53 replies to this topic

#46 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,227 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:32 PM

nobody is winning or losing by those programs on eBay. High bid wins. Doesn't matter if you make the bid with 7days or 7 seconds left. It doesn't matter how whoever bids. It's he who bids most that wins.

It's annoying but that's how it is I missed out on a bunch of ariens parts that I was high bidder on for the entire auction.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#47 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 08:03 PM

OkieGT I never got into the details of my case. During that year I wanted his blood. I followed up on his winning bidders mostly collectors like myself & gave them warnings. Eventually I had a lot of others filing claims. I searched out other items carrying this bogus grading co. I found out he had a partner so claims were filed against him too. Both of these individuals were found & were charged. I could never get any details about them other than that. Things have changed for the worse for buyers & sellers. I have a few products I make in my shop for train modeler's. One guy that bought one of my products inquired about weathering. I gave him some ideas & techniques. We had about 3 or 4 emails through ebay which is the only way buyer & seller can make contact. I got a warning that all conversation can only be about the sale only. This is weird how they knew this. I wish ebay had more competition but they don't :(

how do you send the warnings to other buyers? Epay wont let you contact anyone but the seller of a specific item... not other buyers any more.... I too hate them I used to like buying on EPay.... the sniped-within-4-seconds-of-end-of-sale has happened to me more times than I care to try and recount and yeah it pizzez me off too...  I can bid $80 on an item that starts out at $8.99  be the "leading bidder" at $25 with 10 minutes left and lose for $81 with 3 seconds to go.... these snipes that don't show their face before that point NEED TO LEAVE or be shown the door....

• OkieGt said thank you

#48 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 08:03 PM

It's annoying but that's how it is I missed out on a bunch of ariens parts that I was high bidder on for the entire auction.

yup.... I feel that pain (no I don't bid on Ariens parts as I have no need)

#49 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,227 Thanks
  • 5,070 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 08:05 PM

My suggestion only use ebay for buy it now stuff that you want. 

My thing is now that if its not a buy it now, pass. 

• OkieGt said thank you

#50 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,691 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 08:20 PM

D, I read through your post (#47) three times now and you're going to have to help me out here. I totally understand your bidding style. I have used it myself with success. In real auctions. Face to face. I bid from the get-go (well, when the auctioneer comes down to a realistic price) and I bid fast. If it seems the other person wants it, and I still have room, I'll jump the bid increments higher to get them out.

But I have found the opposite effect to happen on Ebay. I've done it myself. I see something I think I need. I bid, but a previous bid was higher. So I sit there looking at the new high bid price, thinking 'how much higher is it?' Then I bid again, just to see if I can beat it. When, originally, I had set my price with my first bid.

Bidding my max that I'm comfortable spending at the last second doesn't give someone else the luxury of sniffing at my bid.

Of course, it's all moot when the auction ends when I'm not at home.

• superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#51 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Cat, that's what I do.  I'll tell ya'll my trade secret so you know the signs when it gets you.  :cowboy_shooter:

I bid what I want to spend the last chance I have before the auction ends.  4 days before is an invitation for trouble, lets folks weasel down your hidden bids from $20 bucks ahead to $.02 so the sniper can get you at 2 seconds to go.

As a seller, that doesn't bother me, because if five people bid all along penny and nickling each other to $200, or if those same folks never bid until the last 4 seconds with a fight in 25 buck increments to $200, it all comes to the same. 

Ben W.

• Sawdust said thank you

#52 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 09:07 PM

My suggestion only use ebay for buy it now stuff that you want. 

My thing is now that if its not a buy it now, pass. 

Buy it now isn't always the problem when the package arrives or doesn't or isn't what it's supposed to be

#53 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 11:09 PM

how do you send the warnings to other buyers? Epay wont let you contact anyone but the seller of a specific item... not other buyers any more.... I too hate them I used to like buying on EPay.... the sniped-within-4-seconds-of-end-of-sale has happened to me more times than I care to try and recount and yeah it pizzez me off too...  I can bid $80 on an item that starts out at $8.99  be the "leading bidder" at $25 with 10 minutes left and lose for $81 with 3 seconds to go.... these snipes that don't show their face before that point NEED TO LEAVE or be shown the door....

DT the incident I had was back when you could see the bidders & the winning bid. I would drop a PM to the high bidders warning them. Now you can't do that, you don't even see a real name just abbreviations. This has been a good thread I have enjoyed it & learned some new ebay terminology. We have sniffers that sniff during the action then we have snipes that take that last shot & win. I'll use your numbers as an example. If you go to a live auction & the auctioneer starts the bid at $8.99 why would you yell out to everyone that your highest bid will be $80.? It's close to being the same on ebay. Lay low, hide, maybe sniff every now & then to see where your victim is & at the last moment snipe your highest bid & your chances are much greater of leaving out the door smiling with your item. Like mentioned play or don't we all have a choice.  :shoot2:

Edited by Sawdust, January 03, 2014 - 11:10 PM.

#54 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Was just on MTF and guy that got that speedex was on there with a picture. He's from New York!  I told him to let me buy it and I was closer, ha!  He's looking for way to pick it up!  Told him to join here and show fellas in the Speedex forum and get better info than at the other Site. It had to be in the "Other GT's" section which sees little use there.

• OkieGt said thank you