5 replies to this topic

#1 mjay OFFLINE  

mjay

• Member No: 1209
  • 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 08:59 AM

Hi guys,

anyone have a wiring diagram for a JD 455?
My fuel pump is intermittent, I can hear things going on with the PCBs under the dash as it cuts in and out. I dont like digging in without a diagram.

It died the other day in the middle of the drive. It has a mid mounted deck and a rear PTO driven collector, weighs well over a ton. It was pretty tricky to move with no power. Had to drag it with the tractor.

Thanks

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 09:22 AM

:welcome: to GTTALK mjay, sounds like an intermittent safety switch to me. I'd check the seat switch first.

#3 mjay OFFLINE  

mjay

• Member No: 1209
  • 6 Thanks
  • 65 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 09:56 AM

Hi MH, thanks for the welcome.

The tractor didn't have many safety switches left when I got it (really it didnt!).
The pump which has the problem is the lift pump in the tank, I believe this should pump all the time the ignition is on (or it has on all the other 455s I have used).
The engine is killed by the stop solenoid on the injector pump when the safety switches are activated.

I'm wondering if one of the PCBs has a break in it, or if one of the wires is damaged. It doesn't seem to follow any pattern when it happens. The first time was mowing under heavy load, and it has happened since when sitting idling.

#4 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 10:42 AM

I have no experience with the 455's, but that sounds like a bad connection. I'd start at the ignition and work back, following the circuit. check and clean each connector.

If it's a cracked PCB, the crack is likely so small that you'll have trouble seeing it. One thing I have seen on PCB's is that the solder cracks where the component attaches. It's usually really hard to see, so I like to use a magnifier when looking at it. It's easy to fix though...just re-solder the connections.

If the safety switches were already over-ridden when you got it, find where that was done. That would be the likely place for a problem to show up.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 12:34 PM

...One thing I have seen on PCB's is that the solder cracks where the component attaches. It's usually really hard to see, so I like to use a magnifier when looking at it. It's easy to fix though...just re-solder the connections...

I have also learned that if ANY of the solder connections is not shiny, re-solder them ALL! Cold solder joints can be a real bear to troubleshoot and like the Rev said, it's just easier to go over them than to try and find the one or two that are intermittent!

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 12:53 PM

I have also learned that if ANY of the solder connections is not shiny, re-solder them ALL! Cold solder joints can be a real bear to troubleshoot and like the Rev said, it's just easier to go over them than to try and find the one or two that are intermittent!

Yeah, that's a good plan. Also pay particular attention to anything large and heavy, especially heat sinks.