• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 07:21 PM

so.... Anyone else see this thread turning into a negative besides me?

Is it really a good idea telling people how you bid on an open forum? Wont people now do the same? :wallbanging: :hitting_self_roller:

Doesn't really matter to me how they bid when I set my max & stick to it, which I have learned to do EVERY time.  If I don't win, I don't pay out, simple as that.  I don't get upset about not winning anymore.  

• Talntedmrgreen, NJKen, pigsitter and 3 others have said thanks

#17 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 07:38 PM

nobody is winning or losing by those programs on eBay. High bid wins. Doesn't matter if you make the bid with 7days or 7 seconds left. It doesn't matter how whoever bids. It's he who bids most that wins.

well sort of, but with sniping programs, it forces each person to offer the max amount they will pay well before the auction ends. I don't care. I tell people how to bid and they never listen anyway, everyone does it the way they feel comfortable

• Talntedmrgreen and Sawdust have said thanks

#18 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 07:50 PM

My biggest problem with eBay is that when you report fraud they don't take any action. There is a guy that is selling Briggs and Stratton coils on there right now that shows the coil, the box, a couple of wires and instructions, and it said last one left, it also did when another guy i know bought one. both of us received a Chinese made coil, no Briggs box, no wires, no instructions, just a note saying sorry box was damaged. eBays response to my complaint was that, why did it matter as long as it would work. Right now I am into my third week trying to get my money back from a well known outfit that sent a partial order after I canceled the order because the ad said COMPLETE set and it was not a complete set, not even close, so now I have to wait 3 weeks even though the company agreed not to send it and to cancel the order the day of the sale through eBay messenger. You cannot leave negative feedback to power sellers or sellers that have any kind of return policy, even if that return policy means you will pay for the return shipping and/or restocking. Bottom line is why should eBay care about fraud if they get a cut. I'm probably wasting my time with this, all my complaints about fraud get deleted at ebay and all the forums anyway, nevermind

I collect Brett Favre cards & once bought what was suppose to be a graded rookie card. When I got it the grading co. didn't exist ( bogus co.) & the plastic display box looked like a child glued it together. I made my fraud report followed this guy for a long time & documented his bogus sales. It took them almost a year but I got my refund & he was black flagged. My problem then & I'm sure now is all the forms & hardly any chance of talking to a real person.

• OkieGt said thank you

#19 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 07:51 PM

Is it really a good idea telling people how you bid on an open forum? Wont people now do the same? :wallbanging: :hitting_self_roller:

Nah, if I see something I want.....it's mine period. Now let me go ask my lovely Amber if I can buy this GT I saw today ;)

#20 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 08:00 PM

I collect Brett Favre cards & once bought what was suppose to be a graded rookie card. When I got it the grading co. didn't exist ( bogus co.) & the plastic display box looked like a child glued it together. I made my fraud report followed this guy for a long time & documented his bogus sales. It took them almost a year but I got my refund & he was black flagged. My problem then & I'm sure now is all the forms & hardly any chance of talking to a real person.

In the time before the user was black-flagged he was able to open a new user name and start doing business, by the time you got your refund eBay was flush with a portion of his ill-gotten gains, eBay has simply found away around the law of selling stolen merchandise, fraud, conspiracy, etc, etc, and make it pay, by being the middle man

#21 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 08:42 PM

I buy something larger than $25 about once every five years. It's been 18 months since the Jake, by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger again, you will of forgotten my technique.

Why are you so darn secretive? Are you in the witness protection program or something? Running a 'breaking bad' operation in the basement? I'm thinking it's high time to get the effa bee eye in here, honestly.  :rolling:

:watch_over_fence:

• Bolens 1000 and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#22 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,679 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 08:49 PM

I buy something larger than $25 about once every five years. It's been 18 months since the Jake, by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger again, you will of forgotten my technique.

Why are you so darn secretive? Are you in the witness protection program or something? Running a 'breaking bad' operation in the basement? I'm thinking it's high time to get the effa bee eye in here, honestly.  :rolling:

:watch_over_fence:

You find some good deals! I have a hard time paying less than $25 for shipping on most of the stuff I have bought over the years :poke:

Not really trying to be secretive, just figured when it comes to bidding/ buying staying quiet is usually the best thing to do if you want to keep the prices low, if someone knows you want it then they will be more likely to bid a higher amount knowing someone else may go after it.

As for Breaking bad if this was a week ago I wouldn't know what you were talking about but somehow I got hooked on watching the whole series this weekend when they ran the marathon :D

• Cat385B and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#23 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,266 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Years ago, everyone had a system and kept it secret. (Kinda like Vegas)
Now, google how to bid on eBay and there are more bidding styles than auctions. So many they almost cancel each other out.
https://www.google.c...n&client=safari

I use the chicken bones and ivory dice method.
  • Cat385B said thank you

#24 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 08:59 PM

I use the chicken bones and ivory dice method.

I ran out of rabbit blood and my wife won't let me set a fire in the basement of the new house, that's why I only have won one auction in the last 7 years. :wallbanging:

• MH81 said thank you

#25 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:14 PM

nobody is winning or losing by those programs on eBay. High bid wins. Doesn't matter if you make the bid with 7days or 7 seconds left. It doesn't matter how whoever bids. It's he who bids most that wins.

Right...the plus for me with those programs, is that I can never remember to bid in the first place, and the program does it for me. 

I may put something on my watch list (I review certain searches for new listings each morning, during the first of the three 'S's), then I forget about the darn auctions for aproximately 8 days...1 day longer than the auction lasts.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#26 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Daniel's method is the way I think.  If you are willing to pay $400 for something, for goodness sake set that at your highest bid.  Sure my flesh crawls when the other sucker gets it for $401, but I said $400, and let the guy who wants it most win.

Ben W.

• pigsitter and OkieGt have said thanks

#27 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,699 Thanks
  • 8,892 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:17 PM

I may put something on my watch list (I review certain searches for new listings each morning, during the first of the three 'S's), then I forget about the darn auctions for aproximately 8 days...1 day longer than the auction lasts.

Got room for a dry erase board on the wall across from the Ferguson? I'll try to find an AC one for ya.

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#28 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:29 PM

Got room for a dry erase board on the wall across from the Ferguson? I'll try to find an AC one for ya.

I do have a dry erase board!  :thumbs:

Here's another thing that kinda irks me on the ebay thing...I use them as a last resort when selling, for a lot of the reasons above.  Lately, I will rack up quite the contingent of 'watchers', questions, etc., but noone bids.  I put an opening bid amount of my lowest sale price, with no reserve.  One bid means it's sold...and I watch from there to see where it goes.  But, it seems folks no longer will bid until the last couple hours, and I keep my listings up elsewhere (here, craigslist, etc), because I'd rather trade or sell without fees being taken out.  By the time the last day of the auction rolls around, I've sold the item, and pulled the auction.  THEN...the emails come.  All sorts of:

"Is the tractor still available"

"Will you take $XXX.XX for the tractor"

"Can I come look at it"

"Why did you end the auction"

"Can I still bid"

and of course all sorts of opinions on my lack of seeing the auction through.

My thing is, if there is a bid...one bid, any bid, the tractor is sold and I honor that, and kill my other listings.  But folks who seeminly intend to bid wait, and I can't if an interested party steps up.  Ebay is a tool for me, not the end-all.

On the other hand, when I see something I want to bid on, I bid.  I may hold my max bid till the end, but I bid early to show I'm in the game and ready to make a transaction.  I'm often not the highest guy in the end, but I'm very often the first.  Am I alone there?

• Sawdust and OkieGt have said thanks

#29 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:38 PM

Daniel's method is the way I think.  If you are willing to pay $400 for something, for goodness sake set that at your highest bid.  Sure my flesh crawls when the other sucker gets it for $401, but I said $400, and let the guy who wants it most win.

Ben W.

That would be me every time. Once bid 50.00 over my previous bid seconds before the end of the auction because the guy kept bidding over me using a one click bid, he won it, but I know he messed his pants when he saw what he won it for

• Talntedmrgreen and superaben have said thanks

#30 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:51 PM

The problem with placing your max early your giving the one click bidders a chance to weed you out or find out what your max is. I never bid until 2 seconds before it goes down then I drop my max. If I loose only the winner weeds me out.