Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Sunstrand Transmission - Testing

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 TGaffney OFFLINE  

TGaffney
  • Member No: 10752
  • 11 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:31 PM

Update on the Meteor.  I got the engine back in the frame of the tractor and tightened up the leaky compression fittings at the transmission.  I plowed snow this week and the tractor worked great - but the snow was only about 8" and really fulffy - so not a huge chore.  Still - the tractor had no problem moving big piles of snow - so far so good. 

Canawler - any pictures you could post of the tensioner/idler pulley set up would be a big help.  I'd like to have a tensioner that I can release - would make cold weather starting a lot easier (I think).

#17 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,362 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 02:32 PM

These pictures are some I took a few months ago.  If you need better angles let me know.  The original setup on mine and what is shown in the parts books used the arm and pulley shown and then had the tension spring attached between the hole in the end of the arm (just barely visible in the first picture) and a hole in the crossmember below.  My spring was all jacked up and was obviously not original so when placing an order with Dandy Sales I had him send me the correct spring.  What he sent is the one in the second picture.  It's a different spring setup that must have been a running change during production and I like it better actually.  Unfortunately, it's not something that would be easy to release for starting.  If the transmission is in neutral when starting, it shouldn't be much of a load on the engine.  I haven't had any issues starting mine.  Heck, mine wasn't running when I bought it and that's how I checked the hydro.  Moved the lever off neutral and it drove forward by cranking the starter.  The starter had no trouble moving the tractor.

The second picture is looking down on the tensioner and you can see the spring wrapped around it.  I didn't get a chance to rebuild the pto clutch yet so I took it off.

2013-2-10 (7).JPG

2014-10-04 (7).jpg

Edited by Canawler, January 25, 2014 - 02:35 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#18 TGaffney OFFLINE  

TGaffney
  • Member No: 10752
  • 11 Thanks
  • 42 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 11:36 PM

Thanks Canawaler - your pictures definitely give me an idea as to what I am missing.

I was expecitng the tensioner pulley to be on the underside of the belt pushing it up - as my belt now barely clears the transmisison side L brackets that is between the engine and frame - I'll have to post a picture of what I am describing.

I see your point about not being able to release the spring.  I have a 30 hp Kubota tractor - and even though it is in neutral I have an easier time starting it in cold weather with the cluthc depressed - which I am guessing puts less load on the engine - even though it is in neutral.  If that makes sense!

#19 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,362 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:13 AM

I was expecitng the tensioner pulley to be on the underside of the belt pushing it up - as my belt now barely clears the transmisison side L brackets that is between the engine and frame - I'll have to post a picture of what I am describing.

My problem with this setup is that the tensioner pulley will hit the hydrostatic pulley when the engine rocks around on the rubber mounts. The mounts are so soft I think they allow way too much movement of the engine. I might get a new set just to see how they are but the ones on my tractor looked all but brand new. A nice set of polyurethane mounts would be perfect.

Edited by Canawler, January 30, 2014 - 03:50 PM.