22 replies to this topic

#16 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 07:08 PM

You go by a garage sale and see the 75 pound cast JD weights for 10 bucks. Then get home to glare ice under 6 inches of snow. All you have is a gt with 12" rims, no weight, and a plow.

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure, you wouldn't.  :smilewink:

I wouldn't. First I dont have a John Deere so I would never buy a John Deere part, I only buy parts and accesories for the tractors I own. Second I dont like 75 lb weights, the last set I got on a tractor I sold for 40-50- bucks the minute I could. And third I'd rather fluid fill than have that much weight on the rims. I like about 25-35, sometimes 50 lbs at the most then the rest inside the rim in te form of WW or rim guard. But I would never buy Cub weights or Deere weights, I'd rather leave those to the the yellow and green guys. I mean a guy has to have standards lol, lol, lol.

#17 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 08:02 PM

I mean a guy has to have standards lol, lol, lol.

Right!? =]

#18 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 08:18 PM

Wow, there is a lot of cast iron snobbery going on here.   :D

At the end of the day, I'm pretty sure they all weigh right around 16 ounces to the pound and that snow and ice really isn't going to know the difference in paint color.  :smilewink:

• rustyoldjunk and MH81 have said thanks

#19 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 09:03 PM

They look alot like these

Attached Thumbnails

• Agson2.JPG

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 09:12 PM

I honestly could care just a little less than 1% of one rats behind who made the weight if I need some on a tractor.
Would I PREFER the OEM weights, well yes, yes I would... But if I don't have them and need gravity enhancement... I will use whatever.
As for cub weights, mine have worked very well and they didnt hurt me one bit. They even looked better than the old brake rotors that I had to use the first year because I didnt have anything else

We now return you to your original scheduled thread. Sorry about the hijack.
  • olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#21 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 10:44 PM

I guess it isn't so much an issue of snobbery, but of those that collect and those that use, or do both. I am very picky about what I buy, must come from first, second owner, or relative, must have been cared for and not abused, it doesn't have to be running, but it cant have been altered, modified or changed in design. My rules are not because I'm a purist, I'm not, not because I'm a collector, I'm using them as well. I don't show them, not anymore, I don't want to derive envy or jealousy from others, or take credit for something I did not create. I have many old GTs that I have the honor to take care of. These old machines were the best products made in the world and they were made right here in the USA. I have a duty that while I use them, that I also respect them, and by doing so I honor those men and women that designed and built them. To think of these tractors as tools is a person's perogative, but to revere them is showing maturity and respect. After all, isn't that why we want to have them in our lives, at least I want to believe that's everyones motive.

Edited by OkieGt, January 01, 2014 - 12:15 AM.

• Talntedmrgreen and zippy1 have said thanks

#22 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 01:01 AM

I have many old GTs that I have the honor to take care of. These old machines were the best products made in the world and they were made right here in the USA. I have a duty that while I use them, that I also respect them, and by doing so I honor those men and women that designed and built them. To think of these tractors as tools is a person's perogative, but to revere them is showing maturity and respect. After all, isn't that why we want to have them in our lives, at least I want to believe that's everyones motive.

:yeah_that: Well said :thumbs:

• OkieGt said thank you

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 01:08 AM

I have two cents here. I like original
wheel weights on my Springfields, but, I have used Bolens, Farmall, and Gravely wheel weights on them as well. I also didnt have much in those weights. What I did have was a want of more traction on the tow tractor so I could steer the tractors I can only move by dragging.

And one thing I never do.... Is misadvertise my parts. If it isnt oem, im not the only one that knows. Now, lets get back to identifying these weights, and hope that they can fund more tractors.
  • KennyP and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks