• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:55 PM

The problem with placing your max early your giving the one click bidders a chance to weed you out or find out what your max is. I never bid until 2 seconds before it goes down then I drop my max. If I loose only the winner weeds me out.

:ditto:

If you bid early you get those granny bidders who will keep bidding $1-$2 at a time because they think they are getting somewhere being ahead of you

• superaben said thank you

#32 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:23 PM

I just saw the epay seller that has a fraudulent listing and epay returned my money on his sale still has the same listing up, same with the guy selling B&S coils, epay has a responsibility to weed out frauds and scammers, but they don't unless contacted directly by lawyers or police. I'm calling my State Attorney Generals office and filing a complaint against both sellers and Epay

• Sawdust said thank you

#33 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 11:21 PM

OkieGT I never got into the details of my case. During that year I wanted his blood. I followed up on his winning bidders mostly collectors like myself & gave them warnings. Eventually I had a lot of others filing claims. I searched out other items carrying this bogus grading co. I found out he had a partner so claims were filed against him too. Both of these individuals were found & were charged. I could never get any details about them other than that. Things have changed for the worse for buyers & sellers. I have a few products I make in my shop for train modeler's. One guy that bought one of my products inquired about weathering. I gave him some ideas & techniques. We had about 3 or 4 emails through ebay which is the only way buyer & seller can make contact. I got a warning that all conversation can only be about the sale only. This is weird how they knew this. I wish ebay had more competition but they don't :(
  • OkieGt said thank you

#34 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 11:30 PM

OkieGT I never got into the details of my case. During that year I wanted his blood. I followed up on his winning bidders mostly collectors like myself & gave them warnings. Eventually I had a lot of others filing claims. I searched out other items carrying this bogus grading co. I found out he had a partner so claims were filed against him too. Both of these individuals were found & were charged. I could never get any details about them other than that. Things have changed for the worse for buyers & sellers. I have a few products I make in my shop for train modeler's. One guy that bought one of my products inquired about weathering. I gave him some ideas & techniques. We had about 3 or 4 emails through ebay which is the only way buyer & seller can make contact. I got a warning that all conversation can only be about the sale only. This is weird how they knew this. I wish ebay had more competition but they don't :(

If you want to communicate about other things than buying and selling you can trade emails in ebay messenger, but you have to disguise the email address like using the word "dot" and writing the symbol "at", or they remove the email address automatically. Ebay can view all your emails in ebay

• Sawdust said thank you

#35 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:52 AM

I've never gotten the warning about messages have to only be about a product at hand, but I also try to trade contact information to get the conversation private quickly. 

eBay doesn't seem to mind us trading phone numbers for some reason.

Ben W.

• Sawdust and OkieGt have said thanks

#36 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 07:53 AM

I've never gotten the warning about messages have to only be about a product at hand, but I also try to trade contact information to get the conversation private quickly. 

eBay doesn't seem to mind us trading phone numbers for some reason.

Ben W.

They believe the protection they offer will deter us from communicating directly, but they really don't offer much protection at all, they just take a piece of the action

• superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#37 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 08:53 AM

I wish I could say eBay does protect the buyer, but with all their claims, it still took two months for them to give me my money back when a character decided to not ship an item, clearly because the tracking number they provided never did a thing but sit still, and the seller never communicated with me.  How hard of a case is that? 

No complaints here, its buyer beware anywhere and no one is forcing me to use eBay, but I do think reality ought to set in on some of these promises eBay corporate wants to promote. 

Ben W.

#38 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,061 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 09:15 AM

If you want to communicate about other things than buying and selling you can trade emails in ebay messenger, but you have to disguise the email address like using the word "dot" and writing the symbol "at", or they remove the email address automatically. Ebay can view all your emails in ebay

Even this is tough...their software recognizes things spelled out like 'aol', 'comcast', 'dot', 'at', etc.  I have gotten to the point where I tell a buyer I'm giving them half my email now, and half in a second message, both disguised as described.  Then you have to hope the buyer "get's it". 

#39 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 10:32 AM

Even this is tough...their software recognizes things spelled out like 'aol', 'comcast', 'dot', 'at', etc.  I have gotten to the point where I tell a buyer I'm giving them half my email now, and half in a second message, both disguised as described.  Then you have to hope the buyer "get's it". 

