tiller for for the same or less.  Another guy in Idaho buys from the importer, then paints them, which is where I think this one came from.

I've also heard that the Mitsubishis are not as dependable as a Yanmar or Kubota, and I'm really uncertain as to parts availability for this one...

MITSUBISHI 1601D RH FRT.jpg MITSUBISHI 1601D LH FRT.jpg MITSUBISHI 1601D L RR & TILLER.jpg MITSUBISHI 1601D ENGINE 2.jpg MITSUBISHI 1601D ENGINE 1.jpg

So, please chime in with your experience, opinions, etc. as to fair selling prices, dependability, parts sources, etc.

Thanks,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, January 03, 2014 - 11:07 PM.

#2 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 12:34 AM

i don't know much of anything on these but if you had room i would look at an n series for tractor 

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 01:19 AM

i don't know much of anything on these but if you had room i would look at an n series for tractor 

You talking like a Ford 8N?  I don't want a 2wd Gas tractor, and, as you know, I don't have a lot of room at the homestead. If you're referring to another machine, give me some more info.

Regards,

Smitty

#4 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 01:23 AM

no thats what i was thinking of i know you dont have a lot of room, but most of the ones i have seen have been decent on fuel. there is a guy not far from here that has a newer SCUT but likes his 9n better for snow plowing

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 07:26 AM

I'd go for the 2100. The asking price is out of line for that 6100. They are a strong tractor but at 14hp it is a lot more limited in the PTO work it can do versus something in the 20+hp range. Another brand to consider in a newer tractor is Kioti. They make some nice small tractors. They are often available used at a  reasonable price. Kioti is owned by the same company as Bobcat and has a decent dealer network. 

The SCUTs are a lot more tractor than most GT's, having all the most needed features like PTO's and 3 point hitches included in the basic tractor. 

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 07:32 AM

The SCUTs are a lot more tractor than most GT's, having all the most needed features like PTO's and 3 point hitches included in the basic tractor. 

That is the line I draw to differentiate the SGT's from the SCUTs. Whether it came with a rear pto and 3 point hitch standard.

Other options:

http://minneapolis.c...4269742827.html

00q0q_4lRoG5A8u0M_600x450.jpg

This one is priced too high, but I have seen others priced in your range. There is a Case branded equivalent, the DX series. 18, 21, 22, 24, and 25 hp models were available.

http://minneapolis.c...4234434067.html

00c0c_17puwENBSPA_600x450.jpg

The rarely seen Honda SCUT:

http://minneapolis.c...4225896090.html

00R0R_1Xg0XCxUK6P_600x450.jpg

#7 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:56 AM

Unless you got a super super deal on the Mits I would pass on it as it has the least parts support, I would take a gray Yanny anyday as parts are plentiful, they have a decent following and are a good machine, just watch who they came from as there were many that were Asian "rebuilds" not really rebuilt just 7 tractors with parts robbed to make one tractor.  Kubota,, if your in the US dont buy a gray, well dont tell the dealer the actual model if you go for parts, they generally wont sell them to you once they know its gray.  Watch the smaller older machines many of them didnt have a standard rotation pto, check to be sure or you will have something that wont run generic attachments, that B6100 Kubota might have the wrong rotation so be sure before plunkin down the coin. 

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:56 AM

I have no valid opinions on the tractors, but the Kubota, one of them sounds like a repost scam. The $diff and the fact that they know nothing about it other than the brand makes me wonder a little.

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:24 AM

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions... in my past research on SCUTs, I've found that the Kubotas have the largest dealer network for domestic models, while the Yanmars have best support for grey market machines, but you have to be careful of which model you get.

As for the B2100, it is the same tractor. I called the ad with the grandfather and kid--they were selling it with a 25' sprayer and scraper for $3k, and had just sold it-- I then called the other add-they confirmed it was the same tractor--but, they're selling it now without the sprayer for $3,900.

Sounds like someone wanted a sprayer AND a huge profit.

Smitty

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Depending on condition The Ford 1120 may not be out of line. It is 14 hp and 4 wheel drive and quite a bit newer than m Ford 1500.
They were built from 1987-1993. And that is a nice finish mower. It was the size I was looking for when i found the 1500.
THOSE ARE REAL HORSES NOT PONYS.

The Kubota 6100 should have a generator or alternator on it. I think it is a step newer than the 5100 that Two-Step has,
Shame someone painted it blue, they are one nice tractor. As for the PTO rotation I am sure the only Kubota with counter rotating PTO is the 6000. I was looking at two Kubota 6200s when I ran across the Ford.

I have no real opinion on the Mitsubishi, though you will want to check PTO rotation. They are counter cloockwise but on the newer ones they have a reverser built so they are clockwise.

Smitty do not get in too big a hurry and you will find just what you want.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 04, 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Can not seem to edit my post on the Ipad. There are new postings on craiglist everyday. The night before I bought the Ford I looked at a Yanmar around 14-15 hp with 4wd. I passed on it because the right front wheel had a wobble and I was not sure what it would take to fix it. I later learned they have a wedge bolt in the steering arm that wears out and is cheap and easy to fix.
The Ford was posted the next morning and I bought it.
Then had to call the two guys who had the Kubota B6200s and tell them I was no longer interested in seeing their machines.
I was also going to look at a Mitsubishi. Member David Brown had a Satoh I think he was very pleased with.
And it was Misubishi powered. When Satoh went out of business Mitsubishi bought them out.

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 09:36 PM

Depending on condition The Ford 1120 may not be out of line. It is 14 hp and 4 wheel drive and quite a bit newer than m Ford 1500.
They were built from 1987-1993. And that is a nice finish mower. It was the size I was looking for when i found the 1500.
THOSE ARE REAL HORSES NOT PONYS.

The Kubota 6100 should have a generator or alternator on it. I think it is a step newer than the 5100 that Two-Step has,
Shame someone painted it blue, they are one nice tractor. As for the PTO rotation I am sure the only Kubota with counter rotating PTO is the 6000. I was looking at two Kubota 6200s when I ran across the Ford.

I have no real opinion on the Mitsubishi, though you will want to check PTO rotation. They are counter cloockwise but on the newer ones they have a reverser built so they are clockwise.

Smitty do not get in too big a hurry and you will find just what you want.

Thanks JD--especially the last line... sometimes I'm like a kid in the candy store-- I want at least one of everything and two or more of many of 'em.

Smitty

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 10:21 PM

Thanks JD--especially the last line... sometimes I'm like a kid in the candy store-- I want at least one of everything and two or more of many of 'em.

Smitty

yeah I am the same way. All too often the week after I lay my money down a much better deal come up.
I researched COMPACTS for two years before I bought my tractor.
Two great resources you should spend some iTime looking at are Tractor Data .com for specs.
And Tractor House to see what the machines are selling for around the country.
That will give you a better idea what your looking at and what they are worth.

Sommeone mentioned an 8N Ford they are a nice tractor for the 40s and fiftys. But they burn almost 3 gallons per hour.
I know from running my 20 hp diesel for 200 hrs it will average less than a gallon per hour..
And it is rated to run the same implements an 8N.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 05, 2014 - 10:29 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#14 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 10:36 PM

I was also going to look at a Mitsubishi. Member David Brown had a Satoh I think he was very pleased with.
And it was Misubishi powered. When Satoh went out of business Mitsubishi bought them out.

Yes, I've owned the smallest model since new in 1977.  As for dependable, I would trust that little tractor over anything else out there.  It's a beast and it absolutely will not let me down.  The smallest model (S370 or Beaver, the one in my avitar) was the only model where the PTO spun counter clockwise.  It's my understanding that all others were normal.  You can't beat them on fuel consumption either.  I will concede on the parts availablilty though.  They aren't hard to get parts for if you know where to go.  You just need a big wallet.

Edited by David Brown, January 05, 2014 - 10:36 PM.

• Alc, JD DANNELS and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 11:14 PM

Well, the fellow with the Kubota B6100 dropped the price to $4500, so I thought I'd go take a look. 

It is a SMALL tractor, especially when trying to wedge a large (and overweight) frame into a cab. 

I checked, and it has a dynamo, but it must not be working, so the PO to the seller (a small town in Eastern Utah) must have installed the battery hook up with Anderson connectors rather than try to tear out the dynamo--which is right behind the fan in the normal position for the water pump.

After we moved the seat back as far as it wouild go, it was easier to drive.  I have to say I was impressed, especially with the turn radus... it almost seemed it could turn in it's own length. This has become a bigger priority to me since I recently had to operate my Bolens for an extended time in the back yard--maneuvering around the peach tree, and other objects there.

It was noisy in the cab, even with sound deadening foam. 

It has a surprising amount of power, especially when put in 1st or 2nd gear. 

The engine seemed to run well, but there was kind of a sharp "pop" when I started out a couple times... it might have been the tires freezing to the ice/snow we have right now, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, hear is my take:

Pluses:  Very maneuverable, easy on fuel, very compact--easily gets into tight places. This particular model came with a loader, hard cab, rear scraper, and post hole digger.

Minuses:  SMALL, seems top heavy, not enough power for what I need...

I talked with the wife, and we decided to pass.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, February 10, 2014 - 12:33 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kubota b2100, kubota b6100, kubota b7100