#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 04:02 PM

Got to hear me Blow-off again on epay, sorry!   Was bidding on a nice Speedex 1630 and was winning right up to the last second. Thought I had it and then when checked, was NOT the winner. OOOOH!

I can't see the seconds count down on my big puter, but was watching on my Pad and it does count down as it ends. I had just put in one more big bid to keep people back, I hoped. Was ending at $308 for close and I had big up to $422. About $427 got it. Must have had one of those special programs?? Think those need to be outlawed on there. Same guy had a broken down Cub Lowboy which I was high on long time, but didn't wanna go for that if the Speedes wasn't mine. So last minute someone got that too. Glad of that. Guess No Trip this time.

If anyone on here won that Speedex, I now Hate You!  Just kiddin'!  Anyone here get it?

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Was it worth the $427 to you? If so, why didn't you bid that high?

The last thing I got on Ebay through an actual auction was that monster Jacobsen. It was at $875 with an hour to go. One minute to go, it was at $925. With 5 seconds to go, I hit confirm on my $1,350 bid. Got it for $1,009.99, but I was willing to spend $1,350 for it. So that's what I bid. At the last second.

Special program or not, you got outbid. Nothing unfair about that.

• js5020, NJKen and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 04:24 PM

Yup, I've been burned, and now bid like CAT.  I've been suprised to find how much lower than my max bid (proxy bid) the auctions often end at. 

Locally, we have an online auction each week, and I usually find something to bid on there.  It's a bear...can't recall what they call it, but when the auction is within 15 minutes of ending, any bid placed adds 10 minutes more to the clock.  So, I usually put my biig bid in about 16 minutes before it ends and never look again.  I don't win often, but when I do, they seem to be great wins.  That's how I landed my Homelite, and gorgeously restored Simplicity 700, OEM gang reel set, a couple NOS attachments, and countless other items.

I often see the high priced craigslist tractors make their way to that auction, and fetch a more fair, market price than the original listed ads had on them.

• js5020, boyscout862 and OkieGt have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 04:26 PM

I do the same, bid my max at the very last.  That is unless my max has already been exceeded before that time.

• pigsitter and Sawdust have said thanks

#5 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 04:31 PM

My biggest problem with eBay is that when you report fraud they don't take any action. There is a guy that is selling Briggs and Stratton coils on there right now that shows the coil, the box, a couple of wires and instructions, and it said last one left, it also did when another guy i know bought one. both of us received a Chinese made coil, no Briggs box, no wires, no instructions, just a note saying sorry box was damaged. eBays response to my complaint was that, why did it matter as long as it would work. Right now I am into my third week trying to get my money back from a well known outfit that sent a partial order after I canceled the order because the ad said COMPLETE set and it was not a complete set, not even close, so now I have to wait 3 weeks even though the company agreed not to send it and to cancel the order the day of the sale through eBay messenger. You cannot leave negative feedback to power sellers or sellers that have any kind of return policy, even if that return policy means you will pay for the return shipping and/or restocking. Bottom line is why should eBay care about fraud if they get a cut. I'm probably wasting my time with this, all my complaints about fraud get deleted at ebay and all the forums anyway, nevermind

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 04:33 PM

OK, Cat, slap my knuckles!   I was about at end of what I wanted to pay.  Sure, I coulda put $2000 on and won probly, but surely can't go that high and would not have been a bargain. When you have to drive long ways to pick-up, the cost becomes more then also. Guess I reached my limit on it. 

• Sawdust and OkieGt have said thanks

#7 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 04:37 PM

Yup, I've been burned, and now bid like CAT.  I've been suprised to find how much lower than my max bid (proxy bid) the auctions often end at. 

Locally, we have an online auction each week, and I usually find something to bid on there.  It's a bear...can't recall what they call it, but when the auction is within 15 minutes of ending, any bid placed adds 10 minutes more to the clock.  So, I usually put my biig bid in about 16 minutes before it ends and never look again.  I don't win often, but when I do, they seem to be great wins.  That's how I landed my Homelite, and gorgeously restored Simplicity 700, OEM gang reel set, a couple NOS attachments, and countless other items.

I often see the high priced craigslist tractors make their way to that auction, and fetch a more fair, market price than the original listed ads had on them.

Gun Broker .com lets bids come in 15 minutes after the auction closes. If a bid comes in within that time the auction is on again, now tell me what world do these guys live in???????????? 

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 04:39 PM

OK, Cat, slap my knuckles!   I was about at end of what I wanted to pay.  Sure, I coulda put $2000 on and won probly, but surely can't go that high and would not have been a bargain. When you have to drive long ways to pick-up, the cost becomes more then also. Guess I reached my limit on it. 

I gotta go wash the blood off this ruler, I think it's JDBrian's ruler. (metric)

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#9 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 05:51 PM

I use a sniper tool. Watch what I want, then bid my max bid at the last 2 seconds. Works excellent and if I get it for the max price I'm willing to pay, then I'm happy.  Helps also by not allowing me to bid more in a "heat of the moment" so to speak.

• WNYTractorTinkerer and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 06:00 PM

I've used and very much like "auction stealer dot com" for 8-10 years and have won more auctions then I can remember with it. IMO there is nothing at all wrong with it. I put the max I'm willing to pay for something in and either I win it or I don't.

I often don't have time to place my bids in the last seconds of the auction.
The one thing I can't stand ? Is the ones who have bidding wars and think they have to have the highest bid throughout the entire auction. Those are the ones I like to win the most.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 06:05 PM

One trick I have used & it has worked many times. Bid more than the bid increments. Example....If the minimum bid increment is $1. bid the dollar plus change. Example bid increment for higher priced items may be $10. increments bid $11. plus change. I have won a lot of things by just a few cents or dollars because it was an odd amount.
  • pigsitter said thank you

#12 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 06:13 PM

I always put my max I'm willing to pay in right away as soon as I bid on something.If I get it I get it.I don't oh well theres always next time.None of that last sec stuff.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 06:28 PM

I never use a sniping program and I've only lost 3 auctions out of 30 or more. I wait until the last 3-5 seconds to bid, then if it's within my price range I go big, the highest I am willing to pay, far too often other peoples next bid or sniping bid is not high enough to beat me with one bid and they don't have time to bid twice

• Sawdust said thank you

#14 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 07:12 PM

so.... Anyone else see this thread turning into a negative besides me?

Is it really a good idea telling people how you bid on an open forum? Wont people now do the same? :wallbanging: :hitting_self_roller:

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#15 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 07:14 PM

nobody is winning or losing by those programs on eBay. High bid wins. Doesn't matter if you make the bid with 7days or 7 seconds left. It doesn't matter how whoever bids. It's he who bids most that wins.

Edited by BairleaFarm, January 02, 2014 - 07:15 PM.

• IamSherwood said thank you