5 replies to this topic

#1 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:48 PM

Has anyone replaced the compression release spring on the camshaft? My engine does not have one and it is needed. It cranks very slowly and when it is cold it does not like to push past the compression stroke. 

It does not look like it would be hard to replace but I was just wondering if there were any tricks to it. Looking for some input.

Geno

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 04:05 AM

Check the manual in our Mauals Section. I'm disassembling one to rebuild. Good Luck, Rick

• bgkid2966 said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 05:51 PM

I don't think that spring is able to be bought separately   that goes bad=new cam   and with kohler junking out all the parts they have left for them, (which pizzez me off)  I see that what used to be commonly replaced parts on them commanding more than a whole engine used to....

yikes.   I have an M12 (basically a K 301 with elec ignition instead of points) that I am finally getting around to reassembly, I hunted Ebay til I found the parts for what I wanted to pay  it took a while to build my engine on that basis.... I spent 2 hours with a steel wool pad  soaked in Marvel Mystery Oil (what I had convenient on the bench at the moment)  cleaning surface rust from my freshly machined block earlier today....

it seems kohler is happy to rebadge Chinese junk tehse days and seems embarrassed to have made an engine that actually lasted basically forever, they are forgetting just what exactly gave them the reputation that they are living off of today....

• trowel, bgkid2966 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:05 AM

There is no pride in a product well built. Instead it is greed for a quick profit. Good Luck, Rick
  • trowel said thank you

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:12 AM

Has anyone replaced the compression release spring on the camshaft? My engine does not have one and it is needed. It cranks very slowly and when it is cold it does not like to push past the compression stroke. 

It does not look like it would be hard to replace but I was just wondering if there were any tricks to it. Looking for some input.

Geno

It sounds like the battery is discharging too fast or the starter motor's brushes is worn out or need replacing.

#6 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:27 AM

The battery has been tested and is in good shape. It is a full size deep cycle battery. The s/g has been completely rebuilt. When I removed the balance gears I saw the compression release spring was missing. I will put a new one in after snow season is over.

Geno

• trowel said thank you