They are real adamant about getting a piece of the action, but they will never protect or be in favor of the buyer, it's why I wonder when someone will bring a class action lawsuit against them, I mean the evidence is all within public doamin.

#40 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 10:45 AM

I try to use  my credit card for most of my ebay purchases.  If there is an issue with a bad product, you can file a claim with your credit card company, and they will do something for you.  Sellers take notice when their payment has been reversed or put on hold.  I've only had to do this once, but it got the problem resolved, and quick!

• Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood, superaben and 2 others have said thanks

#41 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 11:13 AM

I try to use  my credit card for most of my ebay purchases.  If there is an issue with a bad product, you can file a claim with your credit card company, and they will do something for you.  Sellers take notice when their payment has been reversed or put on hold.  I've only had to do this once, but it got the problem resolved, and quick!

That is the best advice so far, thanks. One note, I have one card I only use for online purchases and it doesn't allow for over drafts, so they cant get more than you have, my bank even calls me before any payment is authorized on that card. I get lazy and use paypal which isn't the party that is responsible on ebay sales problems, ebay is.

• Sawdust said thank you

#42 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:41 PM

I wish I could say eBay does protect the buyer, but with all their claims, it still took two months for them to give me my money back when a character decided to not ship an item, clearly because the tracking number they provided never did a thing but sit still, and the seller never communicated with me.  How hard of a case is that? 

No complaints here, its buyer beware anywhere and no one is forcing me to use eBay, but I do think reality ought to set in on some of these promises eBay corporate wants to promote. 

Ben W.

About 2 months ago I bought some star wars figures for my sons birthday.I think it was 11  N.i.b.figures for $18 w/shipping.It was a steal.Well 2 weeks go by no figures.I sent him an email,and he just automatically refunded my money.Which was good.He didn't even reply or answer when he shipped them or a tracking # or anything.Didn't even say he would look into it I thought alright he never planned on shipping them out because they sold so cheap.I gave him neg feed back.He then replied to our last email and thanked me for the neg feed back after refunding my money he can't help it they got lost in the mail.I replied no problem any time.They can't get lost in the mail if they were never shipped.I won the auc there was no reserve.They should've been sent out.No comment.

• superaben and OkieGt have said thanks

#43 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:06 PM

About 2 months ago I bought some star wars figures for my sons birthday.I think it was 11  N.i.b.figures for $18 w/shipping.It was a steal.Well 2 weeks go by no figures.I sent him an email,and he just automatically refunded my money.Which was good.He didn't even reply or answer when he shipped them or a tracking # or anything.Didn't even say he would look into it I thought alright he never planned on shipping them out because they sold so cheap.I gave him neg feed back.He then replied to our last email and thanked me for the neg feed back after refunding my money he can't help it they got lost in the mail.I replied no problem any time.They can't get lost in the mail if they were never shipped.I won the auc there was no reserve.They should've been sent out.No comment.

Glad to see someone with the grey matter to figure this guys scam out, so many today wouldn't have understood what he was doing

#44 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Let me say it this way. 

Old Paths Equipment sells a good bit on eBay.  I also buy a lot on eBay.  

eBay is a business, and makes decisions based on their revenue.  They might argue all they want, but we all have to think about that in the end because without a little green stuff you don't stay as a business long.  eBay is in favor of the seller, because the seller pays eBay. 

I have been helped by that and burned by that. 

eBay is also only an open forum, if you will, populated by characters such as us here, and those unsavory guys who we really don't care to do business with.  The theory is that all of us will tattle on the unsavory characters and make the whole world safer as a result.  Those munchkins still crop it occasionally and make us all ticked.  Sometimes that is what makes eBay look bad while it is actually the seller.  In eBay's defense, they do slap hands when hands should be slapped.  75% of the time.  That other 25% always seems to have an excuse. 

What it really comes down to is that nobody is forcing anybody to sell or buy on eBay.  I sell knowing I will be charged an arm for the privilege, and the buyer buys knowing that he doesn't know me from Adam and that he is depending on eBay to back him up.  We both know that, one trades money and one sends an engine, and everyone smiles. 

If you don't like eBay, stay off and leave all the good deals to those of us who want to play the game.

Because it is just a game in the end.  I happen to like the game, and when I don't, I know it is part of what I have to put up with to play.

Ben W.

• Bolens 1000, IamSherwood, sacsr and 3 others have said thanks

#45 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts