78 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:29 PM

I kind of need to type. You guys listen great. I don't mean to make this a forum for advice but I think you guys understand. I need to type something or talk to someone but everyone is asleep and i dont have many close friends. Anything I say here is not to brag or anything. If you know me that is not my style. I am a country boy and play with old garden tractors.

I had made a post about my job a little while ago. It's been going great. Week at home(working at my normal mine) and a week at the mine in WV. Been going well. Wife has adjusted(and went to part time) and I have to a degree. Living out of motels gets old and lonely.

I am home this week going back Monday to spend my week out of town. My boss got out of a meeting at the main office at 10pm and called me and said he had been promoted to maintenance director at a corporate level and I am being promoted to his assistant if I want it. Of course I want it. I'd be higher than all my bosses that I have HATED forever. And my goal has always been to be corporate and a B function manager.

Here is the kicker. I have to relocate down there permanently. Incentives to this? They are numerous and include money beyond my wildest dreams. More than I ever thought I a boy who barely graduated high school and failed out of college could ever obtain. Relocation money including a 20% down payment on a house of my choice and several other very attractive offers.

It's 2 hours away from home. Home from the town I grew up in. From a house that I love. From my parents. My wife's family and every thing I know and love.

My wife woke up when the phone ran (she is used to my phone ringing and didn't think much of it) I told her the news and the words out of her mouth were when do we leave? She wants to go(and this would enable her to be a full time stay at home mom) Especially with the developments that I can't mention(my prayer request). Being away from here would be a great improvement for my step daughter. And my wife isn't all that close with her family.

I am at a complete loss. Money isn't everything as i well know. And money isn't an issue now. We are comfortable and basically live a pretty worry free life when it comes to money. I love my parents. I love this little crap hole town and i want my kids to know all their grandparents.

Argh. Too much on my mind now. I'll never sleep tonight.

If I did take this would it be strange to not sell my current home? I love this house and want to come back here when this is done. May be 20 or 25 years but yeah

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 02, 2014 - 10:31 PM.

• hamman, tractorgarden, sacsr and 5 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,582 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:38 PM

Man, that is a lot to digest late at night. Sleep on it and pray for the best path to take. Higher wages always seem good, but there is usually more stress in the job then.

• hamman, boyscout862, twostep and 3 others have said thanks

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:42 PM

I feel for you. If you can swing it; keep it. I love my little crap town also. More prayers sent. 

• hamman, WNYTractorTinkerer, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#4 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:47 PM

Man, that is a lot to digest late at night. Sleep on it and pray for the best path to take. Higher wages always seem good, but there is usually more stress in the job then.

I am shot for sleep now. Money can't buy happiness. In all honesty what I am doing now is basically what I would be doing then but I'd have a true job with power and the pay grade. I've always been held back through the advancement ladder because of of my lack of a college degree. I've watched so many people promoted past me because I don't have a degree and they do. I started my life as an hourly mechanics assistant 10 years ago and have clawed my way up tooth and nail to the position I held before my last promotion.

I just don't want to leave my family. I want my kids to know them and love them as I did and as I know they want to be a part of their life as well.

It seems everything in life comes with a price. I had to endure a horrible first marriage(and divorce) to find true happiness in my second.
  • hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:48 PM

First off, congrats. It sounds like a wonderful adventure you are about to embark on.

Second, it sounds like a great opportunity for your family to get back in touch.

Third, two hours isn't all that long a drive if done regularly and the grandparents & kids can be together. It might not be around the corner, but it's close enough that with effort they can be close. Add Skype and some other online situations, the distance gets a lot smaller.

The house, I don't know what the demographic is in your town, but maybe you could find some decent folk to rent out to. Then the house will still be there in 20 years, waiting for you to come home.
  • hamman, HDWildBill, David Brown and 4 others have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:52 PM

Thank you guys.

It's a lot to digest. Sitting here now hold little girl as she had a nightmare. Small things in life sure have a way of making you happy...
  • hamman, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#7 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:58 PM

Sounds like a no-brainer.  Two hours isn't that far.

• hamman, twostep, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#8 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 11:23 PM

If the two hours is what is holding you back.. Go for it.. Two hours is nothing for a family that loves each other.  If everything else is a win then the two hours will become nothing. There is nothing to say your kids can't visit gramma and grandpa often.  To further your position i would take it in a heart beat but thats me. Your young and this is a once in a life time deal it sounds.

• hamman, HDWildBill, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 11:24 PM

Well this is just my opinion but, why not keep your current house at the same time if your going to make that much money and buy a new smaller hosue close to your job. Maybe use your current house as like a summer home or visit it on the weekends if possible?  

• hamman, HDWildBill, Team_Green and 3 others have said thanks

#10 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 11:24 PM

way to go!!!!! be real, this is what you worked for, tomorrow is a new day, think of the extras the new job will bring, your wife will become the full time mom and wife she wants to be , you will be able to provide a better education and life style for your family, 2hrs away is not a killer ride, or if your making "THAT KIND OF MONEY" buy a house with an inlaw suite and have them over for extended stays, but better yet talk to your dad he will probably ask you " when are you moving" and if you say your not "duck" all us fathers want our children to succeed , and dont worry we will get to see our grand kids, and that kid of ours who we brag about , being a big shot , so go for it, your only scared because it finally happened

• hamman, IamSherwood, HDWildBill and 4 others have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 11:33 PM

your only scared because it finally happened

I think this is a lot of it.

So much time and hard work. But it's a lot to take in. I wish he wouldn't of called me at 10 at night. I was ready for sleep lol
  • hamman, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 11:37 PM

Wow, Congratulations for being the type of employee that a manager / supervisor can trust and believes would be an asset to him / her after they are promoted and move up the ladder.

You mention that the new job is only two hours away and that doesn't sound to restrictive. Your wife is all for it and you sound like you want a new start for the family from a situation that is obviously a very heart wrenching burden.

Having your children grow up and be close to their grand parents is a great thing. Again, two hours away isn't all that far. I would think that the grandparents would be all for helping see to it that the grandkids get to see them often.

Having a 20% deposit on a new home, any home would be a good thing for you. Keeping you current home is admirable and not about anything else other than your love for " Home". Having it to retire to in the future would be a good thing. It's also possible that you may decide later to sell the home and get something better, smaller, bigger or what ever.

You obviously love the job you are doing now but you stated you wanted to move up in the company also. This may be your chance. Never sell yourself short. Anyone willing to work hard to to better themselves in a profession and company is an asset to their family company and themselves.

Your family will understand and they will support you. they might not like it at first but one thing you can count on is family.

Yes you have a lot to think about, but don't stress over it. A family meeting (both sides) and the situation explained is needed. Then you will be able to get to where you need to be.

We will be saying a extra prayer for you and the family along with our other prayers for you. Good Luck. May God Bless You and your family.

Roger.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 11:42 PM

I don't want to preach but from my own experience when God works he works fast. When things begin to happen they happen fast & in order. Good opportunities can be overwhelming at times. My wife has been a stay at home mom for most of our 41 years of marriage. My kids two daughters 37 & 31 & son 20 they all still thank us for that. Like mentioned 2 hours is nothing between family. We have lived close to, next door & in the same house with parents & inlaws, believe me distance is a good thing for evetybody. Sleep on it, pray about it & let us know.
  • hamman, boyscout862, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#14 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 01:13 AM

I don't want to preach but from my own experience when God works he works fast. When things begin to happen they happen fast & in order. Good opportunities can be overwhelming at times.

Amazing, but I was thinking this exact thing while I was reading through these posts. Can't agree more.

I, too, suffered through a horrible first marriage, eventually remarried, and am VERY happy. We married in Feb. 2003, I found out that we needed to move 2 hours away in March, and were completely moved by mid-June. In a nutshell, everything fell in place, from our house selling after being listed FOUR DAYS, finding our current home on the SAME DAY that we heard we had a buyer for the other... so many other things that I give God all the credit for orchestrating. Best move we EVER made, got us out of the town where I had one too many psycho ex's (would have been complete HELL if we had stayed). Tons of good memories, friends, etc made here in the last 10+ years.

I'd say.... GO FOR IT!

• hamman, oldedeeres and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 01:20 AM

Another good clue....... PEACE!!!  Another good clue..... WIFE AGREES!!!!   (That HAS to be GOD!!!..... LOL)

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks