19 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 02:27 PM

Just took the 4 year old, wife, 11 year old sister in law and myself to see a movie.

40 dollars for tickets. 2 nachos and 3 drinks 1 pop corn. 37 dollars. 77.10 to see a movie.

my complaint isn't so much the money but young families who don't have a lot of cash could hardly go see a movie!

Why does this stuff have to cost so much? I know movies have always been expensive. We hardly went when I was a kid because we didn't have the money.
  • daytime dave, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 03:09 PM

yeh im hearing ya, its usually to expensive for us also so we go on tuesdays (bargin night $6.99) and make a point of getting some pocket treats at the bulk store, i normally would not do this but they peeve me off charging $3 FOR A .69 cent chocalate bar, and come on $5 for a bag of popcorn. after the show we all go to wendys for frostys, nachos and burg, probably all for a lot less than your $37  and it becomes an evening out that is fairly afforsdable for a family of 5

Edited by farmer john, January 01, 2014 - 04:01 PM.

• daytime dave, hamman, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 03:48 PM

Back when I was a teenager (yes they kept track that far back) I worked part time at a movie theater where I ran the projector and the little concession stand part time. The popcorn was priced 2 times over the cost of it. Sodas were priced about 3 times over the cost. I have talked to a present day theater owner who wouldn't say how much popcorn cost now but said he makes mostof his money on concessions. He has to pay a percentage of the ticket sales to the distribution company, plus has to pay to get the right to show the film. All concessions are bought by him at wholesale rates. A lot of the popcorn is popped early and placed in bags then put in warming boxes to be served from. I just saw that our theater, who by the way has gone from being open 5 days a week are now open only 3 days a week, has 5 theaters inside and they only run about 3 or 4 now days. No more senior discounts, just matena (sp) on Sat and Sun.. Regular price during week days.  If I want candy I stop at Wal-mart or BuyLow and get it for a better price. Still haven't figured out how to get those jumbo popcorns in without them seeing it. LOL  It sure doesn't make it easy for a family to enjoy a night out at the movies at the prices they are charging now. My next movie to see will be Lone Survivor. Haven't been to a movie in nearly two years. Thanks. Roger.

• daytime dave, Alc, IamSherwood and 1 other said thanks

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 04:05 PM

you would think they would do the math especially if concessions are their main stay, 1/2 a theather at $12 or a full one at $8 and that many more buying their over priced junk

• Alc, hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 04:06 PM

We never go see the premier flicks. We always wait & see them later or on dvd. We also eat before we go. Since my wife saw a special about bed bugs & found out theaters & cruise ships are the worse it's hard to get her to go :(
  • daytime dave, Alc, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 04:37 PM

This is the first movie I have seen in theater for a few years. The girls wanted to see the new Disney movie frozen.

I figured what the heck. My main complaint in this world is that even simple things people should be able to enjoy just cost too much money. The movie industry is just full of money hungry people who are just out to get rich.

I know we would of been better to eat before or after but I wanted nachos lol
  • Alc, hamman, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 05:15 PM

We never go see the premier flicks. We always wait & see them later or on dvd. We also eat before we go.

Yep, as kids, now new movies seem all the same stuff, same story line, different plot.

Same with public shows.

• hamman, JRJ and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 05:19 PM

When I was a kid, 50 years ago, the local matinees were 35 cents. Our local theatre was $5 up until it closed about 7 years ago. Its easier, safer, and cheaper to get the DVD from our town library when it comes out. Think cheap. This year the financial wheels are going to come off. Good Luck, Rick

• daytime dave, hamman, IamSherwood and 2 others have said thanks

#9 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 05:22 PM

. Since my wife saw a special about bed bugs & found out theaters & cruise ships are the worse it's hard to get her to go frown1.gif

Wow, never heard of the bedbug stuff.  

Good reason to avoid the high prices.  I think the prices they charge at the concession stand are terrible.

• hamman, boyscout862, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 05:42 PM

We (wife & I) just got back from a movie......Popcorn & 2 drinks were more expensive than the movie tickets!

• Alc, hamman, JRJ and 1 other said thanks

#11 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,577 Thanks
  • 920 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 06:01 PM

Way back in my day,, We went to the drive in and paid by the car and bought all our own snacks. aaah,  those were the days. It  was even more fun before I got married.  :D  :D  

• hamman, boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#12 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 06:10 PM

Glad you brought up the bed bug thing. After movies we had to clean the theater, and spray the seats with a light spray of commercial dissenfectant. Then and only then was it good enough for the next audience to enter. We had movies 7 nights a week. Wed had two, Fri, Sat and Sunday had afternoon matinee and two nightly showings. I got paid $2:00 an hour to work there. that was 1965 -66- and 67.    Roger.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Hadn't been to a theater in years, went at Christmas for a food drive for the local kitchen.
The films at our local theater have been $3 for years. They only did it to break even for the kids.
Local burch just bought it for the same reason. We will see if they continue the low prices etc.
  • hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#14 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:05 PM

Some of these new theaters have put in moving seats or bigger ones... reserved boxes, etc to try and get even more for tickets on those items.   Sometimes you don't even have a choice if the movie and time you want to see is in 3d or with the big sound system or whatever.  IT's getting wierd.

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#15 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:08 PM

Yup the movies are spendy, but its "entertainment" so folks dont seem to mind forkin over that coin.  Good thing there are others out there going cause they would starve waitin for me to show up.

• hamman, Team_Green, JRJ and 1 other said thanks