grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 08:00 AM

I had posted on the calendar section that today is Boxing Day for all of our Canadian friends. I looked it up on line but would welcome some more info from our members.
  • dryrun said thank you

#2 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 08:38 AM

Excelent post GRAND, I would like to know more about it myself. I don't know If your supposed to say HAPPY BOXING DAY, or maybe Happy Feast of St.STEPHEN. I guess we get so wrapped up in Christmas, it kind of gets forgotten down here.

Regards George

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 08:51 AM

I had referred to Boxing Day on another forum & Maynard was kind enough to send me the following information.

December 26 is called Boxing Day in England and other countries in the Commonwealth, but it is unknown exactly when it first began.
Boxing Day seems to have originated in the mid nineteenth century in England. Some historians believe the name 'Boxing Day' came about because the boxes placed in churches where parishioners deposited alms (coins) for the poor and needy were opened, and the contents were distributed on December 26, which is also the Feast of St Stephen. (St Stephen was the first Christian martyr.)
Others believe that the Boxing Day tradition originated as a holiday for members of the upper class to give boxes containing food, clothing or money to tradespeople and servants, in much the same way that many employers offer their employees bonuses today. These gifts were usually given in boxes; hence the name 'Boxing Day".
Oxford English Dictionary says this comes from the Christmas box; the verb box meaning: To give a Christmas-box, and then leading to the term boxing-day.
An extension of the above theory is that when Christmas holidays were much shorter than they are today certain services often only had Christmas Day as a holiday and returned to work the day after. These included services such as the mail, newspaper or milk delivery. Householders would give them a Christmas gift or, as it was commonly called, a Christmas box on this day to thank them for their service throughout the year.
The common theme, however, is that Boxing Day has absolutely nothing to do with the sport of boxing.
Likewise, it does not gain its name from the overpowering need to rid the house of an excess of wrappings and mountains of now useless cardboard boxes the day after St Nick arrived to turn a perfectly charming and orderly home into a maelstrom of discarded tissue paper.
The name also has nothing to do with returning unwanted gifts to the stores they came from, despite its common association with hauling about boxes on the day after Christmas.

Thanks Maynard & have a Happy Boxing Day!

Edited by MH81, December 26, 2010 - 09:02 AM.

• dryrun said thank you

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 09:03 AM

Your welcome Alan.
  • grand and MH81 have said thanks

#5 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 09:13 AM

HAPPY BOXING DAY MAYNARD, AND ALL CANADIAN AND BRITISH COMMONWEALTH FRIENDS!
{now that I know what to say}

Best regards George

Edited by dryrun, December 26, 2010 - 09:22 AM.

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 09:15 AM

Thank you George.
I can't say that too many up here actually celebrate much of anything on the 26th any more though.

#7 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 10:17 AM

The other thing here is that Boxing Day now is like what your Black Friday is like.The Retailers open there doors early and have marked down prices on stuff.People start linning up late Christmas Day night to get in line lots camp out etc to try and be first to get into the stores on boxing day.Me I just stay away from the madness.Larry

#8 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 11:43 AM

I plan on buying some lumber today, but generally I stay away from the stores on Boxing Day. It's nothing but a huge retail cash grab now.

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 12:19 PM

Happiest of Boxing days to all of our Canadian brothers!

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 12:56 PM

Happiest of Boxing days to all of our Canadian brothers!

Hey, like I said, I'm buying lumber. That always makes me happy!

#11 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 01:51 PM

Boxing Day is the day that all the ingrates that didn't like what they got for Xmas return them for refunds.....My daughter just got back......but, I'm not bitter........lol

Me, I don't go near the stores on Boxing Day.....or the next few days for that matter.....too many lineups.......

#12 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 02:04 PM

Not even for lumber or tractor parts, Poncho?

#13 poncho62 OFFLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 02:19 PM

Not even for lumber or tractor parts, Poncho?

We all have our priorities......lol

#14 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 02:46 PM

Me, I don't go near the stores on Boxing Day.....or the next few days for that matter.....too many lineups.......

Same here,you got that right.

#15 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 03:42 PM

Turns out that Boxing Day is a premium day to buy lumber. There was nobody else in that section of Home Depot and no lineup at the contractor's checkout. Unfortunately McDiarmid Lumber and the CO-OP out in Oakbank were closed, so I couldn't go there. One thing I really hate about Home Depot is that you have to load that stupid little cart, then push it out to the truck and load the truck. You have to handle every piece of lumber twice. Real lumber yards let you drive up next to the lumber and load it directly into your truck. Also, I forgot to check my nail supply, so I'm going to have get some ammo for the air nailer.