#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 02:37 PM

to start today. I need to get the Homelite into the front heated garage to get some measurements on a part for a forum member. Well it was -19* here this morning and "Bob" just doesn't want to start. It is quite a ways from the back garage to the front to push it, so I will have to wait for some help to get it in where it is warm. Battery is good and strong and turns it over slow. Has plenty of gas and and spark. Just to darn cold. Was supposed to get up to 24* toady but it has only gotten to 16*. Will have to wait for the son to get home from work to pull it to the front garage with "Ed" the Jacobsen. Hope it is warmer where you are. Roger.

• KennyP, Talntedmrgreen, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,445 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hi Roger, please listen - and  it's true, what I'll tell you - I went to the trash can this evening, wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Next tuesday we'll have + 14° C (~ 56° F).

Maybe winter will start in february...

Edited by jd.rasentrac, January 03, 2014 - 02:55 PM.

• hamman, KennyP and JDBrian have said thanks

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 03:00 PM

Ignore jd.rasentrac!  It is so cold, the aquifer that feeds my well froze.  First time in the 15 years that I've been here.

• hamman, KennyP, motobreeder and 1 other said thanks

#4 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 03:07 PM

Roger, my 16 is my problem child too. It is most affected by the cold and needs some cranking. I bet I would have to hook it to the jump box for some extra boost if I wanted to start it this morning (-11). My diesel starts easier in the cold! My CH25 in the Legacy is a bear too and required fiddling qith the choke till it warms. All the smaller Briggs start super easy.
  • hamman said thank you

#5 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 03:18 PM

Too cold to get anything running here today(-5). If the Cub Cadet 123 with the snowblower had a better battery it probably would have started.

• hamman said thank you

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 03:32 PM

Jd, got some extra room over there until winter comes, wife says she can be packed and on a plane in a couple of hours. Just her not me.  LOL. I haven't had a problem starting it before in the cold. I am really ashamed of myself for not having it itn the warm garge before this. No reason really just been tired I guess. Of all my GTs that is the one I like the best because of our history. I will rectify that later today and by the time I go to bed it will be in where it will stay warm the rest of the winter. I can remember it being cold but not usually for this long. I have taken all the batteries out of all but Bob and Ed to save them from freezing. I have them in the warm garage and on battery tenders. Just need to get off this thing and cler aspace in the garage. Hope you all are warm and safe. Roger. 

• KennyP, Talntedmrgreen, jd.rasentrac and 1 other said thanks

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 04:37 PM

Has anyone dried a magnetic block heater? That's what I use, and a 100w drop light right in front of the battery, starts right up every time. BTW Roger, I made a mistake in drilling the center hole in the two pieces that the thick bar hooks to, I drilled it in the center. I need to take it out and redrill, plus I made patterns to make sure the other pieces were according to plans, 35 and windy here today, supposed to get colder this weekend, I don't care, it has to be below 20 before I need a coat. I layer, undershirt, long sleeve T shirt. collared shirt, sweater, and I'm good, as long as I keep my middle warm the rest stays pretty warm as well

• hamman and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#8 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:07 PM

I was wondering how it wouldn't work. I never got mine welded up but I still have the pieces. Glad you found the problem. Should make it easier to fix. I thought of the bloch heater but never tried it. I keep battery tenders on all my batteries even in the warm garage. I had tried to get it to run so much one of the wires on the Starter / gen was smoking. We are going to pull it to the front garage this evening. Thanks. Post a picture of your lift link if you get a chance. Roger.

Here is a picture of the parts for the lift link I was building. I ran out of gas for my wire welder or I would of had it done by now.

lift link 015.JPG

• Alc and OkieGt have said thanks

#9 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 08:43 PM

I don't care, it has to be below 20 before I need a coat. I layer, undershirt, long sleeve T shirt. collared shirt, sweater, and I'm good, as long as I keep my middle warm the rest stays pretty warm as well

I have my undershirt, collared shirt and heavy quilted button up flannel collared shirt for most outdoor work. I tend to get hot....hate sweating constantly in summer and 20-30 degrees is great working weather. 10-20 Im fine on the tractor long as the wind is down and I add the Carhartt i sulated vest for that and colder. Like last nite when it was below zero, I add a sweater over my first collared shirt. Snug as a bug in a rug.

......and of course, the Craftsman mech gloves! =]
  • hamman and OkieGt have said thanks

#10 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 08:52 PM

The pivot/slide piece for the rod is from a CASE mule drive, the part the adjustment rod screws in, I drilled it out to 1/2 and it made a smooth bushing, then I made the hole with a rat tail file to 7/8", cause I only had a 1/2" drill bit. I think my center hole is centered and should have been higher, even yet I think the center bar measurement is wrong

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF3471.JPG
  • DSCF3472.JPG
  • DSCF3473.JPG
  • DSCF3474.JPG

• hamman said thank you

#11 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 09:18 PM

I see what you are saying on it. I will have the factory one out tomorrow mid morning. I will make some measurements and take some more pics and get them posted. That looks really good. Better than I was making. My welding skills are not as good as yours. More tomorrow. Roger.

• OkieGt said thank you

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 09:26 PM

I see what you are saying on it. I will have the factory one out tomorrow mid morning. I will make some measurements and take some more pics and get them posted. That looks really good. Better than I was making. My welding skills are not as good as yours. More tomorrow. Roger.

It looks like your center (thicker) bar is longer than mine, What size rod are you using? I'm using 1/2" that's why I used the 7/8" bushing

• hamman said thank you

#13 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 10:36 PM

I just went to look for it and I have packed it up and put it away. Now you have me curious???? I am going to have to get it out and compare it with the factory link tomorrow. The rod was a 1/2" bar that I had started to make by cutting threads on one end. I then found the donor tractor and put the link away. I will get it out tomorrow. Roger.

• OkieGt said thank you

#14 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 11:26 PM

I just went to look for it and I have packed it up and put it away. Now you have me curious???? I am going to have to get it out and compare it with the factory link tomorrow. The rod was a 1/2" bar that I had started to make by cutting threads on one end. I then found the donor tractor and put the link away. I will get it out tomorrow. Roger.

In the plans they say ALL holes are 3/8, but you have a larger top hole for the rod bushing, like me, just not quite as large.

• hamman said thank you

#15 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 02:54 PM

Got "Bob" started with no problem this morning. Got him into the garage and pulled the rear lift link for OkieGt. What a difference 41* makes. LOL   Here are some pictures of the link and Bob.

DSCF6679.JPG DSCF6681.JPG DSCF6684.JPG DSCF6692.JPG DSCF6694.JPG DSCF6696.JPG DSCF6698.JPG DSCF6700.JPG DSCF6701.JPG DSCF6702.JPG

The angels on the steel are at 45* all three pieces. Let me know if you can't read the dimentions or if you need more info.

The one that I had made would not of worked either. It was to small and the holes were in the wrong place. I did have the angels right. Roger.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF6699.JPG

Edited by hamman, January 04, 2014 - 02:57 PM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and OkieGt have said thanks