Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New (To Me) Welder

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:08 PM

A while back a buddy and I had been talking about welding (he welds a lot in his job) and he encouraged me to start learning how to weld.  Right after that I was over at his place and he fired up his welder and showed me how to lay a bead.  Since then I have been practising with a welder I had picked up at a yard sale.

DSCF0746.JPG    DSCF0747.JPG

I had to repair the trigger and also the wire feed but it works and I have done a few things with it.  One thing was I made a handle for my welding cart and some extra brackets.  Well he brought some equipment over the other day for me to repair and asked me how was coming along and so I showed him the welding cart and some other things I had done.  He mentioned to me he had a Lincoln 100 sitting on a shelf in his shop he not longer used.  His wife cuts my hair so I went over to get a hair cut and he had the welder sitting out for me.  It is in a lot better shape then my old one and it also give me better control over the arc. I do need to find a washer for the spoil so the nut doesn't try to tighten when the wire spoil turns. 

DSCF0744.JPG   DSCF0745.JPG

It really made me feel good that he would go out of his way to do this.  It's not a gas rig but at this point and time it will work quite well for what I'm doing and as you can tell in the pic's it is a step up.  I'm quite excited about it.

• Alc, IamSherwood, KennyP and 7 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:32 PM

Nice, Bill! I am not fond of flux core welding due to the BB's, but they do get the job done. That was a good gesture on his part.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:41 PM

That was very nice of him. What's the next project?

Do I see a build thread in the near future?

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:48 PM

Very nice unit.

Can gas be added to the Lincoln?

I do better with the gas over the flux core wire.

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:50 PM

No build thread.  I have a Yamaha tractor that needs a new crankshaft oil seal,  a generator that isn't putting out 110, a cub zero turn that needs to have the left transmission rebuilt and a Chinese ATV that needs a new carb and brakes. Plus sometime this week I have a VTX coming in for a rear tire replacement. 

All this came in since the first,  I'm usually just working on my own stuff this time of year.  Hope this is an indication of what this year may be.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Very nice unit.

Can gas be added to the Lincoln?

I do better with the gas over the flux core wire.

Yes there is a conversion kit according to the owners manual.  I have a full bottle of Argon gas that my Son-in-Law got me a while back.  I would like to switch over to gas but I'll have to wait till the $$$ are available.

• KennyP said thank you

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:59 PM

Good to hear you're busy Bill.

I've been struggling with a cheap Canadian Tire wire feed

unit for a few years now. The wire feed speed control is a joke.

I could poke your eye out from 10 ft away, before you knew what was coming.

I plan to get a Lincoln w/gas. Probably the 180. It's my Christmas present.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 07:06 PM

That lincoln will serve you well! Does it have the fitting on the back for the gas line? All you should have to do to convert it is change out the wire, hook up the cylinder, and swap the polarity.

Good luck with your welding and make sure to post some pictures!

I almost forgot, until you get familiar with the welder, the chart on the inside cover will be your best friend!

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Ryan, yes it does have the fitting on the back and I checked to see what a conversion kit would cost, $149 at Home Depot.  When I'm ready I look around for a better deal though. 

I'm looking forward to doing some welding with it.  When I used the old welder I would be going along and the wire would quite feeding then start again.  I don't know if it is something I'm doing or if the welder was causing it.  This should tell me.

The old welder doesn't have a chart to go by so I was doing test welds to get my feed down to what I thought I should have.  Having a chart will be nice to have.

#10 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 11:06 PM

Bill, if that spool retainer nut isn't nylok, it should be. Congrats on the Lincoln, you'll love it!!
Mike

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 11:31 PM

On the inside of the welder the driver rollers have a tension setting. If there is not enough pressure on the wire from the drive rollers, it will cause it to slip and stop feeding. Another thing, make sure your lead is as straight as you can get it. If it is in a bunch of loops it is harder for the drive system to push the wire through.

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 11:40 PM

Bill, That's a great little welder. You need to find a local welding shop and they will help you get the regulator and hose to change over to submerged arc welding and you will love welding with gas. You might also check in a few pawn shops to find a used regulator and hose cheaper. Do yourself a favor and get a good regulator that has both a flow gauge and a pressure gauge.

One that looks like this will work well for you.

gas regulator1.jpg

#13 braxx OFFLINE  

braxx

• Member No: 7898
  • 20 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 11:52 PM

While I agree with most that having it set up for gas is optimal. But Running flux wire does have some advantages. I have a small rig just like yours to run only flux core. It is very mobile, easily powered by my portable generator, I can weld outside in a breeze without fear of my welding gas being blown away from the arc area. Also volt to volt and amp to amp , flux core can weld hotter and give you that little extra penetration that the little machines struggle with. Also it is easier to weld material that isn't perfectly preped with flux core than it is with gas shielded wire. Have fun and practice, practice, practice. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Edited by braxx, January 03, 2014 - 11:56 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse and HDWildBill have said thanks

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 12:01 AM

While I agree with most that having it set up for gas is optimal. But Running flux wire does have some advantages. I have a small rig just like yours to run only flux core. It is very mobile, easily powered by my portable generator, I can weld outside in a breeze without fear of my welding gas being blown away from the arc area. Also volt to volt and amp to amp , flux core can weld hotter and give you that little extra penetration that the little machines struggle with. Also it is easier to weld material that isn't perfectly preped with flux core than it is with gas shielded wire. Have fun and practice, practice, practice. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I agree with all you said, I just hate cleaning up after welding with flux core. :(

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#15 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 12:35 AM

I've been welding with that exact same welder for quite a few years now. After welding for a living with many types of welders I just love the flux core. Works good on dirty and painted metal and in the wind. After burning up many tins of 6010 and 6011 the spatter doesn't really bother me and you can throw it in the back of the pickup and weld anywhere there is a 20 amp 110 volt circuit available. 

For the smoothest welds keep your wire speed turned up. Makes a big difference in how the welds will look. I'm an old stick welder and now use the flux core for about 80% of my home projects. For heavier materials I will use the little Lincoln to tack the parts together and use the stick welder for the finish welds. 

Enjoy your new welder!

• Texas Deere and Horse and HDWildBill have said thanks