#46 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 03:06 PM

...The Capitalistic system can only survive on repeat sales, they cannot survive on mowers. tractors, refrigerators, cars, etc lasting 30 plus years...

I'm not business major but I think you make a good point and I'm sure that most companies intentionally build stuff not to last as long... Just so they get those repeat sales.

• OkieGt said thank you

#47 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 03:15 PM

I'm not business major but I think you make a good point and I'm sure that most companies intentionally build stuff not to last as long... Just so they get those repeat sales.

I see a lot of SCUT and CUT sales to guys paying 12,000 to 30,00o for tractors that sit in climate controlled environments and are lightly used throughout their lives compared to the old a Allis B's, Farmal A's.etc. Many laud how great these tractors are even though they don't really test them or use them like their predecessors did. These newer SCUTS and CUTS only last because they are, in many instances lightly used not tested. I doubt they will ever rmake the 30, 40, 50, 60 + year mark many old tractors did. More often than not, over half the reason for a SCUT or CUT is status symbol

• twostep said thank you

#48 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 03:38 PM

I'd say that a tractor would almost have to have at least 2 cylinders the be classed as an SGT.

Personally, I'd have to say that the very first SGT (even though it wasn't called that) had to be the Bolens 1886-01 in 1971.

It pretty much set the standard, and everyone else was playing catch up for years afterward.

• OkieGt said thank you

#49 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 03:43 PM

I'd say that a tractor would almost have to have at least 2 cylinders the be classed as an SGT.

Personally, I'd have to say that the very first SGT (even though it wasn't called that) had to be the Bolens 1886-01 in 1971.

It pretty much set the standard, and everyone else was playing catch up for years afterward.

I totally agree, followed by the Wheel Horse Dseries, and JD400 in 1974-75. My point is that the term SGT wasn't out there until the late 1980s with the big Cubs, so were using their specs to define early to late 1970s tractors as such. that's pretty tough as there were only a few GTs that sported twin engines in the 1970s that could really make SGT spec

#50 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:40 PM

Again are we going to include all GTs ever built no matter what year or decade n the SGT list, or should their be a early and late classification?

No, including everything means nothing's special.  I'll agree that the MTD tractors probably shouldn't be included even though they're close on size.  To me the SGT designation should be reserved for a brand's top of the line where they make both a "normal" GT and then one that's bigger and badder with much greater capabilities.  (I can't help it if MTD's run of the mill hydro GTs were nearly in SGT territory. :D )  I'd probably be even more restrictive than what's on the Word doc posted.  Without hard requirements though, you could argue for just about any GT.

But the later model MTDs were made int he 1980s and later, also the later 1855s and 2055s had larger front tires and power steering. They also made a GT1650 and maybe a 1850/2050 ( I believe that were single cylinder versions)

Way off topic but I'm just clearing up the different MTD models.  The White GT-1650 was a '70s 990 model.  The GT-1855 and 2055 were the later model design.  There were several different MTD model numbers that used those names over the years:  995, 992, 998.  All of the later design MTDs show 18" front tires but none had power steering according to the parts books.  As far as I know, MTD never had power steering until the Cub Cadet 3000 series.(edit: forgot that some of the earlier Cubs had PS and were technically MTD)  The 2050 and I assume the 1850 (couldn't find a reference to this model) were even later model White lawn tractors that they called GTs if you know what I mean. :wallbanging:

Edited by Canawler, January 06, 2014 - 07:09 PM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#51 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 06:48 PM

No, including everything means nothing's special.  I'll agree that the MTD tractors probably shouldn't be included even though they're close on size.  To me the SGT designation should be reserved for a brand's top of the line where they make both a "normal" GT and then one that's bigger and badder with much greater capabilities.  (I can't help it if MTD's run of the mill hydro GTs were nearly in SGT territory. :D )  I'd probably be even more restrictive than what's on the Word doc posted.  Without hard requirements though, you could argue for just about any GT.

Way off topic but I'm just clearing up the different MTD models.  The White GT-1650 was a '70s 990 model.  The GT-1855 and 2055 were the later model design.  There were several different MTD model numbers that used those names over the years:  995, 992, 998.  All of the later design MTDs show 18" front tires but none had power steering according to the parts books.  As far as I know, MTD never had power steering until the Cub Cadet 3000 series.  The 2050 and I assume the 1850 (couldn't find a reference to this model) were even later model White lawn tractors that they called GTs if you know what I mean. :wallbanging:

Man you really know your GTs, I'm dang sure they made a White GT-1850, but as you say, off topic. This is pretty tough classifying a SGT without bruising some egos. It doesn't matter to me, I have plenty of super garden tractors, even if they aren't SGTs

• twostep said thank you

#52 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 12:33 AM

I think my 140H3 is pretty dang super! :smilewink:

• OkieGt said thank you

#53 OkieGt OFFLINE