• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 ibskot OFFLINE  

ibskot
  • Member No: 52175
  • 26 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for all the help. I have a couple wheel horses. 12hp and 16hp. I guess I need a tiller. I want to try and do as much as I can in a seated position. Not because I am lazy (depends on who you ask) but because I have bad feet and the twisting and torquing of your body that a walk behind gives ain't for me. So I will need wide rows and a pull behind tiller.

Thanks.

I will post pix.
  • MH81 said thank you

#17 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Another option if you have poor soil conditions is to go raised beds, I use/need no equipment to tend mine, its just not necessary.  Its not a popular option on a tractor forum since there is little tractor work to be done.

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:35 PM

Another option if you have poor soil conditions is to go raised beds, I use/need no equipment to tend mine, its just not necessary.  Its not a popular option on a tractor forum since there is little tractor work to be done.

I have been experimenting with wide rows(no frames) formed by running the tractor with middle buster in one direction, then turning around at the end of the row and then running the tractor wheel right along the berm, pushing soil towards the last berm.
A little work with the rake makes a row about 2 ft wide on top of the berm. I can then plant things like onions 4 wide on top of the berm. Close enough together to allow them to make good size yet they make enough shade to stifle weeds.

#19 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 12:09 AM

All that can garden in any manner in their native soil are fortunate, I cannot. I have Way to many rocks for the proper care of vegatables. I use raised beds with frames, I have to make soil, its just about the only option for me.  The only hard labor is making and filling a new bed, after that its pretty easy and not time consuming even using hand tools.  Once things are planted I only need to water (need to do the irrigation thing) and mulch with the lawn clippings,, and wait.