• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 11:07 PM

I've been setting up my 77 LGT100 for the snowblade I got from Firstgensho.

With the big arse dozer blade edge welded to the snow blade it was a little too heavy for a guy with an H injury to be hoisting by hand.

I picked up a Superwinch 2000 lb ATV winch for 50 bucks on sale at Princess Auto. I've been really happy with my other one so I'm sure this one will be fine, if not it's guaranteed.

I built the winch mount out of the last of the 2" x 1/4" angle I had, along with a piece of 3" x 1/4 angle.

It fits nice, but the bracket moved the first time I used it. I need a another attachment point and I would get more lift. Also the trip springs are hitting the factory front blade guide, limiting the lift.

I cut a slot in a piece of 1-1/2" black plastic pipe, to act as a guide in case I need to use the winch for pulling. The height of the winch is set up to allow the winch cable to apply downforce on the blade when winching, making an anchor. Should be effective against the snow the piles up in the alley. Neighbors are always getting stuck in the niggliest things.

Right now the Cheapo trip springs are temporary, since I can't change the blade angle without a bit of work. I'm looking for a set of trip springs closer to the originals that aren't going to cost too much. When I got it there were chains welded to the blade to prevent trip.

I get a full 6" of lift as it is and the weight of the blade gives lots of down force for what I need it to do.

I zip tied the controller to the factory lift handle and locked the handle at the lowest notch possible while still allowing full ground contact. I can still drop it for extreme situations.

The setup is only temporary anyway since the blade will be remanufactured for my dozer project in the future.

Yes Its a 77 LGT 100, and yes the sheet metal is a combo of LGT145, and LGT165. It will all look right when I can get to painting it up. Its got a correct engine( Not original, Or at least not the carb)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN4369.JPG
  • DSCN4371.JPG
  • DSCN4372.JPG
  • DSCN4374.JPG
  • DSCN4375.JPG
  • DSCN4376.JPG
  • DSCN4377.JPG
  • DSCN4378.JPG
  • DSCN4381.JPG
  • DSCN4382.JPG
  • DSCN4383.JPG
  • DSCN4385.JPG

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Looks good.  As far as trip springs, you can try our sponsors for original ones.

Also, Sears sells some for under $10 each that will work. They are off their 48" dozer blade, model # 486.24414. Trip spring part # R9466R, cost $9.78. Bolt = #44071, $2.99, 3/8"-16 X 3-1/2".

• boyscout862, Chopperhed and Oldford have said thanks

#3 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 02:34 PM

Took it out and tried it out last night.

The trip springs are way too stiff. I couldn't get the blade to trip at all. I will have to get some smaller ones.

Also the Chain connector link i had for the lift lasted about five minutes before it stretched out and broke. I ended up bolting the two ends of the chain together with a 3/8" bolt.

Worked good after that, was able to push snow up the sides quite a ways.

• KennyP said thank you

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Took it out and tried it out last night.

The trip springs are way too stiff. I couldn't get the blade to trip at all. I will have to get some smaller ones.

Also the Chain connector link i had for the lift lasted about five minutes before it stretched out and broke. I ended up bolting the two ends of the chain together with a 3/8" bolt.

Worked good after that, was able to push snow up the sides quite a ways.

Did you get the springs I listed?

• Chopperhed said thank you

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 09:08 PM

Not yet, Still using the ones I had. Cash is kinda short right now. It will work for a dozer blade. Traction and flotation is still a big issue. steering sucks too. Most of what I'm doing is on hard pack snow ( city leaves the alley hard packed since its gravel underneath), and turf tires with chains just dig it up, the the 8 rib fronts just skate.

Need to look at dual ags on the arse.and 3 ribs or ags up front.