Garden Tractor Forums banner

"super Garden Tractors"

14K views 52 replies 17 participants last post by  OkieGt 
#1 ·
I know cub cadet coined this phrase when they introduced the 982, but I also like to consider other garden tractors of similar size as a super garden tractor. Mainly when I refer to a garden tractor as a SGT it needs to be shaft driven and an engine size of 16hp and up. The frame needs to be heavy of course and the tires usually are: Front tire: 18x8.50-8 and the Rear tire: 26x12.00-12. I know that they are tons of different models out there, and with that said I put together a little comparison of some SGT that were competing with each other for their share of the market. Some of the information is incomplete so feel freely to add any information that is missing. Most of the information and pictures came from the internet, I thought it would be interesting to put it all together in one spot.

#3 ·
Sears also had the FF18 & FF24. I'm sure there are others that can be added to that.

Reactions: hamman
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think of my Legacy (though a bit of a later model) as a SGT. They market the current XL model oddly, as a "Subcompact Garden Tractor" (wouldn't that mean, smaller than a 'Garden Tractor'??), but I don't feel it stacks up to the implied SCUT badge.

It is, however, an amazingly strong perfomring 'Super' garden tractor, IMO. Fits your criteria to a 'T'. Like the JD mentioned above, it offered optional 3pt and PTO, had a diesel model available, standard power steering and diff lock, auxillary hydraulics, hangs in there with a 55" wheelbase, tips the scales at right around 1000# (depends on engine and options). It will handle a wide variety of proprietary and CAT0 or Limited CAT1 attachments. But, it is simply is not beefy enough to properly operate larger Cat1 attachments, work with more than 600# in the bucket, 450# on the 3pt, or power hydraulic motor implements. I have a 60" flail mower I play with, and while it will do it, it is clear it only wants to play for a little while. I wouldn't want to be asking SCUT performance of that tractor....it does stand a head above my beefiest Garden Tractor though.

20131222_143727.jpg
20131202_174641.jpg
20131027_183717.jpg

#7 ·
It looks like this list is of the "first" SGT's from each of the big producers... otherwise you would yave to include the other JD 4xx's, the other Cub "Supers", the other WH D-series, etc.

#8 ·
Of course you got the MF 1655/1855's :smilewink:

I was thinking there was a small tractor labeled Kubota with a diesel in it that could be considered a SGT, don't know model number.

Along with the simplicity is the PowerMax, but I think it was a true SGT and I think Allis had like the green 1920 or something like that

#9 ·
The Sunstar line (AGCO, Deutz, Massey included) is a great example as well. I don't have the specs on those, but they fall in line, for sure!

From a standpoint of stature, the Powermax line certainly borders on SCUT territory...they are a much larger, heavier tractor, especially when considering the era they were built:

Simplicity 9020

Engine:

19.5 hp [14.5 kW]

Wheelbase:

56 inches [142 cm]

Weight:

1,300 lbs [589 kg]

Front tire:

20x8.00-10

Rear tire:

29x12.00-15

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
There is a lot of gray area, that has came into the classifiacation over the years.

Many of the original Gt's and their specs fall into todays category of SCUT (Sub Compact Tractors).

Of the original Super GT's I always think of the International & JD 400 series.

Some of the early machines fell into a range I would consider early efforts to create a SCUT.

SCUT was a term that did not exist at the time and the manufatureres classified them as Compact Utiiitys.

If you really wanted to muddy the waters I guess you could throw the Cub lowboys,184.185's into that range?

I would throw the Ford 195 Wheel Horse, D250, Allis Chalmers 620 & 720 etc into that class as well.

Talntedmrgreen Simplicity rates the Legacy as a SCUT. They are a very good and capable machine in that category. Though I think it is a bit on the light side of the category they do offer a loader and Backhoe for it, and it can operate most Scut implements.

Time seems to be the key? My Ford 1500 @ 2000+ lbs with 9.5 X24" tires was considered a Compact Utility when it was built in 1980.

By todays standards with 20 hp Diesel it would be considered on the lower side of the Scut range?

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thank these "classes" could also depend on the tractor's intended use...

Example: the 600 series Case tractors seem to be intended for more industrial use. The center tower sides ARE the loader uprights. I'm no expert but I doubt they were ever really intended to mow your yard or plow your garden.

Another example is my Kubota B5100E. It is outfitted like a CUT but much smaller, it's rated at 12hp (diesel), has 18" front tires and 27"-30" rear's. 3pt, 540pto, cutting brakes, trans mounts to tunnel mounts to engine (no frame rails). It's intended use was pulling tillers in the rice fields... meaning I would put it in the SCUT category even though it's lighter (950lbs) and weaker than some ALL of the SGT's.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
With Bolens, I would say that the 1886, HT18, HT20, HT20D, HT22, HT23 and HDT1000 would all qualify as SGTs.

They are all powered by multi cylinder engines varying from 18 to 23 Hp, have a 3-pt hitch available, are capable of pulling a 12" plow and other round engaging implements, and had both a FEL and Backhoe as available attachments.

I would hesitate to call them SCUTs, but they were creeping into SCUT territory.

#14 ·
The Wheel Horse D-250 is a true SGT.

Engine- Renault 19.9hp 4 cylinder liquid cooled rated at 3000RPM

1,500RPM Front and Mid PTO- 1,000RPM Rear PTO

Wieght-1,260lbs

Trans, 4 forward 1 reverse with High/Low Range and Differential Lock

Automotive style Clutch and Individual Turning Brakes

The is was only rated at 19.9HP for some rule used in tractor ratings, in other uses the same engine is rated a just over 30HP.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Tractor

Attachments

#15 ·
With Bolens, I would say that the 1886, HT18, HT20, HT20D, HT22, HT23 and HDT1000 would all qualify as SGTs.

They are all powered by multi cylinder engines varying from 18 to 23 Hp, have a 3-pt hitch available, are capable of pulling a 12" plow and other round engaging implements, and had both a FEL and Backhoe as available attachments.

I would hesitate to call them SCUTs, but they were creeping into SCUT territory.
I hope they don't' creep into SCUT territory they are tougher and stronger than SCUTS

#16 ·
The Wheel Horse D-250 is a true SGT.

Engine- Renault 19.9hp 4 cylinder liquid cooled rated at 3000RPM

1,500RPM Front and Mid PTO- 1,000RPM Rear PTO

Wieght-1,260lbs

Trans, 4 forward 1 reverse with High/Low Range and Differential Lock

Automotive style Clutch and Individual Turning Brakes

The is was only rated at 19.9HP for some rule used in tractor ratings, in other uses the same engine is rated a just over 30HP.

attachicon.gif
1-10jpg.jpg
I would say the Superest of Super Garden Tractors

#17 ·
I think of my Legacy (though a bit of a later model) as a SGT. They market the current XL model oddly, as a "Subcompact Garden Tractor" (wouldn't that mean, smaller than a 'Garden Tractor'??), but I don't feel it stacks up to the implied SCUT badge.

It is, however, an amazingly strong perfomring 'Super' garden tractor, IMO. Fits your criteria to a 'T'. Like the JD mentioned above, it offered optional 3pt and PTO, had a diesel model available, standard power steering and diff lock, auxillary hydraulics, hangs in there with a 55" wheelbase, tips the scales at right around 1000# (depends on engine and options). It will handle a wide variety of proprietary and CAT0 or Limited CAT1 attachments. But, it is simply is not beefy enough to properly operate larger Cat1 attachments, work with more than 600# in the bucket, 450# on the 3pt, or power hydraulic motor implements. I have a 60" flail mower I play with, and while it will do it, it is clear it only wants to play for a little while. I wouldn't want to be asking SCUT performance of that tractor....it does stand a head above my beefiest Garden Tractor though.

20131222_143727.jpg
20131202_174641.jpg
20131027_183717.jpg
I think the U in SCUT refers to "utility", meaning more of a small

Ford, Massey, IH style of utility tractor

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
CC&P it, Are you talking about adobe acrobat?
umm... never mind that post. That was suppose to be in a different thread. I edited that post with the text I intended for this thread.

#24 ·

I agree!! I love my HT 23--only thing I need to improve it is power steering and a cab!! (Oh and a regular 3 pt hitch--just has the tiller hitch right now)

Smitty

#25 ·
Here's another Super Garden Tractor that isn't very common-- a Dayton 3Z678B:

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Engine: 18 hp Briggs & Stratton twin

Transmission: Hydro static

Hydraulics: Power mower deck lift; Class "0" 3-point hitch

Front and Mid PTO

Tires:

Front: 18-10.00-18

Rear: 27-8.50-15

Essentially a rebadged MTD 995

Smitty

Attachments

Reactions: OkieGt
#26 ·
No one's mentioned the Case 446 and 448--powered by Onan B43 and B48 respectively. They aren't shaft drive due to their being hydraulically driven, but the did have optional hydraulic 3-point hitches, rear hydraulics, hydraulic deck lift, etc.

Smitty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.