• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 02:44 PM

My old printer bit the dust some time back. So I bought a new one to replace it. This is an HP printer, copier, & scanner as the other one was. But this one only cost $63 & change. The neat thing it does is scan a multiple page (Manual) in one file as a PDF. No more using Open Office to build & convert. That is just awesome! Took about 20~ minutes to do a 46 page manual. This is an HP Desktop 2542 printer. Only has 2 ink cartridges, one black, one color. The pair of those is around $35. Much cheaper than the old unit.

Thought I would share this in case someone was looking to replace their printer anytime soon.

• olcowhand, daytime dave, ducky and 4 others have said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,446 Thanks
  • 3,995 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 02:59 PM

KennyP - and 'P' stands for (new) printer :bigrofl:

• KennyP, JDBrian, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 04:17 PM

I forgot to mention this thing is wireless also!

• daytime dave said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 04:20 PM

I forgot to mention this thing is wireless also!

My Lexmark is wireless, and I like that feature.  I think mine can do the pdf like yours, but not tried it yet.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 04:48 PM

That's a nice feature with the PDFs Kenny. Our printer is a big HP unit from at least 5 years ago, probably longer. My wife uses it a lot for her craft business and it just keeps on going with out any problems. Ink is expensive but Costco does refills on the cartridges for cheap so that helps a bit. Seems like everything is going wireless these days. Funny how we went from radio to wired communications and now we are back to wireless again. 

• KennyP, HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:06 PM

That's a nice feature with the PDFs Kenny. Our printer is a big HP unit from at least 5 years ago, probably longer. My wife uses it a lot for her craft business and it just keeps on going with out any problems. Ink is expensive but Costco does refills on the cartridges for cheap so that helps a bit. Seems like everything is going wireless these days. Funny how we went from radio to wired communications and now we are back to wireless again. 

Brian, the one this replaced was a HP 5140. I liked it, but ink was a challenge, 6 cartridges. & one was always going empty. The printer head finally failed on it. It probably won't print pics as well, but I don't do that much anymore. The 46 page manual I did with it would have taken over an hour before (20 minutes now). Going straight to a PDF was a great feature.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:42 PM

Congratulations Kenny.  I replaced my printer a few months ago with a wireless.  One less wire to guess where it goes the way I see it.  

• KennyP said thank you

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:56 PM

Kenny that is a really nice printer, you should enjoy it for a long time.  Having it wireless is nice because you don't have to have a computer attached to it in order to share it across a network.  It also means that each computer that connects to it can do the same thing if the software is installed with it. 

I like HP because they also do a pretty good job supporting Linux as well. :thumbs:

• KennyP said thank you

#9 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:14 PM

I hope you have better luck than I did with my last HP printer. It was a nearly top of the line, all in one setup that could do double sided printing as well as multiple scanning/copy arrangements. Inside of 1 year the print head clogged up and HP said "Too bad, that's a wear item. We can sell you a new one for $200" I was able to clean it and get it to work but after a few more months I had to clean it every time I used, even if it was every day. Now, it doesn't work at all and it's less than 2 years old but I refuse to spend that much money to fix a printer that's obsolete...especially when I could replace the whole machine for less.
  • KennyP said thank you

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,478 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 07:59 PM

I have HP about same. Mine takes several small cartridges, one black is bigger. They don't last long. They have X series that says to last longer, but are twice the price. If I replace all at once is $65 or more.  Fella in store was looking at cartridges and said he could go over and buy a New printer ready to go and better for about same price!!  I had a mid price canon that I like better, almost the same size cartridges, about same prices. It quit one day and said to call serviceman. Only had it about 6 months. I liked it better and easier to use than the HP.  Maybe non of them are good long lasting anymore?  Lots of cartrides in stores, not sure why industry can't come up with common ones, like buying an oil filter for a car say.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 08:01 PM

Does it do 3D? :D

• KennyP said thank you

#12 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 129 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 11:13 PM

I picked up a used HP color laser printer recently at an auction for $45.  I believe it was gov surplus.  I love this thing. I print all the color I want & it does a great job, even with pics.  I know when it comes time to replace the toner cartridges it will be pricey but I doubt I'll use them up.  The diagnostics indicate I have several thousand prints left.  Those ink jet printers use up half the ink just in maintenance.

Skip

• KennyP and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,502 Thanks
  • 39,730 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:44 AM

Does it do 3D? :D

If it does, I haven't found out how as yet!

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,478 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:46 AM

I'm stunned by those 3D printers and the idea of them.  I've seen things made from them.  Not really a printer at all, just a machine that can make plastic models of things. I'm amazed.  Gettin' closer to the "replicators" that Star Trek has on thier shows.

• KennyP said thank you

#15 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,318 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 12:30 PM

Nice grab on the Laser printer skip!  Those things are well over $1K new for a good one!!  The quality is fantastic and I've had on on my wish list for quite a while..  One day I'll have to grab one and leave the ink jet in the dust..  I'm still using an old HP 832 and it's been fine for what I need..  I bought a B-209 primarily for the scanning function and am totally dissatisfied with the printing side of that machine!!  I's a ink-hog and the quality sucks..  Where did you find that thing so I can troll around and find one too??