#1 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 05:07 PM

What material should I use to make my own wheel weights?

• hamman and OkieGt have said thanks

#2 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 05:40 PM

Very simply, "Whatever you have".

•  Lead has about the greatest density/weight per square inch, and iron/steel is heavy, but you need special skills and tools to melt those.

•  Sometimes you can find scrap iron that will fit into the wheel wells, but then you have to drill 1/2" holes thru it.

•  Some "barbell" weights fit in the wheels good.

•  There are plastic shells that can hold sand or cement that bolt on (about $50/pair).

•  Some people have drilled 4 spaced holes in the bottom of a 5 gallon pail, used greased wood dowels and poured cement with scrap wire mesh, to make their own weights.

•  I like the idea of filled liquid tires.   (see #3: http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/30256-weights-on-gt/ ),

out-of-sight but always there.

•  Or you can just purchase a very nice pair of weights:  http://gardentractor...g-cast-now-new/

Again, very simply, "Whatever you have".

Edited by GlenPettit, January 02, 2014 - 05:45 PM.

• TheFarm2004, hamman, js5020 and 3 others have said thanks

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Here is some good reading, on using brake drums.

http://gardentractor...ts/?hl= weights +brake +drum

Filling the tires with windshield washer fluid, is fairly inexpensive, quick, and easy.

Take the tire off, lay it on it's side, break the bead, and pour it in.

If the tires are tubed, get one of those $10 hand drill pumps, a selection

of hose bits, and pump the fluid in.

Edited by IamSherwood, January 02, 2014 - 06:41 PM.

• motobreeder and VintageIronCollector have said thanks

#4 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 01:54 AM

What material should I use to make my own wheel weights?

Do you really think it's worth your time to make them when you can find them in your are for 100 or less, sometimes a lot less. On top of it all, in the end they don't add any value to your tractor.Even if they weren't the right brand OEM weights would be better than going cheap, and spending a lot of valuable time

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#5 over40pirate OFFLINE  

over40pirate
  • Member No: 52222
  • 4 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 09:40 PM

I would worry about loading tires with washer fluid, as it has no anti corrosion additives.

I prefer wheel weights. I made a set for one of my GT's by welding a section of barbell shaft(?) to a 1/2" x 2" piece of steel, that is bolted to the wheel. Behind the 50# weight are 35#'s of smaller weights. The last weight, before the big one, just fits in the rim, which helps support the shaft.

Works great.

wheel weights.jpg

• IamSherwood, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#6 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 603 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:43 AM

Do you have a picture of the part that you bolted to the wheel to add the weights??

#7 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 04:44 AM

I would worry about loading tires with washer fluid, as it has no anti corrosion additives.

I prefer wheel weights. I made a set for one of my GT's by welding a section of barbell shaft(?) to a 1/2" x 2" piece of steel, that is bolted to the wheel. Behind the 50# weight are 35#'s of smaller weights. The last weight, before the big one, just fits in the rim, which helps support the shaft.

Works great.

attachicon.gifwheel weights.jpg

My preference is liquid ballast. I had 160 lb of calcium chloride in each 26x12-12 turf tire for 12 years until the rims rusted out. The new rims will get Rim Guard for the weight, environmental friendliness, and corrosion protection. I can add wheel weights if I need them. So far they haven't been needed, even for heavy lifts with the loader.

Edited by TUDOR, January 12, 2014 - 04:46 AM.

• OkieGt said thank you

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 08:47 AM

My preference is liquid ballast. I had 160 lb of calcium chloride in each 26x12-12 turf tire for 12 years until the rims rusted out. The new rims will get Rim Guard for the weight, environmental friendliness, and corrosion protection. I can add wheel weights if I need them. So far they haven't been needed, even for heavy lifts with the loader.

I agree, I've priced the barbells and weights. cheaper and easier to buy wheel weights

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 10:16 AM

Do you have a picture of the part that you bolted to the wheel to add the weights??

I've seen a couple of versions. One uses the 4 bolt for the original Wheel Weights.
image.jpg
This one is made by a company called Lugg Handles

And the other uses the 5 bolt for the wheel
image.jpg
I think this one is home made.

Pros and cons to both IMHO,
the one using the 4 bolt, there are now some weird stresses that I don't think the rim maker intended. it should be fine tho.
The 5 bolt one is better with stress on the rim, shouldnt be a major load diff on the axels, but its just one more thing to juggle while putting the wheel on.
I'm sure they both work well, but either would have to be built from darn stiff stuff not to sag with 100+ lbs on it.
  • KennyP said thank you

#10 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 04:53 AM

Considering that those 4 bolt holes are designed to hold wheel weights on in the first place, what weird stresses are you thinking about?

We're only talking about a 50-100 lb load offset by 6-8".

I know that I don't like them because they're shin busters, not because of poor engineering.

Edited by TUDOR, January 13, 2014 - 05:00 AM.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,252 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted January 13, 2014 - 06:23 AM

Considering that those 4 bolt holes are designed to hold wheel weights on in the first place, what weird stresses are you thinking about?

With a regular wheel weight, we are mounting with opposed bolts using a tensioned load on the rim. Usually, the weight is also in contact with the rim round the circumference. With these adapters, we are changing that with to a constantly changing load as the tire spins. Add to that the rims are outside their expected use lifespan by 30 years. I'm just saying that the stresses are different than designed originally. I am not saying that it is shoddy engineering or that a catastrophic, nascar like-11pm newsworthy accident could occur at 6 MPH. There's a reason why that post is a foot long or so and I wanted to point out the changing load dynamics so people would be mindful as they set out to build one 3 foot long and add 300# to each wheel.

Maybe no one would ever try to exceed the safety margin here, but I've seen way to many youtube videos of Clem and his brother Clem building something outside designed specs to assume that. Besides, we all share at least some genetic material with this guy.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• trowel said thank you

#12 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 05:32 AM

Valid points to a degree. I might point out that the segmented weights used by MF GT's would have the same issues as you are stating, and while each segment is only 20 lb, they are designed as stackable weights and touch the rim only at the mounting points.

Bottom line still comes back to weight applied to the specified 12" shaft. The leverage is only 6" from the wheel.and even with 150 lb of weight installed, that only puts about 270 lb load on each bolt in succession as the wheel turns. Even discounting the portion of that load being supported by the other bolts, that is not an unrealist load for a half inch bolt or the thickness of the formed steel used for the spyder for more than 30 year old rims.

They're still shinbusters and I wouldn't use them for that reason alone. :wallbanging:

However, I do resemble Clem and his brother Clem in some of my other engineering ventures.  :hitting_self_roller:  

Edited by TUDOR, January 14, 2014 - 05:33 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 mgrubb47122 OFFLINE  

mgrubb47122
  • Member No: 56383
  • 11 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 06:07 AM

I have been making the barbell adapters for several years now and I find that the trick to keeping your shins safe is to use all of the shaft.  It's a lot harder to  hurt yourself bumping into a large round weight than it is to scrape your ankle against a steel pin sticking out of said large weight.  You can also shorten the length and use larger weights, and try to add as uch weight as possible inside the wheel.

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 07:35 AM

Quit worrying about wheel weights, just eat more biscuits and gravy :watch_over_fence:  :bigrofl:

• twostep said thank you

#15 Natureboy OFFLINE  

Natureboy
  • Member No: 49649
  • 73 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 11:37 AM

Tires filled with WW fluid, and a set of weights I bought did me just fine while snow blowing. I'm going to try the biscuit and gravy thing though.